Find
Notify
Tools

Hatari Times #21...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
In case other subscribers are curious - and anxious like I - according to Harold Wolf #21 is currently in print:

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Man, I like Harald's magazine, just can't stand the irregular publishing intervals... especially at his prices! I think I have only received two issues in the past 10 or 12 months... Tanzania and Zim...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
This is good news as I can expect my copy in about twelve months only after several email reminders that Australia does have Hatari Times members.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I would rather get one issue of Hatari Times each year than the three or four that show up each month from the big publishers.

Would you rather get a brand new Remminton 710 on the first of each month or wait a year for a Holand and Holand???????????????????

Maybe you would rather have Harold produce a more mainstream, ad driven publication.

I can see it now: "Brain Pearce tests Marlin's new 45/70 lever gun against the African Water Buffalo in this months Hatari Times, sponsored by Chevy: America's truck"

Yes, I am vomiting.

Please stop wining about the lag in getting each issue of HT. If Harold went to print with no material then you would have a reason to be upset.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would rather get one issue of Hatari Times each year than the three or four that show up each month from the big publishers.

Would you rather get a brand new Remminton 710 on the first of each month or wait a year for a Holand and Holand???????????????????

Maybe you would rather have Harold produce a more mainstream, ad driven publication.

I can see it now: "Brain Pearce tests Marlin's new 45/70 lever gun against the African Water Buffalo in this months Hatari Times, sponsored by Chevy: America's truck"

Yes, I am vomiting.

Please stop wining about the lag in getting each issue of HT. If Harold went to print with no material then you would have a reason to be upset.

Jason

Ease up, cowboy. Those of us posting here have been with Harald, not Harold, for quite awhile and have seen all the other rags. Even Harald apologizes for his infrequent schedule. I would say between Bill, Adam and I we have enough African hunting experience to realize the value in Harald's magazine so get off your f@&Cking soapbox and go criticize someone else. Or deal with others in a more civil manner.
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
For those of you who are not familiar with this magazine, it is published by Harold Wolf and is based on hunts that he himself has performed, and therefore the quantity published is limited by the number of trips that he can arrange and take. They are excellent publications, focused typically on a particular area and/or country. Harold writes in a no-nonsense fashion that is rare these days, and provides a wealth of information in regards to the topic at hand.

Hatari Times Website: http://www.hataritimes.com/en/portfolio.php

As Russell stated, Harold is upfront with subscribers reg the lack of regular publishing and has emailed subscribers advising of difficulties, including three trips cancelled in 05 due to various problems (check out the "Current Edition" page on the website for details). In a Dec-05 email, Harold said "Lets hope that 2006 will be a much better year...". Issue #19 (sourthern Tanzania) was printed Dec-04 and shipped Jan-05. Issue #20 (Zimbabwe) was printed Nov-05 and mailed Dec-05, so it has been some ~10 months since the last issue.

With this in mind, I posted the info simply to alert other loyal subscribers - like Russell, Adam & Jason - to be on the look-out for issue #21. I don't think any subscriber will find fault with the finished product - nor is commenting on the frequency [or lack thereof] of publication to be considered "wining".

Like your favorite musical group, one cannot wait until their next "album". I'm paid-up until issue #27, which as long as Harold keeps hunting, is like money in the bank!

But I sure hope I am renewing before 2012! Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Bill C
I hope that I did not offend you. My comments were aimed at those who complain about the infrequent issues as though Mr. Wolfe is sleeping on the job. Thanks for the update.

Bwanamrm
I guess that you may not have been whining, but it sure sounded like it.
quote:
just can't stand the irregular publishing intervals... especially at his prices!

Also it is hard to believe that you
quote:
realize the value in Harald's magazine

When you complain about the price. Wink

Jason

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well Jason, I can tell you are a man of the world. I am starting a new magazine and I want you to be the first subscriber! It will be on African hunting... I will write each issue after my annual trek to the dark continent... let's call it bwanamrm's African Experiences. You pay me $125 a year and you will get an issue whenever I get around to it.... I take cashiers checks, money orders and credit cards only, no personal checks. My first issue will be on Zambia... for a preview you can check my thread on hunting with Muchinga Adventures in the Luangwa Valley late last month as posted in AR's African Hunt Reports! I promise no articles on Remingtons or 45-70s of any stripe... I don't own either... no advertisements... don't think I'll get anybody to bite, maybe a few of the PHs I've hunted with will advertise just for kicks. And don't complain if you don't get your issue timely... don't want to be labeled a "whiner" do you? Big Grin

By the way, in looking over your old posts, I see you have claimed to travel to exotic places like Gaborone, Zambia, Zimbabwe... even to Johan Calitz offices in Maun, Botswana. Perhaps you would like to send me a story for my new magazine... with pictures to back it up. Then we will know how much African experience you have. Wink

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm

Wow, I guess you think that I am a troll. This is the first time I have been called out.
quote:
By the way, in looking over your old posts, I see you have claimed to travel to exotic places like Gaborone, Zambia, Zimbabwe... even to Johan Calitz offices in Maun, Botswana. Perhaps you would like to send me a story for my new magazine... with pictures to back it up. Then we will know how much African experience you have.
PM me with a mailing address and I will be happy to send you a few photos if you like. You are correct, I have been around a bit including four trips to Africa in the past year and seven overall. I have spent about four and a half months in africa in the past five years. The first four trips included quite a bit of hunting, but the last three did not. I have shot my share of plains game in addition to a lion, an elephant and two buffalo. How does this compare to your body of work? Does it really matter?

Why is it that the trump card on this forum is, "Oh yeah! Well how many times have YOU been there?"

I take pride in being honest, all my "claims" will check out.

I am sorry that I did not use more tact, but I will stand by all that I have said. I should not have used the term whiner but I have been getting sick of all the bitching about how slow Hatari Times has been. It is stated upfront that it will go to the press at odd intervals. Remember, making fine wine takes time.
cheers

I will drop you a PM.

Take care,
Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always have found it an excellent rag to read,,and kick myself seriously every day for sending my collection starting with issue 1, to Russel while he was in the sand box,, they are well worth reading over and over

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Yes, I am calling you out. I don't know if you are a troll or not but if you have been canvassing these boards since 2003, you know what some troll-like characteristics are. The use of certain incendiary phrases like... 45-70 for buff, Remington 710 (alluding to the pf vs. crf debate) and namecalling, all without provocation are certainly suspect. Using the phrase "I am vomiting" shows true class. Another tactic to call attention away from the question of African experience is the crying that the other party uses the old "how many times have you been there as your trump card". I think it is a fair question when you claim experience but post no real proof.... remember our friends, Carmello and Cats/Wynwood. They never posted pix as proof... and then Cats tried and was outed as a fraud. Also you show very little in your profile on AR. All are characteristics we find in trolls. So are you one? In cyberspace, people can claim to be whoever or whatever they want to be.

And don't send your trophy photos to me, I have no use for them... post them along with a hunt report on your hunts to Africa on the African Hunt Forum for the collective intelligence of AR, like Bill and Ozhunter and I have done. These hunt reports aren't "chest beating". They give valuable information to those of us who are interested in safari areas, like conditions of camps, equipment, food, availability of animals, trophy quality, PH ability, caliber and bullet performance, etc. Post your results, dates hunted and who you hunted with... then I will post an apology to you for the mistaken belief that you might be a troll. That is what gentlemen do, when they disagree and are proven wrong. They don't wade into a thread calling good folks "whiners" when the only thing that party has done is state the truth... Hatari Times was marketed as a quarterly magazine and has not kept a regular schedule. Disprove that... and prove me wrong on thinking that you are someone or something you are not! Wink

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Cats IS back. New nom de guerres:
Chugach
Jorgie

And so is Carmello, without any retribution from the administrators of this site. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hatari Times should be thought of as a bonus hunting magazine as Harold is a one man show in the trips conducted, cited, written and published. For regular distribution subscribe to African Hunter or Sporting Gazette, etc.
However, Wolf's unique magazine is worth waiting for even if it comes once or twice a year and he is an interesting fellow to talk to when you might catch him at the SCI show.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I am starting a new magazine and I want you to be the first subscriber! It will be on African hunting... I will write each issue after my annual trek to the dark continent... let's call it bwanamrm's African Experiences. You pay me $125 a year and you will get an issue whenever I get around to it....

Hey! You are copying someone else's business plan. Wink

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason,
Yes, I am calling you out. I don't know if you are a troll or not but if you have been canvassing these boards since 2003, you know what some troll-like characteristics are. The use of certain incendiary phrases like... 45-70 for buff, Remington 710 (alluding to the pf vs. crf debate) and namecalling, all without provocation are certainly suspect. Using the phrase "I am vomiting" shows true class. Another tactic to call attention away from the question of African experience is the crying that the other party uses the old "how many times have you been there as your trump card". I think it is a fair question when you claim experience but post no real proof.... remember our friends, Carmello and Cats/Wynwood. They never posted pix as proof... and then Cats tried and was outed as a fraud. Also you show very little in your profile on AR. All are characteristics we find in trolls. So are you one? In cyberspace, people can claim to be whoever or whatever they want to be.

And don't send your trophy photos to me, I have no use for them... post them along with a hunt report on your hunts to Africa on the African Hunt Forum for the collective intelligence of AR, like Bill and Ozhunter and I have done. These hunt reports aren't "chest beating". They give valuable information to those of us who are interested in safari areas, like conditions of camps, equipment, food, availability of animals, trophy quality, PH ability, caliber and bullet performance, etc. Post your results, dates hunted and who you hunted with... then I will post an apology to you for the mistaken belief that you might be a troll. That is what gentlemen do, when they disagree and are proven wrong. They don't wade into a thread calling good folks "whiners" when the only thing that party has done is state the truth... Hatari Times was marketed as a quarterly magazine and has not kept a regular schedule. Disprove that... and prove me wrong on thinking that you are someone or something you are not! Wink

Alright everyone!!!! - fight, fight, fight..Just like in Riverdale High School...

We have not a good fight on this board for awhile....

I miss the occasional incendiary "bombs" tossed by Ray or Carmelo or others.

On second, no need to fight - those other guys might come back....

I am better now... Back on my prozac.

PS - Harald's magazine is worth the wait. I like it.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hatari Times was marketed as a quarterly magazine and has not kept a regular schedule. Disprove that... and prove me wrong on thinking that you are someone or something you are not! Wink

From their sight:
quote:
Each issue is focused on a specific area or country and I physically visit and hunt the places featured in Hatari Times before we go to press, spending four months and more out in the African bush annually, since there is no substitute for up-date first hand experiences. Due to this fact we cannot publish Hatari Times at pre-fixed dates but only go to press when a fresh research on the focus area is completed. Hatari Times therefore appears at irregular intervals, depending on my own travel schedules. However, we believe that good things do not come easy and we take the necessary time for each issue published.

Is this proof enough? And by the way I did not call you any names, I asked that you "Please stop wining about the lag in getting each issue of HT." Heck, I even said please. Wink

And I have posted hunt reports with photos in the past. They were on the old system. I am not about to go to the trouble to post a hunt report from 2003. I would like to send you some proof to put your mind at ease. Drop me a PM. I would post some photos here but I don't have convenient access to a scanner.

So I guess I have shot more of the big four than you, does that make me anymore "worthy" a poster than you???????
Roll Eyes

To add a bit of spice to the debate, do you want to place a wager on whether of not I have done what I have "claimed"? You name the price and I will send some photos and receipts to you. If you just want to know if I am for real we can forget the bet. Either way PM me with a mailing address.

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm
This might provide a bit of proof for you, too bad the photo is gone:
quote:
<J Brown>
Posted 13 June 2003 09:24
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that getting a big animal like that is as much luck as anything else. OR at least it should be.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is proof that luck(pure dumb luck) is the best weapon a hunter can carry.

This wartie rates in the top ten of the NAPHA. No one(except me) had ever seen this warthog on the property I hunted. Even the farm hands who were born in the area had not seen a WH of this class. My PH who had hunted in Namibia for more than 50 years had not seen a WH of this class. The fact that I was honored to drop the hammer on this one was pure luck. I am an agnostic but this "luck" made me wonder if someone was not smiling down on me.

Jason

[ 06-12-2003, 12:25: Message edited by: J Brown ]

Mike Smith
one of us
Posted 13 June 2003 11:08
Yep, Daddy always said it didnt matter how good you were, there is no substitute for blind ass luck. Very nice piece of bacon by the way.

[ 06-13-2003, 02:09: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

And
quote:
JBrown
one of us
Posted 10 May 2004 22:15
Here it is:
1. How many times have you hunted in Africa?
3 Times

2. Approximately how many days have you spent afield?
44 days

3. Which countries have you hunted?
Namibia twice, Zimbabwe once

4. Which species have you hunted? (I realize this could be a huge list for some, so a synopsis will do)
Lion, Elephant, Buffalo, Warthhog, Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Springbok, Mountain zebra, Baboon, Spring Hare and a bunch of Jackals.

5. What year was your first trip?

6. What year was your last trip?

7. What are you planning next?
Democratic Republic of the Congo(Zaire) in 2005.

Jason

I never did make it to the DRC, but I am not the only one. Frowner
If this does not convince you at least it will help you set your trap.
Wink
Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
No, it doesn't convince me of anything other than you may have shot a warthog, maybe a big warthog.... post a hunting report complete with pix, dates, etc, of some of your hunts for the collective intelligence of AR and as a gentleman, I will issue an apology for mistaking you as a troll, simple as that.

All else... bets, mailing addresses, broken scanners is smoke and mirrors.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
bewildered
Over 48 hours and no posted response from Jbrown. Looks like a T.K.O. for Bwanamrm in the first round!

Bwanamrm, I was a little surprise to see you use weapons like honesty, integrity and character against an unarmed opponent, but then again, he's the one that came out swinging. TROLL-ON brother!!! troll

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 442 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
john e

I really respect you coming to your friend's aid. Bwanamrm should be proud to have such a hunting partner. I guess you did not see my post in the hunt reports section. My hunt pics

The problem with these forums is that people jump to conclusions, like declaring a winner without noticing that I posted the photos the day before. Feel free to delete your last post if you see fit.

Jason

P.S. A wise man named Ray Atkinson once told me:
quote:
The internet is a cold mindless creation that does not reflect humor nor sarcasim, and many times the written word takes the spoken word out of context....
This should be taken to heart by us all, me as much if not more than everyone else here.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
JBrown

Thanks for posting a response. I was afraid this issue would die without resolution, and thus we would all have to jump to a final conclusion. I was not aware of your pics in the hunting report section because it was not linked to this thread (I assume many others are in the same boat). This is the only Africa hunting forum I use because I appreciate and respect the majority of the individuals who post here, and by keeping the bar high, it will maintain it's effectiveness and purpose.

You are correct. Bwanamrm is a hunting partner & great friend. He is also a gentleman, scholar and an avid hunter with impeccable personal/hunting ethics. I trust you will find this to be true.

With that being said, and the fact that you did respond as requested....I retract my statement and appologize for any negative implications about your honesty, itegrity and character.

Regards,
john e

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 442 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of a newbie here-a few months at AR, only five Africa safaries, a few dozen trips to places such as Alaska, Australia, etc. I had the good fortune of chatting with Harald for half an hour at the Reno airport, thought he is a gentleman and the genuine article. He produces this magazine almost single-handedly, an act of near-heroism, in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoy it. I sure couldn't do as well.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwanamrm is a hunting partner & great friend. He is also a gentleman, scholar and an avid hunter with impeccable personal/hunting ethics. I trust you will find this to be true.

John,
I forget, was that $100 or $200 I owe you for your post! Big Grin

And gentlemen, Jason did post pictures of some of his trophies in the Hunting Report section, so I apologize for mistaking him as a troll. Matter settled.

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Settled? Now when I just found this fight?

Rats. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote