New
Find
Notify
Tools

Journals
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"We had traveled perhaps 700 yards when Larry put on the brakes and slowly raised his binoculars. Looking over his shoulder, I could see bits and pieces of Kudu at over 300 yards as they browsed through the Gwanish (or speckboom) which is the plant that has the bitter tasting leaves. Larry ranged one of the cows at 316 yards, the largest bull was higher on the ridge and slightly farther. The entire herd was feeding near the top and obviously working their way over the ridge.
This area was so extreme in its plant density that it could consume and hide an entire herd of elephants. We could see just bits and pieces of Kudu as they fed through tiny openings. Larry set me to shoot from a Gwanish tree, but I had to stand on my toes and that would not do. I moved slightly down slope to a second Gwanish. Bits and pieces of hide again filtered through the trees but the Kudu were moving to the left and my view was being blocked by some of the vegetation.
For the second time, I changed location slightly down slope and repositioned. The problem with these plants is that their limbs are soft and pliable like celery stalks and make very poor shooting rests as they bounce up and down due to the weight of the rifle. Larry urgently pleaded for me to get ready as he saw the big bull was entering a small opening.
Horns came into view first, followed by the head and flowing mane of a large bull. Then the bull was clear, and the rifle went off. The bull broke upslope and I took a second shot as it trotted through a tiny opening. As it reached the crest of the ridge line, I fired a third time, and then the bull was gone, swallowed by the heavy cover.
My first thought was, “You’ve blown it again!” There was no indication of a hit, nor was there any reaction I could see. My mind reeled as the nightmare of the first day flashed through my mind.
Larry turned to me and said, “Your last shot may have hit him as he stumbled or dropped at the shot.” This was the only indicator that I may have hit it. Remember that this bull would push well into the 600 pound range.
Larry sent the local guide, Nowaii (No why) across the canyon to the location of the bulls disappearance. As we were waiting, Larry looked through his binoculars and said, “I see a horn.” He then glanced to check on Nowaii’s progress and when he looked back, the horn was gone. This was a much better indication the bull was badly hurt.
Nowaii yelled back that there was blood—now this was getting interesting. Smartly, Larry told him to grab Bagu and wait until we arrived.
Larry and I headed across to his location. Upon arriving, I could see a smattering of blood along its trail and some of it was not what I wanted to see as it indicated a hit too far back. Following the sign and moving towards the last place we had seen the bull, Larry suddenly froze and pushed me forward. There standing no more than thirty yards away was the much alive bull.
Unfortunately, there was absolutely no shot possible as the only thing I could see were the horns and head. Moving up to position for the shot caused the bull to break and run down the hill. Larry released Bagu and that little dog tore after the Kudu like the devil himself was after it, barking and yipping the entire time.
Brush was breaking from the Kudu’s path and the dog was barking fiercely as the three of us sprinted after them. Within just a few seconds, we could hear that Bagu had the bull bayed which was a very positive indicator that the bull was badly hurt. Knowing that at any second a finishing shot could happen, I tore off my backpack and handed it to Nowaii, as we carefully and quietly moved forward. Bagu’s barking was getting very close, when Larry and I noticed the large curled horn above the brush. Moving forward, the bull was standing motionless staring intently at Bagu. The horns were striking, and I took the only shot available, which was at the neck. The sight picture was perfect as the rifle went off resulting in the bull literally nose diving dead into the bush, kicking once before becoming still."

I grew up in a loving family that often did not have enough money to pay the bills at the end of the month. My father was a teacher (as am I) and my mother a secretary for the school.

Through hard work, a second job, and much saving, I have been fortunate in traveling to the EC of SA three times for PG. And my hunting partner and I will be hunting with Mbalabala Safaris in June of next year with an emphasis on leopard (my journal for this hunt is already 50 pages in length).

I mention this to underscore my reasons for keeping a journal on any of my hunts. In my family, my profession and my rural state of SD, it is fairly rare and considered somewhat exotic to take such hunting trips. I can share the adventure with my family and, perhaps more importantly, my students as many of them are hunters.

But, most importantly, it is a way of preserving the wonderful memories of the hunt as it is amazing how much you forget after ten days of hunting.

Therefore, I keep a very detailed journal during the hunt. Daily, I keep notes and then spend a couple hours each night writing as everyone else is sleeping. Yes, it is exhausting considering how tired you are upon arriving in SA. And, when I get home, I insert pictures into the word document to literally make a book when I am finished. Usually, this results in a document that will 150-200 pages long and have up to 45, 000+ words.

I have noticed on many of the posted hunt reports, people mention their journals too. So I would love to hear from the Accurate Reloading members who also journal. How long are your journals? What methods do you use? Thanks. Blake

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most of us take notes of everything during our hunts, or keep journals, even as you do. I know that I do personnally and they are an integral part of my trip experience. I prefer a bound book and write in it twwo or three times a day, and certainly at night before bed. I really try to get all the names and spellings correct.

Re-reading your journal is just as much fun as going thru the albums again, or watching the videos you have taken. Mine on my first safari was certainly the longest, but they are all fairly extensive and complete.

They certainly help to create your hunt report upon your return from the trip.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I keep a journal of events every day I am in Africa. They are great to read after the hunt. It is almost like being there again.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing I did during our honeymoon safari was type up the days events on our iPad every night. We were even able to email to our family as our trip progressed. My wife and I frequently re-read these entries just to re-live the experience.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kept a daily journal on each of my hunts, the events and my thoughts. I have reread them frequently.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I dislike taking a nap or siesta or whatever during the day so unless I was up really early in the morning, when everyone else is relaxing after lunch I pull out my pen and spiral bound steno pad from my pack and write. I find it one of the best experiences on a hunt to be sitting in the shade when everyone else is quiet and listen to the sounds of the wind and birds and insects.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dislike taking a nap or siesta or whatever during the day so unless I was up really early in the morning, when everyone else is relaxing after lunch I pull out my pen and spiral bound steno pad from my pack and write.

I'm with you on that one. I always felt there was something more productive I could be doing and usually just spend an hour or so thinking to myself instead of actually taking a nap.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I too spent time at lunch and before bed on both of my safaris to record the details of the day, and my related thoughts, in a bound journal. I enjoy rereading those accounts about once a year or so. As stated, it's amazing how many of the little details that have slipped from my mind in the years since I made those journal entries.

It's been a while since I hunted Africa, but I learned a lesson about the value of recording details of good hunts. I now write myself little stories after most of my memorable hunts (see my most reason post about oryx hunting in NM for an example). I just print those out and keep them handy, both for me and for interested third parties.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have kept a journal on each of my four safaris. Primarily I wanted to leave it to my grandson, but I have enjoyed reading them over the years and reliving the experiences. I write in the noon breaks and every evening before sleep. I record the events of the day, the food, the animals taken and seen and my impressions. I think it's an essential part of the experience.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a "journal," but wish I had. I wrote on every scrap of paper, from flight confirmations to copies of 4457 forms. I think it is great and love seeing the beginning and end when Makris makes his entries. I'd buy one from Col. Littleton for the next trip.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAGuardian:
The best thing I did during our honeymoon . .. was type up the days events on our iPad every night.

No offense, but I really hope writing in your journal was not the BEST thing you did during your honeymoon . . . Wink

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too late we realize that our memory is frail - and what seemed so crystal clear today becomes fuzzier with each passing day. Once it is gone, it ain't coming back.

I keep a journal on hunting trips - and during other times when I realize that down the road, this will be important. I chronicled the time I spent in Army Ranger school in 1978 and at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in 1994 - momentous events on my otherwise mundane timeline that may shed some light to my heirs on my behavioural idiosyncracies! In the meantime they sharpen my recollection of memories - fond ones and those less so.

beer