THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tracks Accross Africa - What kind of shooting rest?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracks Accross Africa - What kind of shooting rest?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
I just caught part of the Zambesi Hippo hunting episode. They were using a very nice portable rifle rest to shoot from.

Did anyone catch (or know) who makes that thing and what it's called?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure but it is covered in Boddington's Bufffalo CD. The PH in the CD has a few of them he uses in camp for checking rifles and leopard blinds. It is a load to carry and set up but is great in instances where one has the necessary time i e the leopard blind. If no one else knows I will check my CD and post the companies name.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
It is called a VRS rest. Here is a link to the web page.

http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, sure as H*ll ain't too cheap. It looks like the model or package shown on the Surefire show is about $300.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To digress a little, I would not consider taking a rifle to Africa without one of my Harris bipods attached to it. I have made many shots at long range on plains game that I would not have considered attempting without the Harris. Contrary to popular opinion. the terrain and the vegetation in Africa, often will allow the use of a prone or sitting position. I even had it mounted on the .458 bolt gun while hunting Buffalo, just in case a long shot in open country was the only option.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ron,
Only one shot I took on my hunt in Zimbabwe would have allowed the use of a Harris bipod. I don't think I would have wanted to lug around that thing for the duration of the hunt for one shot that was easily accomplished with an improvised field rest.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the Harris bipod on my first trip and used it once. I took it off the gun as it was heavy and I prefered shooting off sticks.

The VRS is a great tool for use out of a leopard blind or for hippo, but again, it is heavy, expensive and really not needed if you can shoot from a rest. It is a "nice to have" but I would never take one.

Posts: 10265 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a huge Harris bipod fan. I used it once on my last trip in an open area on a sable. But I must admit, they are not very useful in Africa, at least not where I have hunted.

I practice enough to shoot off the sticks standing out to 300; that is more useful than being able to shoot prone out to 500. (But I feel very comfortable to 500 and beyond using just a shooting sling and my ass.)

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote