Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shops in houston?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm sending my gf to houston next week to buy me a weaver grand slam scope.

So i need to know where she can get one. As near as possible from the city.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Best chance to have the scope you want would be Carter's Country on I-10, next would be Bass Pro Shops at Katy Mills on I-10 West at Katy, then the Gander Mountains stores on 59 South at Richmond or 290 at 1960. I would call information and get the phone numbers and check with the stores before I did all that driving around just to make sure they have what you want.

A better plan is to go to this website

http://www.theopticzone.com/

and save a lot of money on the scope, get exactly what you want and get that free jacket on the webpage advertisement. You'll find the service first rate.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The thing is that i'm from sweden and she's going to Houston on a business trip. But if she doesn't find it i will order it from opticzone

posted Hide Post
Have her call the Carter Country in Pasadena, they are listed as a dealer. The number is (713)475-2222

Posts: 5 | Location: Tx | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pitepalt:
The thing is that i'm from sweden and she's going to Houston on a business trip. But if she doesn't find it i will order it from opticzone

PM me with the dates she will be in town and where she will be staying.If I can I would be happy to help out.I will know my work schedule on Sunday.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pitepalt,

Another option is to have the item shipped to the Hotel where she is staying. We have done this several times with success for our international customers.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok that sounds great. I'll check with her tomorrow.

But the problem is that shes staying only a few days and what happens if she allready left?

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
If she has reservations you can call the hotel ahead of time and if she can recieve a package before she gets there. They will probably say yes. Find what you want, order it, and have it shipped on a schedule to arrive the day she does. IF it's UPS they will rarely if ever be more than a day late. Jon can probably verify this.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
pitepalt, Here are some local place that you could contact via the net for prices and see if they stock the model you are looking for.Or get it for you in time for your gf visit.

http://www.amshootcenters.com/

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

http://www.fountainfirearms.com/

Here is a link for a large Texas optic house not in Houston,but they could ship it to the hotel as well.

http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/253/rifle_scopes...lam_rifle_scopes.htm

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for www.theopticzone.com as well.

Carter's Country (3 locations around Houston) used to be a terrific place to shop. But they beagn to employ "sales" people instead of "gun" people, and I quit shopping there a few years ago. I've had several bad experiences there, the last of which made me decide I don't need to put up with that type of treatment. I asked if they had "any used bolt rifles in 7-08." The guy told me there has never been such a thing, that I am confused as this is a round for lever actions only. So I politely tried to tell him HE was confused and that he's thinking of the 7-30 Waters and not the 7-08. He got irate, told me he worked behind the counter for a reason and that I didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. Maybe he forgot to take his prozac. But I did write a letter to management regarding this incident.

Another time, an elderly gentleman purchased a Handi-Rifle for his grandson. He wanted to look at a used scope from the display case. If I remember correctly, it was a newer-model K4 that appeared to be in good condition (though I did not get to take a closer look at it). Instead of getting the scope out, the guy brings him a Leupold Vari-X III that had a price tag of more than $600. The gentleman tried to tell the salesman that he had a budget to stay within, but he told him his grandson would be disappointed and would never kill a deer if he put a piece of "junk" on that rifle.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but I chimed in and gave my opinion. The salesperson became somewhat belligerent after that and then walked away. I had an older Tasco 4x40 (the good "made in Japan" version) in my truck and told him he could have it. It was heavily used but had always held zero quite well. And, the optics on it were pretty decent.

He was extremely appreciative and tried several times to pay me.

A couple of months later, I get a call at our business, and as my wife hands me the phone, she tells me it's someone from Humble, TX. Turns out, it's this same gentleman telling me that his grandson took a doe and a coyote with the rifle and that the youngster was quite ecstatic with his hunting success.

Perhaps Carter's Country has since changed, but I don't plan to find out any time soon...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Carter's Country on Wilcrest is a decent place to buy a Surefire flashlight at best.They are a horrible joke!!!The one on I-10 looked at a rifle that I owned and said they thought that no one should own a gun that looked that dangerous.(It was a .50 bmg That I was trying to get rings for.They told me Leupold did not make any scope that are 30 mm.)After the sold me the wrong rings and I had to drive cross town.They really suck extra hard!!!

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, for reloading supplies it is Carter's Country or the internet. I think if someone opened up a specialty reloading place and carried some inventory they could do quite well in a city of 3 million.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Unfortunately, for reloading supplies it is Carter's Country or the internet. I think if someone opened up a specialty reloading place and carried some inventory they could do quite well in a city of 3 million.

Woods,Your doing better then I ever did by them.Two years ago I was shopping for a buddies X-mas gift.270 dies and shell holder.Wrong again!!!!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all help! Don't think she's to happy about running arround lookning for my scope. So I think I'll go for the "order to the hotel" option.

And baboon, I'll send you a PM if I need your help Cool . Thanks!

Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will second that...I only go in there because I am too impatient to wait on UPS most of the time and with S&H it usually works out about the same.

I think Fountain Firearms is one of the few "authentic" gun shops left in town that won't bend you over on price. I refuse to set foot in Collector's due to their price gouging.

I would give a serious look into The Optic Zone. Just went that route with a Conquest for my 375 and have been nothing but happy.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:

Carter's Country (3 locations around Houston) used to be a terrific place to shop. But they beagn to employ "sales" people instead of "gun" people, and I quit shopping there a few years ago. I've had several bad experiences there, the last of which made me decide I don't need to put up with that type of treatment.

If that is not the truth. I was just dying laughing when I read these posts about Carters Country. I honestly find it hard to believe that someone could actually work in a gun store and know so little about guns. I had one employee tell me that I needed high Optilock rings for my Sako to mount a 50mm scope. I told him that actually the lows would work, because Sako's rings are different than the other brands, but I wanted the mediums. He almost wouldn't let me order the mediums saying they wouldn't work. Anyway once i got them installed I brought the rifle up there with the scope mounted and showed him. Showed another employee some rounds out at the treaschwig store that were flattening primers, (little to hot Smiler) And he told me that was NORMAL and that 60 percent of all rifles do that and I shouldn't be concerned. I asked him if he loaded his own ammo and the answer was "NO". Had yet another one tell me that the only people who chamber .204 Ruger were Ruger and Remington. rotflmo

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:

Gander Mountain, Bass pro shops. Not the selection that Carter's has, but you could get lucky.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Seems like everyone's experience with Carter's Country has been horrible. How do they stay in business???

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like everyone's experience with Carter's Country has been horrible. How do they stay in business???

Somehow the words "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind. I think their average customer is lacking in their gun knowledge, and never bothers to research what they are buying, or what they are being told.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS I've said before, I lurk more than I post. However, I thought I'd put in my $.02 worth.

Guess I must be the one guy who keeps them in business.
I've traded at the Carter's Pasadena store since 1995. They are open seven days a week. Probably have a million or two in inventory. If I want I can drive the 5 miles to their store, pick up a pound of just about any type of powder, cleaning supplies, primers, bullets, reloading manual. Stoney point oal guage, no problem, Reloading dies, no problem. Currently I reload for about 35 different chamberings, and don't buy factory ammo. But if I did, I could pick up just about any ammo I wanted on my way to the deer lease.

Don't know Bill Carter. Only met him once. Introduced myself and told him I appreciated being able to buy just about anything I needed for reloading 5 miles from my home, and not having to call Natchez or Midway and wait 3 days to a week to get my reloading supplies. I've been self employed all my adult life and as a business owner, I appreciate what Carter offers.

Probably have bought 40 used long guns and 10 to 15 pistols from them in the last 10 years. First rifle I bought was an ugly Savage 112FV in 22-250 that had the stock painted with spray paint. Picked it up for $175. Redid the stock and its a one hole shooter.
Picked up a Sako rifle there the other day, 375 H&H that had been bedded, and muzzle brake added, great wood, $500. Put it on lay away, paid it out weekly, no interest. Currently have a rem 700 C grade custom shop rifle and a Sako 222 in S491 on lay away. If I told you what I paid for them you'd swear I was lying.

Love their free finance sale. Wells Fargo buys their paper. I can purchase up to my credit limit and finance that purchase for 12 months with no interest. To me that is better than cash.

I know everyone at their Pasadena store and stop in there two or three times a week to buzz the used gun rack ,use the bathroom and get a cup of coffee. And when its 100 degrees in August and humidity is 105%, tht 68 degree air sure is nice to soak up.
Guess you could say I am a satisfied customer.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote