Find
Notify
Tools

42.5 inch capebufflao bull
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T
posted
Congratulations to Don Bass on his trophy bull. Don has hunted with me in the states but this was his first African Safari.He hunted with Pro-Safaris in Omay. Don reports a exceptional hunt and has booked a leopard hunt for 2006.

clap

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I'll start...funny looking Cape Buff! lol

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Is that hair on the boss?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Very good sable !!!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Hey, some of you guys wish you had that much hair on your head! Smiler

What rifle and caliber was he using? Looks like a nice setup.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Hey, some of you guys wish you had that much hair on your head! Smiler

What rifle and caliber was he using? Looks like a nice setup.

The buff does look a bit soft on the top, but 500 makes an excellent point! I would have a little trouble restraining myself from taking him as well...

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies thanks for posting!

Love the Buff & sable!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I wager there a lot of folks here who only wish they had a Buffalo that good! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
e buff does look a bit soft on the top, but 500 makes an excellent point! I would have a little trouble restraining myself from taking him as well...

I think some of us (sitting here after the hunt) tend to forget that these safaris are hunts and not "shoots."

Obviously everyone goes to africa wanting a 60" Kudu and a 45" buff with 16" hard bosses.

But the reality of the hunt sets in on about day 10 (when you've seen only one cow buff or only two 45" kudu).

What do you do then?

Go home empty handed after you've spent all that money getting there? It's not like deer hunting an hour from home... you can't just come back next weekend.

No, you take advantage of the best opportunity that presents itself.

It's still a "hunt" and nothing is guaranteed. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I wager there a lot of folks here who only wish they had a Buffalo that good! bewildered

And you would win Big Grin I am one of those folks
for sure.
Looks like a great hunt. I would be happy,happy.
beer

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am getting the idea that people think my question was negative. My question was a question...the bull looks mature because his thinning body hair and wear on the front of his horns..I have never heard of hair on a boss.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and thanks for posting the pictures. Smiler

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Will, While you are contemplating how to handle the heat from your response here, please go to your thread on your ele hunt and answer some of questions, give us more details, etc, etc!!!

T, Congrats to Don Bass on his hunt. That sable is a beaut....I am GREEN with envy!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

He may be saving that information as material for his book. Wink wave

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Yer probably right...but I'd still read it even if I knew all the endings!!! Big Grin

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will

Mike,
I'll take the heat. Hey, it looks very immature with very soft bosses, and not 42.5". So folks can yell at me if they want.[/QUOTE]

Will, what happened to your sensitive, tactful side ?? Wink BTW, like the ele hunt pictures!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Hello T,

Very nice pictures!!! I love the buffalo!!! I'm curious to know what kind of rifle you used, caliber, bullet selection and velocity.

Great pictures!!! I am envious.

Best Regards,

Enigma

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
No point in bullshitting the paying clients, except maybe for the operator!

You planning on telling us who the operator or PH's were? Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
NO!

Could you be just a little more emphatic? roflmao

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to side with Will all the way! Unfortunately, very often clients think they got what they wanted and if someone tries to "educate" them they become overly defensive.

How else is someone to learn the difference between a sub-standard trophy quality and a standard or above standard one if they take offense to someone pointing that out?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
To Will's point, I had a friend come back from his first trip to SA (I tried to talk him into going to Zim) with a 46" "lesser kudu." At least that's what the PH in SA told him it was.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
I am going to side with Will all the way! Unfortunately, very often clients think they got what they wanted and if someone tries to "educate" them they become overly defensive.

How else is someone to learn the difference between a sub-standard trophy quality and a standard or above standard one if they take offense to someone pointing that out?

There is a gun/sporting goods store here in Salt Lake that a number of years ago put a whole bunch of crap PG mounts on the wall. One of the owners had gone on a PG hunt to RSA. The heads were ridiculous, all very clearly immature. Apparently the guy wised up, perhaps because of customer comments, as the trophies disappeared. The store moved, and now has very nice trophies on the wall.

We all have to get our education somewhere, and getting it from Will beside a campfire is as good a place to start as any, and better than most.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
We all have to get our education somewhere, and getting it from Will beside a campfire is as good a place to start as any, and better than most.

I agree with that.

Its different if the guy knowingly shot an immature bull cuz thats what he wanted (wide, regardless of age). I won't call a guys trophy down if he's proud of it. As I figure it, if he doesn't care its young, why should I? Its his hunt, his $$, his experience. Its kinda like saying the guy shoulda held out for a better lookin wife. Eeker

Now, if he didn't know and does care, while it may be a bitter pill to swallow, its better to hear about it and learn than have people make nice.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
I won't call a guys trophy down if he's proud of it.

I agree. Last year I was hunting whitetail with an outfitter friend of mine in South Texas. A guy in his mid thirties shot his first buck ever. The deer was a mediocre 10 pt that probably scored in the 120s. There were some guys from a hunting TV show ot the same ranch filming an episode, and they talked so much crap to this first timer that he went up to my friend (the outfitter) and apoligized for shooting the deer. My friend told the hunter that he had nothing to apologize for and that the hunter's first deer was a hell of a lot bigger than the outfitter's first deer.

It really chapped my butt that those experienced "professionals" would treat a first timer this way.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

However, a good outfitter PH should provide an honest assessment of the animal and make sure his client understands, rather than letting the client believe it is something that it isn't.

I don't know what the case was here, but I do know that my PH would not have let me shoot that buffalo.

Now, if the PH had said to the client that it is the last hunting day and there is a big bull but it is not what most people would deem to be a trophy based upon the soft boss. And if the client understood that and then still decided to shoot the buff, it is the clients choice.

In my book, shooting that buff is kind of like shooting a big bodied elephant with 10 lbs. tusks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
I won't call a guys trophy down if he's proud of it.

I agree. Last year I was hunting whitetail with an outfitter friend of mine in South Texas. A guy in his mid thirties shot his first buck ever. The deer was a mediocre 10 pt that probably scored in the 120s. There were some guys from a hunting TV show ot the same ranch filming an episode, and they talked so much crap to this first timer that he went up to my friend (the outfitter) and apoligized for shooting the deer. My friend told the hunter that he had nothing to apologize for and that the hunter's first deer was a hell of a lot bigger than the outfitter's first deer.

It really chapped my butt that those experienced "professionals" would treat a first timer this way.

...........And that's exactly what happened here! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Beautiful sable, I really like the Buff, and I think that Bushpig is Great!

I can't help it, I like hunting pigs and a Bushpig is on my "have to hunt one" list.

Congrats!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
To Will's point, I had a friend come back from his first trip to SA (I tried to talk him into going to Zim) with a 46" "lesser kudu." At least that's what the PH in SA told him it was.

To be honest it was one of the lesser Greater Kudus they have on the ranch.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
I have only one safari under my belt and one buff so mine might not "measure" up to some other peoples standards - but I am pleased ! The first thing my ph asked was what my expectations for throphy size was , I said I wanted mature animals and never requested a NUMBER size . The only measurements I took were neck and eye to nose for taxidermist !

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somehow I don't think if one was getting gored by those "immature" horns it would really matter if the boss was hard or not. Lets not forget that part of the trophy quality is the challange and potenital danger involved in shooting the buff.................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If I liked him or it was a memorable hunt in some way, shape or form and the PH gave me the "thumbs up", I'd shoot him and tell anyone who criticized him to politely kiss my ass!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I don't buy this "It's all subjective . . ." nonsense.

That's an immature, soft-bossed bull and shouldn't have been shot.

If the client couldn't see it and know it, then the PH should have.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My post is not subjective, if I liked him, shot him, I don't give a hoot in hell what anyone else thinks! I don't need anyone to validate what, when or where I hunt! It's not about this particular buffalo, it's about a hunter's choices when he is in the field and the criticism or accolades he/she receives for making those choices. Some hunters need validation...I don't. Would we being doing this much hand wringing if it were a six point whitetail buck?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice sable how long is it??? Did you shoot it in Omay??

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

To be honest it was one of the lesser Greater Kudus they have on the ranch.

Exactly!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
My post is not subjective, if I liked him, shot him, I don't give a hoot in hell what anyone else thinks! I don't need anyone to validate what, when or where I hunt! It's not about this particular buffalo, it's about a hunter's choices when he is in the field and the criticism or accolades he/she receives for making those choices. Some hunters need validation...I don't. Would we being doing this much hand wringing if it were a six point whitetail buck?

bwanamrm,

Don't be so touchy. I wasn't just picking on you. I was picking on a lot of other posters too. Razzer

There are normative, objective standards in the hunting of big game animals and they should be observed. Just because some have lower standards than others, doesn't make the objective ones questionable, or the lower ones more justifiable.

A PH is supposed to prevent his inexperienced tourist hunter from shooting the youngsters. This one failed. Plain and simple.

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,
Not trying to be prickly...I would not have shot that buff, neither would you...but if the PH gave him the "thumbs up" and he wanted that buff, I'd defend his right to shoot him. Just like I would defend the hunter who shot a 34" mature bull that would not qualify as a "trophy" in others eyes. That's my only point. Why let others define what a trophy is to you? Wink

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I much dislike name calling and disparaging judgement of another's desire to share a part of their African experience. I congratulate the honor of taking one's first DG animal.

Well done. And to those who look down their nose...Knock off your insentitive & sanctimonious crap.

This gent posted to share his glowing moment, hoping for some congratulatory vote from his AR brethren. Only to find a few who cast distain on his fortune. Shame on you.

It is the hunt and the experience. Not the inches or lbs. You weren't there. You don't know what was available. You don't know....

Damn you for your judgement. Shoe fits, wear it.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Joe:
I much dislike name calling and disparaging judgement of another's desire to share a part of their African experience. I congratulate the honor of taking one's first DG animal.

Well done. And to those who look down their nose...Knock off your insentitive & sanctimonious crap.

This gent posted to share his glowing moment, hoping for some congratulatory vote from his AR brethren. Only to find a few who cast distain on his fortune. Shame on you.

It is the hunt and the experience. Not the inches or lbs. You weren't there. You don't know what was available. You don't know....

Damn you for your judgement. Shoe fits, wear it.

And you're so far out of line and completely idiotic to boot that I damned near didn't waste the little time I have for this response.

So shoot a calf why don't you? Best to not boast or post if what you've done won't stand up to the standards of what you're bloody well doing.

Why don't we all just smile and shuffle? Because there are standards and some of us stand for them. I think it's the hunter's responsiblity to know what to shoot and when and under what circumstances to shoot it.

If you want to shoot anything that moves, then go ahead.

But you'd better not expect me to sit by and remain silent when you--or anyone else--claim you've done anything noteworthy.

Mike