Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Where's it located at?

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Chewore South. For those of you familiar with the area, it is located in forest close to the Mkanga River, between the parks post and the Muveya Hills....

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who measured every mopani tree on the face of the Earth and decided this one was the largest?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
funz

Note the question mark after the post heading.
For your information, however, I do declare this the world's largest mopani tree, without any question marks, until someone finds one larger. I think I'll take some precise measurements and send them to Guiness.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Ok David,

Youve made a point ! thumb
It's huge I will make it a habit now to check if I can find a bigger one. And the day I do it will probarbly be with a client and he would probarbly think I'm nuts talking about finding a bigger tree than someone else I know dancing

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a much larger one on the mopane ranch by reutanga(sp?) I think somewhere i've got some pictures of it, but if memory serves it was something like 25-30' thick

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops excuse me - i was thinking baobab - that is a huge mopane

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, it's bigger than the ones we have in Alaska. Wink

We need to see some big baobab trees too. The ones I saw in Makuti were not nearly the size of some I have seen photos of.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are bigger mopanis around, this is just the biggest I've ever come across. Yukon delta, here is a big baobab tree from Mokori in the Save Valley for you.

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
David, I think I have a video taken in front of that very tree when we were hunting at Humani in 95. I remember Mush Nichols telling us that it was one of the biggest in the world.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a big one...same one in all 3 photos? One thing that confuses me is that I heard a PH (who has a real strong interest in trees/plants) state that the baobab is not actually a true tree but rather a succulent (like a cactus). That doesn't make sense to me because the baobab is deciduous and sheds its leaves.

Comments?

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
David-

I KNOW I have a pic of that same tree!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the baobabs I have seen had bats roosting in them. Now that...is a nasty smell.

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
A baobab is most definitely a tree.

It stores alot of water in its root/trunk tissue which makes it a sort of a succulent (plant).

ie. succulent simply describes a plant that stores water in its tissues. Many non-cacti are succulents.

I've got a baobab growing in a pot at home. Can't wait for it to get as big as the one in the picture Roll Eyes

Never seen a mopani (mopane?) in person. That one sure has an awfully thick trunk (is that the best measure of size?). Wonder how old it is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one almost as big as that one on the trail from the security road into the Sapi Safari area in the Zambezi Valley. I believe you catch a glimpse of it on one of Boddingtons videos. I have some pics of the bakki in front of it and it really dwarfs the vehicle. I am told, Baobabs that size are 2000+ years old.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you growing the baobab in a pot for a bonzai project?

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
You should send the measurements to SCI. It might get you one step closer to qualifying for their "Deciduous Trees of Africa" Inner Circle Award.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of you have a picture of the world's largest leadwood tree? There's nothing like a beautiful leadwood fire at night in Africa. Ahhhh. . . .I can just smell it now!

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Cool thread.

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
That is a big one...same one in all 3 photos? One thing that confuses me is that I heard a PH (who has a real strong interest in trees/plants) state that the baobab is not actually a true tree but rather a succulent (like a cactus). That doesn't make sense to me because the baobab is deciduous and sheds its leaves.

Comments?

Bryan,

In the book 'NDLOVU - The Art of Hunting the African Elephant' you will see a photo of the Mokore baobab, page 192. Included is quite a lot of info on baobabs and mopanes also.

Use Enough Gun: I very roughly measured the base of a Leadwood tree in Sapi Safari Area, near the banks of the Chewore river, using my rifle, and estimated it at eleven feet at its widest (it was not round).

Richard Harland.
Author of: The Hunting Imperative; African Epic; Ndlovu.

Posts: 78 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard. I had forgotten about the excellent section of your book from pp. 191-197 on mopanes and baobabs. You state therein that the baobab pictured here is a measured 134 feet in circumference and that it could be 4000 years old. It is in the Save valley on the Mokore Safaris property run by your long time friend Barrie Duckworth.

I need to reply to your email also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my pic made w/ a big baobab in Gwaii a few years ago. Spent the next several days dealing with pepper ticks (chiggers) that I picked up from under that behemoth. Looking back - a really good pic worth the pain of the pepper ticks. Never had another struggle with them - wonder why pepper ticks like to live under a baobab tree?

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
wow, that is a cool tree. What will future archaeologists think of it? I wonder.

That thing has to be a few thou years old.

Yukon; yeah, I bought some seeds off e-bay and planted them. a few sprouted and now I have a three year old baobab. Doesn't look like more than a stick right now. Maybe in a hundred years. Still kinda cool though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the story on that one? I've never seen it before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
What's the story on that one? I've never seen it before.

Disney World

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I would call some true "wonders of the world." Thanks for posting guys! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they have one in Disneyland in California as well. Quite the fakes, made out of cement and other materials, fake leaves and the whole shabang.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Great pics, too.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is that fake tree located that Ghundwan first posted? It has kind of a cool, "Lord of the Rings" type look to it like it's part of a movie set.