Find
Notify
Tools

What scope do you have on youe 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what is the most common , what size Recticle

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have a 4-12x Leupold Rifleman on my Ruger #1 and a Straight 6 power Leupold on my Enfield. Had a Weaver V7 on a M70 I had once. All duplex reticles but I like the German 3 posts best. Actually, I like 3 minute dots but no one makes those any more. They are fast and your eye always concentrates on that dot.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
375 Ackley Improved, 1999MRC, Accurate innovations, English Walnut Stock, Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10 TDS reticle (illum)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a guess on my part, but I imagine that a good deal of the 375 H&H rifles you will encounter will wear something on the order of a 1.5 x 5 or 1.76 x 6 with a duplex reticle.

Myself and a couple of friends prefer the Leupold 2.5 x 8 with the duplex reticle.

Having said this, I have shot some amazing groups with a friend's .375 H&H that wears a Schmidt and Bender 1-4 scope. Great optics!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 2 different scopes depending on where and what I'm after. First is a Leupold LPS 1.75X6,wide duplex,when turned down low the field of view is very wide and easy to pick up things quick that are close, the second is a leupold 2.5x8,wide duplex. The 2.5x8 is my prefered scope on my hunting rifles.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
375 Ruger count here? IOR 6x42 with MP8 reticle

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
A Leupold VX II 3-9X in QD rings. If I'm so close I can't use the scope, I'll take it off and use the irons.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Leupold 2-7 with a Duplex reticle. It is fairly economical, has proven recoil resistant, has a very wide field at low power, and has plenty of magnification at the top power to take advantage of the .375's long range capabilities.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My two .375H&H's (a Blaser R93 & Winchester Model 70) both wear the same 1.5-4.5x26 with a #4 recticle Red Dot. They're marketed by a German gunsmith I know - he won't tell me where he sources them but somehow I suspect they're Meopta's. With the Blaser R93 I can mount any of the 7 different scopes I've got in their Saddle Mounts, one a 6x42 Schmidt & Bender that I took to African once as a back-up and used it for a coupla days. Good scope even at close range and certainly enough scope to cover any potential distance I'm gonna shoot at with this combination.

Anyway, the quality of the S&B is spectacular and the "No Names" quality is good, not great or spectacular, just solid; they've held up under a whole lot of rounds outa both rifles.

While not the sorta scope many use today for longer-r-r range and certainly not a common occurance for me but when it's required I've managed successful 300 meter shots with them, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 PH, 7a reticle slated for my 375 upon it's return from the gunsmith...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my Ruger#1 I have a Leupold 4x36. I have in the past used a Leupold 6x40. I like both very much and cannot tell a whole lot of difference between the two.

I have shot as close as 20yds, seems to work fine for me. I personaly do not care for varibles, I am always screwing around with the setting. Seems like more to go wrong can go wrong.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have now a Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x42 with Nº 4 reticle. In old machined steel Warne Premier bases and rings. The rifle is a Win 70 Pre-64 (1953). Used to have a S&B 1,25-4x20. Also with Ret 4. But the Zeiss has the same weight and covers my use of the .375 much better. Also have a back up scope, an old Redfield Bear Cub 1" also in old Warne Premier Rings. With a Nº4 reticule put by a very good optics smith at B. Aires.

Regards

PH

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
1 1/2 X 6 X 42 Kahles with an iluminated reticle. Works quite well although I have not seen this scope listed for sale in US lately.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Diavari 3-9 x36 bought a while back! (Years!) Duplex reticle. Brightest scope I own regardless of the make or size! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I'm with the crowd, 1.5-6x42 Docter Optik 30mm tube with Duplex crosshairs, performs flawlessly, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX3 1.75x6

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leupold 2.5 x 8 with the duplex reticle

+1

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX III 2.5 X 8 on two different 375 H&Hs

Will be putting a Trijicon 3 X 9 X 40 on a new one now at the gunsmith's

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought the gun in 1981 and put on a Bosh & Lomb 3x9x40 "Litesight" on it. I've really only fired about 80 rounds through it as I generally grab my .338WM instead. It is due for an upgrade on the scope.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Currently I have two scopes in Talley's.

#1: Leupold FX-III 6x42 w/ wide duplex. This is my primary scope. Light, fast, and no screwing with it. (I've been trying to sell this scope, but I finally found the right home for it on the .375. I really, really like it on this rifle.)

#2: Burris Euro-Diamond 1.1-4x w/ 3P#4 e-Dot.

What I want: Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 with either the #0, #56, or #60 e-dot. (I'd still back it up with the Leupold FX-III though). Well, that's the dream anyway...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
So far I havn't needed any scope on my .375 H&H (a Magnum Mauser in a really nicely grained/ black-streaked "English" walnut stock).

For the last 30+ years with this one I have just used the standard "parade" of open sight leaves, which I filed to "zero" myself. So I guess my "optic" device is my eye... I am one of those weird older shooters who:

A. LIKES open iron sights for potentially DG encounters (bears), and

B. Likes very little "V" to the rear sight blades. My blades are almost flat topped, with a platinum line up the middle of each. What little "V" exists in each is VERY shallow. I just set the largish front bead on top of the line and put it where I want to hit. Same rule applies as in pistol shooting: "Front sight, Front sight! FRONT SIGHT!!!"

May be theoretically unsound, but works fine for me out to about 125 yards. Beyond that distance I don't normally use a .375 Magnum in my hunting.

Please note, am not suggesting that anyone else do what I do. Just saying it CAN work, and has for me.

If I HAD to put a scope on my .375 Maggie (right now it isn't even drilled or tapped for bases), I'd use the very best quality 2x7-X I could afford, with a "Three heavy posts and fine CH" reticule.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
S&B 1.5-6 , Ill.Ret., Claw mts

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a NightForce 2.5x10 x32 with the new hunting low velocity ballistic reticle. This turnedout to be a really nice scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Vari-XIIc, 2-7x, Duplex Reticle, in Leupold QR mounts on a pre 64 Win 70.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either a Zeiss Conquest 2,5-8x32 or Diavari Victory 3-12x56 depending on what I hunt.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX-I 2-7x32 on my CZ-550.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swaro 1.5x6 PH with illuminated 4A in Talley QD's, and Sauer 'standard' irons on there if the scope goes...

The Swaro works great even at longer distance (for me 250-300 yards with my 375)

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1967. First buy was Redfield 1X4 in Redfield mounts. Put 200-300 rounds through gun in next 17 years without any problem. 1984. New scope Kahles 30mm Steel Tube Helia S 1.1-4.5X20 w/#8 reticle. Redfield bases and EAW rings. Sighted in with 1.5" - 2.0" groups @ 100m. Never changed adjustments since. Prob 600 - 700 full power rounds in next 26 years. I've thought about illuminated reticle several times but keep looking at Mr. Murphy staring over my shoulder and decide to do something else.

Don Boyd

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Kahles American Hunter 2x7 with Leupy QD mounts and rings.
Sean

Posts: 17 | Location: Kcmo | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski Z6 1.7-10. Perhaps the best all around scope built. Only thing better might be the illuminated version.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3-9 red trijicon triangle reticle on my win70. I love it, but if I could afford a Swarovski 1.75-10 or 1-6, that would be my choice

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My 375 H&H has a straight 6 power Cabela's Pine Ridge, with duplex cross hairs.

It was a $60.00 scope hen Cabela's sold them.

Put it on the rifle in 1998 and have only had to adjust the point of aim 2 or 3 times with about 400 rounds run thru the rifle.

When/if it wears out, I will find a good used El Paso steel tube Weaver K6 to replace it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
After years of using numerous scopes, including many variables, I developed a preference for fixed power scopes. Variables tend to be longer, heavier, and more prone to fogging or leaking. When using a variable, I always ended up keeping it either at the highest or the lowest power and not varying magnification at all. My .375 H&H has a Zeiss 4x.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
On the two that I have owned:

Leupy 1.75x6E

Leupy 1.5x5

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ550 with a Leupold VX-III 3-9X in Talley QD's..
If that's too much glass, I go to the irons.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
While using it in Alaska, I have kept a Leupold 4X on it. However, I may be putting a VXIII 2.5-8 on it for Colorado Elk. I will keep my 416 equipped with a Leupold 1-4 for Alaska bear duty.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
2.5-10x56 Trijicon or Swarovski Z6 Rail 1.7-10.

Does everything that way, bison and bears up close and elk and whatever else at 300.

260 Accubond in both the 375 Ruger and 375 H and H.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
what is the most common , what size Recticle

Mine are fairly light for being 375s and I do not like big optics on such rifles. I tend to favor German #1 and #4 on low powered fixed or 1.5-5X variables.

BestSmiler

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I just don't see the point of shooting a rifle that has the same ballistic arc as a 30-06 and crippling it by using a 1 to 5.

Even in Africa I would want at least 6 or 7 as a minimum of my high power.

Maybe not in the jungle, but in the jungle I would want a 45, 47, or 50 caliber rifle. Bigger holes and all.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I had a Leupold VX III 1.5 x 5 on mine at first. Did OK...but changed it to a VXIII 2.5 x 8. Like it much better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote