Find
Notify
Tools

4x *vintage* Scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
So, I have a few that are older and not sure if I should sell, keep for a future rifle?

*Weaver K4 El Paso [steel tube]
*J.C. Higgins (same as Weaver)
*Leupold [has some pinkish hues]
*Burris Fullfield 1990s

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There will always be a market and use for a Weaver or a Leupold. Burris, not so much (American? Taiwan? Philippines?), so if you can find a buyer it would be my first choice to sell.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you raised the question....

I have a very nice and clean older Weaver K4 60-B model and have been wondering what it is worth.

What do you figure is a fair price for one of those in today's market?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would collect old American scopes like Unertls and Lymans if crazy laws did not stop me, though I can walk 300 yards and buy new ones with impunity from our local gun shop.

Old Weavers are worth having, too, and I'd be interested to know how old your Leupold is, and whether the reticles move out of centre.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I dumped all my scopes from the 60s and 70s a few years ago; today's optics are far superior to them. Old Weavers are nostalgic (I do still have a 10x on a 257), but really, they are way outclassed by even the cheap ones now.
Sambar, why can't you get old scopes?
Blackbart; old Weaver K4s are worth $50 if in great shape. Which they usually are aren't; they are prone to lens de-lamination.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I can get old scopes from anywhere else in the world, dpcd, but getting them from the USA is dicey because of laws to prevent military equipment getting to bad guys. I even had to get my GI water bottles from England. A special permit is available but it's more trouble than I can bother with. But if someone in Canada or elsewhere sells an old American scope, I may put in a bid.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I had no idea; I thought they were treated like old used telescopes, not super high tech weapons targeting systems.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I can get old scopes from anywhere else in the world, dpcd, but getting them from the USA is dicey because of laws to prevent military equipment getting to bad guys. I even had to get my GI water bottles from England. A special permit is available but it's more trouble than I can bother with. But if someone in Canada or elsewhere sells an old American scope, I may put in a bid.

Yup. I found that out as well when I was trying to ship a set of vehicle FM trans-ceivers to my PH in RSA for his safari trucks, and I was told I needed an export license and some approval form from the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC)

I agree, pretty stupid law, and much of the best stuff isn't made here anymore anyway, so it's kinda pointless.. All we can do is vote these stooges out..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to put too much party partisan aspect to it, Frank, and, while not wanting to feed another line of paranoia, I suspect it has something to do with pressure from the UN because of the US pre-eminence in materiel production.

While Valdada and I think the old technology is more reliable under rough conditions, I doubt if the bad guys know or care. Also, it is hard to see many 60-year-old scopes still being better than a modern Leupold or Swarovski at holding zero. And considering anyone in Australia can buy a Leupold at the corner gunshop, it would be good if your legislators/bureaucrats could cut some slack for first-world collectors wanting the odd old Unertl they find on ebay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put much value on any of those scopes you mention, I see them at gunshows for little or nothing..They are decent scopes and work great on a 22 or even a big game rifle in mild climates..Old Weavers and many of the older scopes don't work very well in cold inclimate weather, I have seen them fog nemourous times over the last 30 years of hunting Idaho..They worked pretty well in South Texas however. The Leupolds being the exception, even the old ones hold up well in most any climate condition..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it so tough to buy 4power x33 Leupolds? New or used.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I wouldn't put much value on any of those scopes you mention, I see them at gunshows for little or nothing..They are decent scopes and work great on a 22 or even a big game rifle in mild climates..Old Weavers and many of the older scopes don't work very well in cold inclimate weather, I have seen them fog nemourous times over the last 30 years of hunting Idaho..They worked pretty well in South Texas however. The Leupolds being the exception, even the old ones hold up well in most any climate condition..

My interest in those old scopes is mainly collecting and, not being able to get hold of them myself, I'll have to take your word on those matters. Doubtless to say, modern seals and special gases have lessened the instances of fogging nowadays. But when it comes to mechanical design, I'd rather trust a modern version of the B&L Custom scope and mounts, if anybody made one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4x33 are pretty hard to find and not many were ever produced..mostly Weavers, Leupolds etc. were 4x28 which is a better scope anyway, the eye can only collect so much light and the 4x28 made a more compact scope that does the same thing.

The 2x7x28 Leupold is rather hard to come by and that has always been my favorite variable but I'm not against varibles for big game hunting, but it has more working parts and more likely to go bad I've been told and believe that to be true from experience in cold weather climes..I like 4X28s and 3x20 Leupolds best for most of my hunting, but that's an individual choice there is no positive answer one way or the other, its just opinnion.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
For most daylight purposes, those small objectives should be fine. I've heard that only the pupils of the shortsighted ever open beyond seven or eight mm.