New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are your favorite or in your opinion best African hunting boots?

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Courteneys

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I have found the Bates tactical boot to be very comfortable and rugged. Excellent soles and uninsulated. They come in waterproof models too. My leather Rockys (uninsulated) are my backup. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
After my first Safari to Zim I had a pair of Russel High Country Sheephunters with Gro-cord soles and all the extras made to fit. Have worn them with utmost comfort on the 7 ensuing safaris. The have been comfortable from the first day. Only thing I would change is I would have them made with Air-bob soles. They work fine here in So. Arizona also. When treated with Pecard silicone dressing from Russel's they are also waterproof. I can't think of a BETTER boot. Have no desire to change now.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:
Courteneys

Geronimo
ditto that

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
For the Kalahari Sand Danner Acadia desert boots.

For grassland savannah type stuff with not a lot of bumps and rocks Courteneys.

For mountainous terain with lots of Rocks like the Khomas Hochland, or Limpopo area a pair of Russel PH mountains. Or uninsulated Danners.

For the jungle, a pair of gore tex uninsulated Danners, bring 2 pair and change everyday.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edited: 4-16-07

Edited: 4-22-07

I strongly agree with the gentlemen who recommend the Vibram Air-Bob sole. Over the past ten years or so I have worn boots with this sole in many different environments, completely wearing out four pairs of boots, and think the Air-Bob is the best multi-purpose sole.

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted Hide Post
quote:
Courteneys

Yep. You will not find my feet in anything other than Courteney's.

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Since the Courtneys were mentioned. Am I correct that the only place to get them in the USA is from Westley Richards?

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to tell you, I have done all of my hunting in Africa in athletic shoes. The last two times in waterproof New Balance and I love them. Their light and good traction, plus they dry out fast.

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ill post real hunting foot wear sooon as my friend comes over and does it I cant

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used courteneys on one buff hunt in Dande, have some russell ph2s on order but may default back to rockport pro walkers as the most comfortable safari shoes for me. Hunting in the lowveldt or the zambezi valley with its hills these shoes have been wonderful. When i wore the courteneys they lasted 4 days...day 5 it was back to the rockports. We'll see when the russells arrive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as d99 points out it depends on the terrain. I used courtneys but when I went to the Khomas Hocklands the rocks began to feel through the soul... my feet got sore.

My latest purchace for stocking in soft ground would be... clarks desert trek... made in bush shoe style...

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Courteney Selous

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a link to Courteney for US purchase, sounds like a good alround Safari Boot? beer

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
This should help you out.

Westley Richards Agency
3810 Valley Commons Drive
Suite 2
Bozeman
Montana 59718
Tel (1) 406 586 1946
e-mail: enquiries@westleyrichards.com

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foot width and in-step are important reasons to try boots on. IMO Rockys are the VERY best.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wahtever is comfortable quiet and relaatively durable...That's the best boot!

Recommend you keep clear of Gore-Tex liners...wear wool socks! WR, Smartwool, Filson make really good mid-weight Merino wool offerings that wash well, wear great!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
post deleted, see above

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Courteney boots are the best and most durable I have ever found for hunting africa. They are made (I think) in Bulawayo Zimbabwe and can be ordered from Fazak's in Buawayo and many other places all over southern Africa at least. Zuka safari's sells them in their Dar ES Salaam office near the Sea Cliff. On my feet they require no break in at all. In Zim they will craft a pair from you buff and they are available in more exotic skins than in the U.S. elephant in particular, which are illegal to import into the country. Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Russell Mbogo's with the brown Vibram Air Bob sole plus a couple other options and absolutely love them. They are extremely comfortable and very quiet when stalking/walking. Planning on ordering a back up set. They seem much better built then the Courtney's to me although I have never owned a pair. Highly recommended. Couldn't be happier with them (well maybe if they were cheaper but just as well made Big Grin)

On a sie note some people have had problem with the sole coming loose on their Russell's. Every person I found that this happened to had the gum sole on their boots. Not sure how common it is in the grand scheme of things but something to think about. If you just have to have the gum sole them I would suggest bringing a tube of shoe goo or something else to repair the sole just in case.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a pair of Russell "Joes" PH boots with the Vibram Air-Bob sole. I used them on safari in Zimbabwe last year and absolutely love them. The guy from Russell that measured me at the SCI show talked me into the sole claiming they were the 2nd quietest that they offered next to the gum rubber. My PH was very impressed with how quiet they were inthe bush.

I don't think you would go wrong with them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess that africa is a place were you should worry the least about your shoes or boots.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

I would worry about my boots on every hunt I paid money to go on.

As a member of the American armed forces I have had to count on my feet every day for 13 years. Working on the fligt decks of aircraft carriers, the sand of northern Iraq, mountains, deserts, swamps, you name it.

Your shoes are probably more important than your rifle, more important than your binoculars. Because if you can't walk you can't hunt!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb 10 4 on the importance of good boots. I have hunted sheep high, griz bear in the wet low lands of SE AK and antelope in the desert. No matter what hunt or geographic area protecting our feet with the best should be aq priority.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was Westley Richards selling Courteneys at the sci convention this year?

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Courtney Safari's. On one safari I had a pair of Clark Desert Hunters and thorn went all the way thru the sole into my foot. I went the rest of the safari in a pair of Rockport Light Hikers. Not by choice but they were OK. Courtney's will accompany me from now on,but I do have a pair of Russell's to try also.
Doug

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunder stick:
Was Westley Richards selling Courteneys at the sci convention this year?
yes they were

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Courtneys for years, they are very comfortable but don't have a lot of support at all. I have not used them for a spell now, and I think they are somewhat of a status symbol more thatn anything else these days, so many more good modern designed shoes out there anymore.

I like athletic shoes mostly, they dry out faster when you get them wet, and you do get them wet in much of Africa, like in Zim and Tanz. They have wonderful support and seldom, if ever, cause a blister.

I think my favorite all around shoe is Ropers horse shoes, as they have a small heel that comes in handy and they work in the mountains of RSA or the swamps of Mozambique. They are leather but dry fast, and they are very warm in cold weather, and for some may be a bit too warm in the heat, but that doesn't seem to bother me. They are also great in Idaho and the USA.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of pairs of Russells and they can't compare to a modern boot design with a PU midsole like a Lowa Seeker or Timpan Desert. It's like using iron sights instead of a scope.

And I might be deaf, but I can't tell any difference in quietness. If the sole is flexible , you are in business.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I wrote last week:
quote:
2 years ago I belived that shoes like Courteney and similar can be a good choice, I changed my opinion after I hunted in Namibian Khomas Area. The round rocks of the hills are one of the worst terrain for walking and a more tight and hight ankle support is welcome. Taking in consideration that a pair of shoes weight from 1 to two ore more kgs on the check-in scale, I'll use light trekking boots made by Zamberlan that I already used for hunting, leaving home a pair of african shoes. They are comfortable but, probably, dedicated to different terrains.

Maybe when I'll go in a different area or country my opinion will change.

I confirm again what I wrote.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Russell's custom Mbogo and all I got were blisters in Zim Buffalo hunting. Sent them back and they are no better - they are now gathering dust in my garage. I have an old pair of Rockys that were built like an athletic shoe but with boot top and they are great. Taking them Wed..

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though I have not been to Africa yet I would like to weigh in on this based on other experience.
Being that I spend 90% of my hunting time in Texas, 80% of my hunting is done in cool to HOT weather. That means I spend 85% of my hunting time in my Vasque Breeze's.

These boots are FANTASTIC and I wouldn't trade em for anything. They offer the ankle and foot support of a hiking boot with the light-weight performance of an athletic shoe. They are affordable ($140), breathable and if you get the Gore-Tex version like I have, they are waterproof. I put Filson cork insoles in mine and they are perfect.

The rest of my hunting time I spend in my Lacrosse Alpha Swamp Fox waders or my Lacrosse Alpha Burly Sports.

Cheers

Billy Bob

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Vasque boots look really nice!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I bought a pair of Russell's custom Mbogo and all I got were blisters in Zim Buffalo hunting. Sent them back and they are no better - they are now gathering dust in my garage. I have an old pair of Rockys that were built like an athletic shoe but with boot top and they are great. Taking them Wed..

Same for me with a custom pair of PH Mountain Hunters...............I threw them out in the end Frowner

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I use normal Hi Tecs they are light enough and has ankle support they don't last that long but for the price it is easy to buy a piar for each season. But normally they last me at least two seasons. Very comfortable from day one as well.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you hunt chossy mountain/skree type stuff or rocky desert (and that depends as well)...Trail Runners are great. You typically don't need heavy boots for bush walking, its overkill.

Look at what many guides and PH's wear, hardly ever more than light hiking boots, unless of course its really rugged terrain.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Safari-hunt:
I, too, have found Hi-Tecs very comfortable. If they wear out in a year or two, I'm only out $50-60. I am paying Africa my first visit next month, but I cannot conceive of terrain more difficult and hard on feet, ankles and footwear than the steep volcanic rimrock where we hunt chukars and mule deer here in Oregon.
Perhaps someone much more experienced than I can explain what it is about African soil and ground conditions that are so different from those encountered in North America's various environments.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Haven`t tried to many different boots made for African adventures, but I love my Courtney Selous! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have the time to wait and want the Vasque Breeze, hit REI at the end of summer for $90.

Edited: That's for "no GoreTex," which is the way I bought my Breeze.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote