THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Three Cheers for ZPGA and the Smythe Family

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three Cheers for ZPGA and the Smythe Family
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was booked to hunt with the late Phillip Smythe this coming July but with his tragic death I just figured I had lost all my deposits. There was no way I was going to ask a pregnant widow with two small children for a refund. However, early this morning I received this in my inbox.

Dear Mr Mike Core

I hope this email finds you well. I would like to take this opportunity to wish you Compliments of the Season and introduce myself. I am Rob Lurie, Chairman of the Zimbabwe Professional Guides Association (ZPGA), Professional Hunter and Safari Operator.

I write to you today about the safari you booked with Phil Smythe of Ivory Trails Safaris for Zimbabwe this year. I am sure you are aware that Phil was tragically involved in an incident with an Elephant at the end of last year which resulted in Phil passing away. Phil was an exemplary professional and upstanding member of our Association, industry and community. He will be sorely missed. Phil is survived by his wife Leah, their two young girls and a babe on the way.

After consultation with Leah and her family, it has been agreed that all Phils booked safaris should continue as planned.
The funds derived from these safaris will go to a trust fund that has been set up for Leah and the children.

In my capacity as the Chairman of our Association and as a friend of the family I have agreed to assist in communicating with you, explaining to you and helping with the running of your planned safari.
Between myself and a couple of other qualified professional hunters (specifically chosen for their high levels of experience, professionalism and ethics) we will conduct these safaris on the Smythe family’s behalf, and ensure your expectations are met.
We will also finalise who the professional hunter for your safari will be in the next week or so and pass this on to you so that you can communicate and plan the finer details of your safari. Anything else can be communicated through myself.

I am available to communicate with you in the following ways
Email : chairman@zpga.org or robsafari@gmail.com
Signal, WhatsApp or Telegram: +263 773 451 585
Or my USA cell number that I can talk or text on: 262 676 2723

I look forward to hearing back from you

Kind regards

Rob Lurie
ZPGA Chairman
APHA Life Member
DSC Life Member

WOW! I didn't expect this so again thanks to Leah Smythe, Rob Lurie and all the fine members of ZPGA.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never met Rob but I have had multiple dealings with him over this matter . Seems like a stand up guy to me.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Now, that is truly commendable and inspiring.

Bravo to the ZPGA and their chairman!

Thanks for sharing this, Mike.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13618 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Class acts all around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent gesture on behalf of ZPGA...awesome! tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear this. We can only help Phil’s family by prayers and funds.

Jeff

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely amazing. Good job for ZPGA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The epitome of class!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Wow I find this extremely commendable. Well done ZPGA!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Well done!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am appropriately impressed.
Imagine a world where political leaders were all this honorable.
Proper.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is very impressive.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Wow ! Thats impressive. Many other professional associations should take a page out of their book ! Cudos ZPGA and Phil"s family!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2325 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

PS GunsCore, I hope you post a thorough report here on AR on your scheduled hunt!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2325 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Good for them !

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob is a good guy as are all of his boeties. Nothing but respect, very cool.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

PS GunsCore, I hope you post a thorough report here on AR on your scheduled hunt!

Will do this coming August. I am also hoping to have a chat with Leah while there.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I last communicated with Rob last week. He o that they were still trying to contact a few remaining clients.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Solid all around.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote