Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Fontana Killed By Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bob Fontana Killed By Buffalo

The Hunting Report has just learned that Canadian outfitter Bob Fontana has been killed by a Cape buffalo in Tanzania while on safari with Luke Samaras Safaris. The fatal accident occurred yesterday in Masailand. The PH who was in the field with Fontana at the time is Paddy Curtis.
�I have spoken with everyone involved by radio,� Samaras told The Hunting Report this morning. �And what I understand happened is, they were hunting lesser kudu in a fairly thick area when a buffalo charged from the side. He just came from nowhere. I�m told Paddy Curtis turned and fired at the buffalo and hit it. By that time, however, it had reached Fontana and gored him. It was too late.�
Samaras said he did not have any evidence that the buffalo had been wounded previously. �Certainly, neither Fontana nor Curtis had shot it, or shot at it,� Samaras said.
Fontana was a partner with the Lancaster family in the operation of Nahanni Butte Outfitters. We confirmed that this morning with Stan Lancaster, who urged hunters booked with Nahanni Butte not to panic. �No one needs to worry about his hunt,� Lancaster said. �Everything will go smooth despite this tragedy.�
Lancaster described Fontana as much more than a business associate. �He was a friend of 20 years,� Lancaster said. �I�m just glad he was doing what he loved when this happened.�
We will have more about the accident and about Fontana in the August issue of The Hunting Report. In the meantime, our condolences to the family and friends of Bob Fontana. �
Don Causey, Editor/Publisher

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Will all those that go to Africa with less than a .375 H&H please stand up?

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an asinine comment!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Will all those that go to Africa with less than a .375 H&H please stand up?

From the sounds of the way it happenned he didn't have a chance no matter how large a caliber he or anyone else was carrying. Godspeed.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What an asinine comment!

Chuck

You were a little more to the point than me. Guess I am just shy being new. >John

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Kathi, Thanks for the information. It has been difficult to get any details at this end.

Will, you can be about the biggest prick on this board sometimes (and that's saying something). Your sarcasm is not always appreciated.

BTW, I am not sure what Bob was packing at the time, but as I recall, he had been typically using his 375 Dakota with 300gr failsafes for everything.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a sad day when a fellow hunter leaves the earth that way. We all go out in the field knowing it has happend to other people but never think it is going to happen to us. I wish his family and friends the best. I really dont think it would have made a difference if he or his guide had a 80mm canon off a tank when it is your time it is your time.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What an asinine comment!

Chuck

Chuck,I could be wrong, but I think you misunderstood what Will was saying! All he was saying was Buffalo are not milk cows as some seem to think, and that they are dangerous! Happenings like this, go a long way to bring that fact home!

This happening brings chills to my spine, because I was in a possition exactly like this one, while stalking a Cookson's wildebeast, and was charged by a Buffalo from the thorn at close range. A buffalo we had absolutely no idea was withing 100 miles of us. Luckily we stopped him, and nobody was hurt. We had been trailing a Buffalo herd, but saw a good wildebeast, and decided to try for him. The rifle I was carrying a 500/450 double rifle, and my PH was carrying a 375 H&H BRNO 602, thank God we were armed with proper rifles to stop him. Like Will, I use a 375 H&H for plains game so no matter what I step on, I'm armed! Not saying the PH in this case wasn't!

I think that was all Will was saying, and meant no disrespect to Bob,the PH, or anyone else! This is a very sad occasion, guys, Lighten up, Will meant nothing bad!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I think insensitive better fits Will�s post. We all have to consider "that could very well have been me".

A sad day, my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too believe Will's comments aren't the most appropriate. How does anyone here KNOW what Mr. Fontana might have been armed with? What if he WAS carrying a 375? He was an experienced hunter, been around lots of big bears and most likely had stopped more than one close encounter when guiding for them. All this shows is that even the most experienced hunter can get hammered if the conditions are right. Apparently, he never even had time to get off a shot! What the hell difference does it make what caliber rifle he carried?

And yes, I will be carrying my 300mag next time I'm after plains game.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

It is always sad to hear of the passing of someone who is a close friend to a number of our friends on this forum.

I read what Will has posted, and I honestly did not see anything negative in what he said.

It seems both myself and Mac understood it to mean that we should not be in the fields in Africa without at least carrying a 375, even if we are hunting lesser game than buffalo.

I understood this to be a fact for a number of years, hence I always carry my 375/404 anywhere buffalo or any other dangerous game is likey to be met.

My deepest sympathy to all his family and friends.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Bob could have been armed with the finest .600 NE double that Westley Richards could produce, be a certifiable expert in it's use, and he still likely would not have been able to avoid this catastrophy.

Will, I like you as a person and I always have, but Bob was a very good friend of mine -- he was to a lot of people -- and a most valuable human being. He was a veteran of countless wilderness-type North Country near-diasters (point-blank, in-your-face grizzly bear situations, horsewrecks, etc., etc.) -- potential fiascos and mind-blowing challenges that would leave most mouthy city-boy pilgrims helpless and ready to shit their knickers.

He was also an experienced African hunter in his own right, and a man who could stand tall in any company, under any circumstances.

And to answer your question, yes, for plainsgame hunting I surely will continue to take less than a .375 H&H........

AD

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is that we may not know if we are plains game hunting or not. Huh? Yeah, if you can be sure that there is nothing more hazardous than a leopard on the property, say on a RSA ranch hunt, then sure, you may legitimately say that you are hunting plains game. But, and it is a huge BUT, plains game is often hunted where dangerous game is a lot closer by than we might think. Yes, I am taking a rifle smaller than a .375 to hunt plains game in Kwa-Zulu Natal. However, while I am in Mozambique, in buffalo country, I will be carrying a buffalo rifle.

That being said, I will go with the idea that when attacked from the flank at close range, nothing you can carry may be enough.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I was very sorry indeed to hear the sad news, and my thoughts are with his family at this time..........but let's face it, that's why Dangerous Game is called Dangerous Game. It's a risk we all take every time we go out into the bush in an area where DG occurs, and that's one of the factors that makes it such a buzz.

I never know Bob except by reputation, but I would guess that if he had to go at all, he would approve of the way he went........ so how about we all stop mudslinging and instead raise a glass to a man who obviously knew that life was about experiences rather than simply a number of years.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
AD and others,

Nothing in my comment concerned Mr. Fontana. I should have dumbed-down my comment. I feel sympathy for his family and friends left behind.

My point was that hunting dangerous game, and obviously plainsgame in DG country, can be dangerous. It is a risk that is taken but rarely recognized.

I do not claim any prowess at saving my own hide and have been lucky, so far, but I have never taken anything less than a .375 H&H for that very reason.

So as long as some are calling me names, here's another:

Would all those that believe your PH is going to save you please stand up?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think I understand where you're coming from Will. You sometimes aren't the most artful poster, I guess, but I don't think you were commenting about the subject death, but just that Africa is a dangerous place, regardless of your P.H. or caliber or experience. But, isn't that why we go?

Hemingway wrote well of the conflict between fear and bravery (particularly about hunting lions and buffalo). Francis McCumber overcame it in the second before he died (albeit a fear of his wife, too).

As for me, I don't know if I've ever felt more alive than the first time I went buffalo hunting. I made what I felt to be a good shot, and the P.H. looked at me right in the eyes to see if I was going to follow him into the thick stuff. At that very second, I well remember that I thought about my Marine days and that at least I got paid back then to put my ass on the line... and now I was paying to do the same with a buffalo in the bushes...

Hunting dangerous game is what we do. We pay our nickel and take our chances. Somebody, sometimes, is going to get hurt or killed. It is mighty darn sad when it happens, but the nature of doing what we love is about taking a deep breath and wading into the tall grass. I'll be back.. I won't forget about Fontana and I'll have a chill or two when the shoulder high stuff hides every damn thing... and I don't know what caliber I'll have. But I know this:

I'll love every second of it and I'll bet Bob did, too.

So, if I get brought home on my shield (as figuratively Bob did), don't mourn for me. Assure my family that I died doing what I was born to do.... and then tell my wife to use my insurance money to send my grandchildren buffalo hunting when they get old enough.

BTW, did Fontana have children. I'd like to send something towards an education fund or something.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is #2 on this board when will #3 be reported, hopefully it will not be a fatal incedent. I think Will may be right and maybe I will save my trusted 338 for RSA ranch hunting.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: Will

Would all those that believe your PH is going to save you please stand up?

I think about 75% of the posters here are on there feet, if past posts mean anything.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody may have posted this early in the thread, but I didnt see it if they did.

The Hunting Report has just learned that Canadian outfitter Bob Fontana has been killed by a Cape buffalo in Tanzania while on safari with Luke Samaras Safaris. The fatal accident occurred yesterday in Masailand. The PH who was in the field with Fontana at the time is Paddy Curtis.
"I have spoken with everyone involved by radio," Samaras told The Hunting Report this morning. "And what I understand happened is, they were hunting lesser kudu in a fairly thick area when a buffalo charged from the side. He just came from nowhere. I'm told Paddy Curtis turned and fired at the buffalo and hit it. By that time, however, it had reached Fontana and gored him. It was too late."
Samaras said he did not have any evidence that the buffalo had been wounded previously. "Certainly, neither Fontana nor Curtis had shot it, or shot at it," Samaras said. Fontana was a partner with the Lancaster family in the operation of Nahanni Butte Outfitters. We confirmed that this morning with Stan Lancaster, who urged hunters booked with Nahanni Butte not to panic. "No one needs to worry about his hunt," Lancaster said. "Everything will go smooth despite this tragedy."
Lancaster described Fontana as much more than a business associate. "He was a friend of 20 years," Lancaster said. "I'm just glad he was doing what he loved when this happened."
We will have more about the accident and about Fontana in the August issue of The Hunting Report. In the meantime, our condolences to the family and friends of Bob Fontana. - Don Causey, Editor/Publisher.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
AD, I understand that emotion gets between folks, and clear thinking, and that many took what Will said to be an affront on Bob, but I believe what he said had absolutely nothing to do with Bob's death at all, but was simply saying, for the binefit of those who seem to think Buffalo are just some old barnyard cow, that this is proof they are not! You are right, under the cercumstances, it probably wouldn't have made a difference what he was carrying, because he, evidently, had no time to use anything. I truley believe Will meant no disrespect at all!

You know as well as I do, there are many on this board, who simply think Buffalo are not dangerous at all, and say so every day here. Will was just saying, with not well chosen words, that they are, and one should be prepared to be confronted by dangerous game, when they are in the area,and to dispell the idea tendered by many, that your PH can always drag you nuts out of the fire! nothing more!

I suggest we drop this thread, of this before somebody says something they will regret later!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for Mr. Fontana's family, but as was said before, he went out w/ his boots on doing what he loved. As to Will, not really worded correctly, but I think he just points out that hunting dangerous gaem or hunting in DG country is just that, dangerous. One should be prepared for that prospect. It sounds like nothing could have been done but one should still be prepared (adequate rifle, paying attention to your surroundings, etc.).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Gents,
I have no idea what Bob was carrying. It really doesn't sound as though he would have had a chance to use it no matter what it was. I do know that Paddy's pet is a .470 double but it seems that he didn't get to use it until after the fact. Perhaps the old buff was snoozing and they woke him up as they passed by at extremely close range. In any event a good man is gone.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I know what you guys are saying, but what should we do, pack a .505 Gibbs around exclusively for every piddling antelope, just because were in buffalo country? Not me.

I would no more do that than I would go around town in a surplus Russian tank, assuming that one could be had, on the off-chance that I might get broadsided by a Ford F-350.....

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences to Mr. Fontana's family and friends. An untimely death is always a tragedy, but better to perish doing what one loves than to waste away sitting in an office.

Quote:

I would no more do that than I would go around town in a surplus Russian tank, assuming that one could be had,.....

AD

About 2 years ago, Syria had some used Soviet tanks for sale for under US$5K. I did not buy one due to the cost of shipping. The market value on Soviet tanks dropped precipitously after Gulf War I.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So I say, eliminate all the variables that you can. Control what you CAN control: Stay in good physical condition. Leave personal problems at home; keep your head clear; stay away from too much booze around the campfire; and be ready to hunt every day of the safari. Buy a rifle that works, and I mean really works, even if it costs considerably more than the off-the-shelf stuff (read 'junk') at your local retailer's -- after all it can be a matter of your money of your life, so don't step over a dollar to pick up a dime. Make sure that rifle is indeed "plenty of gun", and not some pipsqueek Lone Ranger number that makes all the pilgrims back home giddy, and pacifies some crossroads hawkshaw with a newfangled bullet to sell. Put in plenty of practice time at the range, as well -- most of it from field positions, not the bench......

AD

I would like to add my recommendation to get some professional training on gun-handling. I first learned "close range inter-personal crisis management" under Jeff Cooper, and I went back later for two rifle courses.

With good instruction and practice you can program the shot needed in a charge situation, you are not going to think it out on demand.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took Will's point as a real eye opener, not as a wise crack. If you are in dangerous game country, even though you are not hunting dangerous game, you might have to use your rifle in self defence. I for one will rethink my reliance on a 300WM! What I take away, is that if I am in DG country and I insist on using my 300WM, then perhaps I should insist that the PH have a heavy rifle in HIS hands. Just because there was no chance to use it in this case, does not mean that one should not exercise due caution. When I met Vaughan Fulton at Farm Felseneck, even though his client was hunting Impala on a farm, Vaughan's rfile was a 458 Win. Mag! presumably because where Vaughan hunts, there are DG.
Thanks, Will.
peter.

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many of you know we lost a good one in Bob! Condolences to his Family and close friends!

How many of us will be lucky enough to die doing something we live to love and do?

Godspeed Bob,

Zedman

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Will's comments could have been worded with greater delicacy, but I believe it was not meant to be disparaging towards Mr. Fontana. Having said that, I totally disagree with him on two counts. First, it's ridiculous to be on a "specialized" hunt for bushbuck for example and be forced to be armed with a 500 N.E. in the oft chance a buffalo, lion, etc., might be lurking about. Secondly, I do most definetly STAND UP. The MAN I hunt with, John Sharp, will I believe put himself in harm's way to save my ass or any other client's.

I'm going to hunt buffalo next June with John, armed with a 416 Rigby, but the minute that's over, the Rigby gets put away and out will come my 300 H&H....for that 17 incher of a bushbuck that escaped me last time, feeling totally at ease that John Sharp is "checking my six" with his 470. May God bless Mr. Fontanas' family in this sad time. The hunting fraternity will be a lesser place. He will be missed jorge

A post script: Will and others are absolutely right in that many here do not think hunting DG is that big a deal. Over on HA, an IDIOT took me to task regarding the very subject, comparing "coon hunting" yes folks COON HUNTING in terms of danger to hunting M'Bogo. Such are the idiots that lurk!

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to ad a bit on the situation. They had seen a lesser Kudu bull in the area earlier and set up a salt lick to hopefully keep him in the area. Another hunter saw the bull at the salt lick the day before, so Bob and paddy sneaked up on it in the morning. Apparently they had seen the salt lick but no Kudu, because Bob did not have a shell in the chamber. The bull came out of the Jess at very close range and flipped Bob. He was killed almost instantly by a cracked skull. At least he didn't suffer.

By the way Anna was on a pack trip in the mountains and and RCMP helicopter went and told her.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...many took what Will said to be an affront on Bob, but I believe what he said had absolutely nothing to do with Bob's death at all

For the record, and FWIW, I never took Will's post incorrectly. I understood it just the way it was meant. I guess I was just sick and tired of his sarcasm and shit-disturbing, and felt that comment insensitive and inappropriately phrased under the circumstances.

No hard feelings...I just wanted to express the fact that I did not appreciate it.

Addressing the statement on its face value and intent, however, I don't happen to agree. If Will or anyone else wants to pack a cannon to try and cover any concievable eventuality, that's their personal choice. I am not about to pass judgement on someone that feels differently however. With that mentality, everyone should be packing .375's on their Stone sheep hunts too. You can carry that argument further, but at some point it borders on the rediculous.

What happened to Bob could have easily happened on his next elk hunt with a grizzly bear instead of a buffalo. I honestly do not see this incident any different than a chance and unexpected encounter with a grizzly bear in a bad mood.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
JD, thanks for the additional info.

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
No shell in the chamber? Why would a man of Mr. Fontana's experience not have a round in the chamber while hunting in a dangerous game area?

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Let's take this off thr forum. I'm sending you a PM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

If I am in really thick stuff and have a man in front of me (the PH and/or the tracker) and a man behind me (gov't scout, water bearer etc.) I don't want a shell in the chamber cause it's gonna be pointing at one of them half the time. That's just me, maybe others feel differently.
When game is spotted every thing changes including everyones place in line. Then it's time to chamber a round.
Guess there's different ways of playing it safe. Some times nothing you do can prevent a tragedy.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Good point Rich! I remember an article not to long ago in American Hunter about a Russian guide that nearly lost his leg and life because of a client's refusal to follow the guide's instructions not to chamber a round and had his gun discharge.

George

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say what this shows is say your prayers BEFORE your hunt, as far as the way he went out, that is an admirable way to meet the end. I know that the few times I think about it I don't like the idea of being in bed afraid to fall asleep, gasping for air, cold or weak, or slowly eaten by cancer. going out like that would probably be in my top five choices.

for the record, the first involves a redhead, the second a brunette and the third a blonde. :-)

Allen, if I could I would drive around in a tank, every day. Then those morons that can't figure out where the gas pedal is, how to turn on a turn signal, or that green means go would no longer be something i had to worry about, just drive from point a to point b without stopping. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

With that mentality, everyone should be packing .375's on their Stone sheep hunts too. You can carry that argument further, but at some point it borders on the rediculous.

What happened to Bob could have easily happened on his next elk hunt with a grizzly bear instead of a buffalo. I honestly do not see this incident any different than a chance and unexpected encounter with a grizzly bear in a bad mood.

Well JD, to each his own but that's exactly why my first DGR was an all-weather .375 to take to the Arctic. Even when hunting caribou, big bears can ruin your entire weekend!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my previous DG hunt, I took a 458 WM as a heavy rifle and my 375 H&H as my light rifle. I wanted to be prepared for anything that I might encounter and in Chewore North, you can encounter pretty much anything except Rhino. I ended up shooting my buffalo with the 375 H&H.

This year (August 2004) I am heading back to Chewore for buffalo / plainsgame. Right now I am planning on the same battery as Jorge. Basically, I will carry my .416 Rigby until I put a buffalo on the ground. After that, I will be carrying my 300 H&H loaded with 220 grain Nosler Partitions at 2,700 fps.

If things go like they did last time, I will end up shooting a few plainsgame with my heavy rifle before I meet up with an acceptable buffalo. However, I do have to say that Will's advice has merit. Each day of my previous safari we ran into or saw buffalo and elephant. Even had a couple of lions chase a waterbuck through camp at night. Not to mention the hippo.

With respect to Will's question regarding the PH stepping in. My PH did not fire one shot on my last safari. However, if a rouge elephant, buffalo, etc. decides to have a go at us, Yes, I do expect to hear the boom of my PH's rifle as he sorts things out. I would hope to do what I can to help out. However, I do understand that the PH is not a magic shield and that things can go wrong. That is the risk I am willing to take. Heck, it is probably more risky driving to work on the So Cal freeways.

By the way, we also went on a photography / walking safari in the South Luangwa National Park of Zambia

www.robinpopesafaris.net

We went hiking each day for a few miles in DG country. While walking, we saw a ton of animals, a few which included lion, buffalo, elephant, hippo, croc, etc. Even saw three leopard and quite a few hyenas while driving in the landcruiser at night. In the daytime they would take us out in groups of about 5 plus the guide (un-armed) and a park ranger who was armed with an iron sighted bolt action rifle. All we had were cameras and binoculars. We had to rely on the park ranger.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo gores manager to death
19/07/2004 22:21 - (SA)

Lieze du Preez
Potchefstroom - A game-farm manager for a well-known businessman died on Monday after being attacked and gored by an angry buffalo bull.

The attack happened about 09:00 on Monday on John Fourie's Copperfield farm when Hendrik Oostenwald Hoogenboezem, 37, was on his way to collect a tarpaulin to close up a fence between a buffalo camp and a house.

The camp was used to hold disease-free buffaloes being used in a breeding programme.

Hoogenboezem was apparently inside the camp when a bull stormed him.

A farm worker who was with him at the time was unable to do anything except stand and scream while the animal gored Hoogenboezem.

Shot buffalo dead

At one stage, Hoogenboezem was thrown into the air by the angry bull. Bits of his clothing were later found in a tree.

Fourie and his son, Deon, were called and rushed to collect a gun with which they could shoot the enraged buffalo.

The bull was being held in the camp with four females.

It is believed that Michelle, Hoogenboezem's wife, was at home at the time. The couple have two children, Mariska, 11, and Jana, 5.

Fourie did not want to comment on Monday.

Superintendent Louis Jacobs of the police said an investigation would be held into Hoogenboezem's death.

Edited by Iaine Harper

Tourist gored by buffalo
30/07/2003 22:47 - (SA)

Borrie la Grange

Pretoria - "I still suffer from nightmares and wake up in a sweat and my body feels as if it was hit by a train," said Johan Lombard of Atlanta in the US.

Safely tucked up in bed in his parents-in-law's home in Pretoria, Lombard, 33, recounted on Wednesday how a buffalo attacked him.

He was lucky to escape with a torn calf muscle and a number of cuts after being gored by a buffalo bull.

Lombard and friends on Saturday visited a game farm near Rust de Winter about 50km outside Pretoria.

The buffalo in the camp were supposedly tame and there were no signs warning against the animals, he said.

"I really looked forward to getting close to them. On Friday we strolled around among the animals. Some people touched and scratched them. The herd consists of a bull and couple of young cows.

"On Saturday we returned to show my father-in-law. A friend and I were walking to the eland camp when the buffalo bull suddenly stormed us," said Lombard.

Lombard and Gunther Bothe tried in vain to dodge the animal, but Lombard was gored before being tossed over a gate.

"All I can remember was his smell and his breath when he was on me. When I landed on the ground, Gunther screamed that I should run," he said.

Lombard and Bothe raced to a gate and the buffalo was unable to turn in time for a second attack. Another man closed the gate behind them.

Emergency services were called while Lombard's bloody leg was tied with a chord. Friends raced him to a petrol station where an ambulance and doctor were waiting.

The calf muscle was reattached in a two-hour operation in Montana Hospital in Pretoria. He was discharged on Tuesday.

"I'm grateful to be alive and everything is still in working order," Lombard said.

He planned to return to the farm before leaving for the US, because he would like to overcome his shock and fear. "I was born in the Bushveld. This experience won't put me off from going back to the bush."

Man escapes death by buffalo
24/03/2003 23:30 - (SA)
Retha Fourie

Vaalwater - A young man from Limpopo is recovering in a Gauteng hospital after a buffalo gored him at a game farm over the weekend and he had to hold his intestines in his hands for more than an hour before reaching a hospital for emergency treatment.

Alan Fourie, 23, says he realises it is an absolute miracle he survived his tussle with the buffalo bull, but the bigger miracle is that the animal's horns had not damaged any other organ, artery or his intestines besides his stomach lining.

Fourie, a Phalaborwa businessman, says he, his father and a few others were on his father's game farm, Alpetra Nature Reserve, between Vaalwater and Ellisras when he was attacked by the buffalo.

"We have 21 buffalo in a breeding project on the farm and in the evenings they come home to their pen to feed," Fourie said from his hospital bed in the Unitas hospital in Centurion.

"When the animals failed to arrive on Friday night, I went to investigate.

"I came across the herd unexpectedly and the dominant bull, a very cheeky fellow, suddenly stormed at me.

"He gored me between the legs. One of his horns pierced my stomach. He shook me and threw me down. I escaped, and hid behind a tree.

"It was a very small tree, and I still can't believe he then left me alone.

"The other buffalo were unconcernedly feeding from the bag of fodder that had fallen from my hand when the bull charged at me."

Off-road vehicle

"I thought my last day had dawned, but I realised I couldn't die there as I'm still young and there are many things I still want to do.

"I shouted for help until the others came to my rescue," Fourie said.

The worst part of his agony was the 100km journey in an off-road vehicle over rough terrain to the nearest hospital at Lephalale.

He received emergency treatment and once stabilised, he was air-lifted to the Unitas hospital.

"They cleaned the wound and doctors were amazed that I had not suffered any internal damage. Even my testicles could be saved where the bull had rammed his horns between my legs. It is truly a miracle," he said.

"One can only thank the Lord. And in future one should remember wild animals remain wild even though one might think you know them and they are tame," he said.

Fourie is expected to stay in hospital for a few more days to check that no infection sets in.

And lastly 3 weeks ago one of the rangers on our conservancy sent me an e-mail confirming that a game ranger on the neigbouring Olifants reserve (part of balule south) got into a scrape with a buffalo. It is not clear if they were hunting it or not but someone got badly mauled before the buffalo was shot on top of the person. My undertanding is that they were simply watching game on a walk when the incident occurred. Nobody was killed but there was some damage done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of things on this thread, one is that Will is pretty direct, but he is a straight shooter with a heart of gold...

I also know that Paddy Curtis has been in the midst of them more than any of us on this board and that poop just happens...He is a first class dangerous game PH and has been at it for years. His reputation is impeccable...

When your time is up boys, its up, the man upstairs has called you home, and given my druthers I would rather die on the horns of a buffalo than in some old folks home with some bitch nurse pushing baby food in my mouth, take your pick, but dieing like a man has some merit....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote