Find
Notify
Tools

Silenser to rsa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted
hmm i got to clients that wants to bring silenssers to rsa !cant find anything about if in the weapon rules for South africa is it legal to take in !anybody here that knows the rules? bewildered

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Donner,
The fellow in front of me at Jo'berg last week opened his case to show his serial # and his rifle had one attached. It was a sporter style rifle as opposed to a Military/Law Enforcement type.

Don't know about the import/export laws but apparently they're legal there.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
In RSA in 2006 our PH was carrying a silenced .270.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted is South Africa, I used the PH's silenced 6mm and saw a KILLER .308 in a sport shop that was equipped with a silencer.

From what I was told, silencers are legal, semi-autos are not!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
I don't know the specifics of the sound suppressor regulations in SA, but Shof brings up an interesting subject.
In the US, almost across the board, hunting with a suppressor is verboten for big game hunting. Ownership of same, while legal in several states, requires significant flat rate taxes and paperwork, as do select fire weapons.
Yet, depending on where you go in Eurpoe or Africa, suppressors are fairly pedestrian. Yet, in Africa, semi's seem to raise the ire of the govt. Yet, some northern European countries, select fire is no big deal at all.
Ever wonder why American police favor shotguns but Euro police, who use 9mm sub guns, consider that abhorrant? I am guessing it is a cultural thing left over from WWI.

Silly isn't it? Millions of inconsistent laws to regulate inanimate objects and not one crime prevented.

Chet

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
From what I understand the reason suppressors are included as Class III weapons/devices is because back in the day our Game Wardens campaigned for them to be regulated. Seems they believed that they would be used for poaching.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
When I hunted is South Africa, I used the PH's silenced 6mm and saw a KILLER .308 in a sport shop that was equipped with a silencer.

From what I was told, silencers are legal, semi-autos are not!

Correct

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Guys,
there is no law against posession of silencers here. They are available over the counter in most gun shops, and there is a busy little industry custom making them for larger/centrefire calibers.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote