Find
Notify
Tools

Painted elephant ear panels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Ive seen some pretty impressive painted elephant ears panels posted on this site thru the years. I figure most folks just get the ones from their shot elephants painted, but was wondering if anyone knows of a place (in Africa) to get these pre done without having to shoot one's own elephant first?.. Other than the financial issues with a trophy elephant hunt I don't have a problem with shooting/hunting one and PAC's don't count since the hunter never gets to keep any of it. Ballprak price range would be nice to know too so I can see if this years Africa hunt budget can support it too.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The CITES issues basically mean you either have to sport hunt your own elephant or have a fake one done on cowhide.

You might like to visit my other halfs site at www.wild-african-art.com and this page: http://www.wild-african-art.co...lephant-ear-art.html in particular.

I don't get involved in her site but I see no reason why one couldn't be done on cowhide.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You might try Life Form Taxidermy. They have an artist that has done mine and they were beautiful. They also know the in's and out's of export/import with the Cites situation as well. Contact them through their website.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have a brown tanned elephant ear I would be willing to sell you if you wanted. You would have to get it painted. It does have some holes in it. If interested let me know.

Thanks

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigB:
I have a brown tanned elephant ear I would be willing to sell you if you wanted. You would have to get it painted. It does have some holes in it. If interested let me know.

Thanks

BigB

You'd better look at this http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/6431024521 Wink

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I did see that, thanks.

Mine is legally imported and you can sell the leather from it if you like I am told.

Hope the people who told me are correct.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find that you can give it away but not trade or sell it. Wink

If it wasn't legally imported it'd be illegal anyway.

I also think you'll find transport laws change depending on whether it's pre or post ban but trade laws remain the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
get someone to loan you some money and let them hold the ear as collateral rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different end of the animal; however, I brought back the tail from my last elephant. Did not try to conceal it, just threw it into my bag. Figured if anyone got safety wired into the p.o. position they could keep it. It now hangs on my wall. Really I did not think it was improper to brin it.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to listen to Steve on this one. He is absolutely right and trying to prevent someone from getting in deep doo doo.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the people that sell the elephant hide wallets and such? I see them for sale here on AR and they also had quite a bit of elephant hide products at DSC. In fact I am talking to a fellow I met there about buying a painted elephant ear, is this illegal?

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
You need to listen to Steve on this one. He is absolutely right and trying to prevent someone from getting in deep doo doo.

Yea, I would say "Read your CITIES permit."

It is pretty clear.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
JA,

Any commercial trade in any elephant (and rhino) products is prohibited. The only ways to legally own a painted elephant ear is to shoot an elephant or have someone give you the ear. Your only other alternative is to have a replica made out of cowhide or similar (IF it can be done) and have that painted.

Pre ban products can be moved across borders IF (note the big IF) you can prove it's provenance and have a pre-issued permit but they still cannot be commercially traded.

About the only exception I can think of (offhand) is mammoth ivory but that of course is mammoth and not elephant and it has to be proved to be mammoth.

Some years ago, Zippo produced a limited edition that (supposedly) had scrimchawed mammoth ivory panels on one side and they can still be traded IF you can find one.

Technically, you're even supposed to have those elephant hair bracelets and foot bangles the skinner makes sent with the rest of your trophies rather than take them home with you. I've no idea what would happen if you were caught with one if you were caught entering your home country with one on your arm or in your bag.

All that said, I wear an ivory bangle that was taken in about 1950 and given to me in about 1982 when I was young and skinny. My hands have been too big for me to take it off for umpteen years.

I guess I really ought to get some paperwork organised to prove it's age. - Frankly, it hadn't occurred to me until I typed this. rotflmo