Find
Notify
Tools

36 Hours Out
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I leave for Zim in 36 hours for a tuskless and buffalo hunt with Martin Pieters in Omay. The hunt was booked after reading about it on AR.

This is my first trip to Zim, my first elephant hunt, first hunt with a double rifle and the first trip to Africa without using an agent stateside. Martin, his wife, and assistant have been very responsive to all my questions.

I ran over two hundred rounds through the double and feel prepared. I have walked many many miles in the last two months decked out in full safari gear with double across my shoulder (Thankfully I live out of town and walk in the sugar cane fields) The Russells are broken in I just have to mindfull not to let my plantar fasciitis flare up as the Russells do not offer much support, but they very comfortable and quiet.

The bags are packed and repacked and finally got my two suitcases under 50 lbs each. Plenty of gifts and supplies. My personal gear is basically the gun case with almost everything else carry-on.

Timing never seems to be good. Last year we went to Tanzania 4 days after hurricane Ike hit. We flooded at my business and work was insane, thankfully I have great people working with me and they made me go. This year is even more difficult as we sold the company in February and work has slowed to a crawl. Thankfully my partner stayed on after the sale and he can take care of business while I am gone.

Unfortunately my wife will not make this trip. It will be different not hunting with her.

With those things said I am very excited and nervous. Last year I handled the buffalo fine. An elephant at 20 feet will be very interesting.

Hopefully I will post a great report in a couple of weeks. Until then....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you Mike. Have a great trip/hunt and we'll look forward to reading your report.

MG

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, have fun and make us Louisiana boys proud.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
An Aussie mate by the name of Neil has left today for the same hunt.
Say Hi for me if you meet him.
Oh, and have a great time. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt and I wish you luck! I know your anticipation as well, because I only have 298 days left before another PG hunt in RSA, but hey how is counting, right?

Good luck,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
JD,
I will not let us down. I will just pretend it is a big nutria.

Ozhunter,
I will look for Neil, hopefully he is on a great hunt. BTW I bought one of those cool looking Tilly hats like yours.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em Mike, and enjoy your upcoming Safari! Remember, pics and a full report upon your return! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt; hope it is wonderful for you. I found my buff/tuskless to be the highlight of my hunting career - looking forward to a full report when you return from yours.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Good luck Mike. have fun!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote