Find
Notify
Tools

Covers for AO scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I have the flip up covers from Butler Creek on a scope with an adjustable objective. I like it, except that I have to take it completely off if I want to shoot long range, as the open cover hits the stock at about the 300 yard setting.

I do NOT want to deal with loose covers in the field. This is a hunting rifle first, and the caps with an elestic band stink carrying in the field.

Is there a better system of flip open scope caps out there which lend themselves to adjustable objective scopes better?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have same problem on both ends of a Burris 4.5-14 x 42 Burris. The power adjustment is the entire ocular end cap.

Hope someone has a solution, but I haven't found it yet.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put a scope on without a AO adj. ring. Big Grin Big Grin

Isnt that to much crap to fiddle with in the field anyways?

Big GrinDont mean to be sound like a smart ass

I have a variX III 4.5x14x40AO on a .270 that im going to take off and put a 3x9 on.

Ive been shooting a 2x7 every weekend at 200 yards and have been getting as tight of groups with it as my 14x scope and easyer, quicker sighting than the 14X

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it is too much touble in the field, except that I'm not wealthy and have few rifles (and same number of scopes) that I use for many uses. I probably shoot 200:1 targets to game. The same scope on the same rifle has to do equally well for both. In the field it's set and forget. At the range is where it gets in the way...and I guess I'm just too lazy to pull it off...sorta defeats the purpose ya know! I'll go side focus from now on, but it's too nice of a scope to ditch.

I had a brain storm though last night...I may put it on upside down, so that at the 100 yard setting the opened cap rests on the barrel. It should swing free when turned both directions that way...we'll see how that works. It'll be ugly, but so am I.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH , I hear ya , I aint rich either.

Couple of my rifles,, the Butler creek covers hit the bolt handle(low scope mount) , so I have to take the eye piece off to shoot. What the hell...

The eye cover is good for when Im cleaning the bore cause it keeps bore cleaner splatter from getting on the lens! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote