New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC and Concealed Carry Policy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
K Evans....can you comment on this? It was posted on another forum where guys were wondering about DSC's stance on Concealed Carry at the show.

"I was going to go to the convention in 2015 to try to find and book an Alaskan black bear hunt. I heard DSC had posted the convention center with 30.06 signs. so I e-mailed DSC and they said it was illegal to carry in the facility, I sent them the info you posted and they finally admitted it was not illegal, that it was just their policy."

I doubt they will miss me, but I refuse to support an organization that refuses to support my right to carry. I find their policy to be extremely hypocritical and I really don't like to be lied to.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
DSC has no control over convention center policy and regs. I am sure they will miss you, though.....
rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
you posted and they finally admitted it was not illegal, tha
"I was going to go to the convention in 2015 to try to find and book an Alaskan black bear hunt."

He was going to the convention three years ago to buy a book?

Sounds like a contrived post.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12687 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
DSC has no control over convention center policy and regs. I am sure they will miss you, though.....
rotflmo

Question wasn't for me you dumbass. I've got more mule deer hunting to do. keep guessing.....you're doing good.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
"I was going to go to the convention in 2015 to try to find and book an Alaskan black bear hunt."

You'd be wrong.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...xt-week#Post12513563

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding was that there are some laws that apply. Should the venue decide to ban carrying,they have to post specific signs. My understanding is that it was the convention center that made the decision NOT DSC. I may be wrong.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
My understanding was that there are some laws that apply. Should the venue decide to ban carrying,they have to post specific signs. My understanding is that it was the convention center that made the decision NOT DSC. I may be wrong.

Thank you Larry. That is my understanding as well. I read that other forum's post and wanted clarification from K Evans that it was a convention center thing, not DSC thing, to set the record straight. That obviously flew right over the head of jdollar.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
JG has a good point and it is not a contrived post. He said he was going to find and BOOK a bear hunt. I also would like to know if it is the Convention Centers policy or is it DSC's policy? My understanding is that it is DSC policy which I find a bit puzzling. They do not have detectors at the door, nor do they wand you, I believe if they did that, there would be a lot of negative blowback. As a longtime legal CHL holder, it does bother me that an organization that I belong to and is heavily involved in gun related sport, would deny law abiding citizens their legal right to self protection, but, hey, thats just me!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larryshores:
My understanding was that there are some laws that apply. Should the venue decide to ban carrying,they have to post specific signs. My understanding is that it was the convention center that made the decision NOT DSC. I may be wrong.[/QUOTE

Thank you Larry. That is my understanding as well. I read that other forum's post and wanted clarification from K Evans that it was a convention center thing, not DSC thing, to set the record straight. That obviously flew right over the head of jdollar.

No, that’s exactly what I posted. It’s the convention center policy and DSC has no say in the matter. Your post includes a quote from 24h campefire and ends quotation marks after the word policy. Unfortunately the original post continues through the next sentence you posted and it appears that the sentence is yours. It completely changes what you posted. Call it semantics but it’s a fact. Practice your writing skills. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larryshores:
My understanding was that there are some laws that apply. Should the venue decide to ban carrying,they have to post specific signs. My understanding is that it was the convention center that made the decision NOT DSC. I may be wrong.[/QUOTE

No, that’s exactly what I posted. It’s the convention center policy and DSC has no say in the matter. Your post includes a quote from 24h campefire and ends quotation marks after the word policy. Unfortunately the original post continues through the next sentence you posted and it appears that the sentence is yours. It completely changes what you posted. Call it semantics but it’s a fact. Practice your writing skills. tu2

Strike two.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your Weapons Policy?
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas follows all applicable State and local laws regarding weapons in the facility. Weapons of any kind are not allowed at collegiate, religious, or high school events pursuant to Texas Penal Code (§46.03 & §46.035).

Assuming you have a carry license that is valid in the state of Texas you should be fine, unless there is a 30.06 or 30.07 sign posted before the entrance (I've never seen one in the past but won't swear they weren't there). Even if posted the sign might be illegal if DSC put them up but I wouldn't chance it. I'm not a lawyer so do with this information as you will.

Google 30.06 concealed carry if you want to get an idea of what they look like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the same note:

I've wondered about this at the NRA conventions. Iv'e never been to one yet, but, thought a few times I might if they come back within driving distance. Denver ran 'em off the year of Columbine and they haven't been back since.

I sure as hell refuse to leave my gun in the car and will just turn back and go home when I see such signs. I carry for a reason and will not do business anywhere I can't carry. JG, sounds like we agree there. Right on!

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6000 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years ago the NRA held their annual convention in Philadelphia. Prior to the show our local liberal anti-gun newspaper printed a story about how the NRA wouldn't allow concealed carry at their convention when in fact it was the policy of the convention center and not the NRA. Nothing but fake news. There were no wands or metal detectors so if someone did carry nobody would have known.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The DSC event, at least since moved to Kay Bailey Hutchins Convention Center, has always been posted with 30.06 signs.

The reasons have been explained here before.

I do disagree with it...but apparently if it is held within this center and the context within the convention hall remains as it has historically...the center must be signed 30.06 to remain compliant with the State’s laws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl explained all of this to me last year. I remember the signage issue probably because of the use of 30-06.

I seem to recall seeing at least one sign. It was not as prominent as I would have thought.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the plot thickens....that is if we are to believe the latest from this guy over on 24HCF who now says a lady named Crystal confirmed via email that concealed carry is allowed this year. It would appear to me that this was a DSC deal all along, but who really knows? I sure hope K Evans will chime in and clear the air....

"Just got an e-mail back from Crystal at DSC......concealed carry is allowed this year......guess they saw the error of their ways."

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...xt-week#Post12514795

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to carry a gun there. I think you are plenty safe as there are a bunch of guns already in the show!!! Please there are bunch of police too.

I have a concealed carry permit but don't carry. I would be too tempted....

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

You'd be wrong.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...xt-week#Post12513563

I was commenting off your original post

quote:
K Evans....can you comment on this? It was posted on another forum where guys were wondering about DSC's stance on Concealed Carry at the show.

"I was going to go to the convention in 2015 to try to find and book an Alaskan black bear hunt. I heard DSC had posted the convention center with 30.06 signs. so I e-mailed DSC and they said it was illegal to carry in the facility, I sent them the info you posted and they finally admitted it was not illegal, that it was just their policy."

I doubt they will miss me, but I refuse to support an organization that refuses to support my right to carry. I find their policy to be extremely hypocritical and I really don't like to be lied to.

How can I be wrong? If you then choose later to post another link to a different post as proof doesn't that say more about your lack of ability to post the correct information to start with.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12687 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, it is very simple. Follow the link and scroll through the posts. You'll have it in plain sight.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
No need to carry a gun there. I think you are plenty safe as there are a bunch of guns already in the show!!! Please there are bunch of police too.

The problem at KBHCC is that if you have to park in overflow or go over to your truck in the exhibitors’ trailer parking area at night...you walk through some pretty dicey areas where vagrants commonly hang out.

It is comforting to be packing at those times.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Worst they can do is ask you to leave.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

The problem at KBHCC is that if you have to park in overflow or go over to your truck in the exhibitors’ trailer parking area at night...you walk through some pretty dicey areas where vagrants commonly hang out.

It is comforting to be packing at those times.

Exactly

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
This is from the Kay Hutchison Convention Center website.

What is your HANDGUN policy?

Licensed handguns (both concealed carry and open carry) are permitted on premise, as allowed by state law, unless the type of event being held at the KBHCCD falls under an exception that would prohibit a person with a license to carry a handgun at the event. Any exceptions will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Director and will be in accordance with state law.

Handguns must be carried in a manner that is allowed by state law.

Unlicensed handguns are NOT PERMITTED on the premises.

Police department or Security staff may request proof of handgun license. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.R.Jackson:
This is from the Kay Hutchison Convention Center website.

What is your HANDGUN policy?

Licensed handguns (both concealed carry and open carry) are permitted on premise, as allowed by state law, unless the type of event being held at the KBHCCD falls under an exception that would prohibit a person with a license to carry a handgun at the event. Any exceptions will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Director and will be in accordance with state law.

Handguns must be carried in a manner that is allowed by state law.

Unlicensed handguns are NOT PERMITTED on the premises.

Police department or Security staff may request proof of handgun license. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Good info, thanks for posting. It appears it was a DSC issue then, not KBHCC.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I personally know a guy who has carried concealed in every convention dsc has had there and also in the old venue. He said if they ask him to leave, he will just go home.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is concealed, who would know about it to ask you to leave? Just learn to conceal and go about your business.

I think Bill Clinton passed that law; DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No 30.06 signageat the door when I walked in this morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by royal27:

Obviously the policy has changed. I've become curious as to who the culprit was....DSC or KBHCC?

Also, a guy can get away with carrying concealed, even when 30-06 sings are posted, but breaking the law is a bad habit.

For the record, I don't like it when anybody tells me I don't have the right to defend myself.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Obviously the policy has changed. I've become curious as to who the culprit was....DSC or KBHCC?

Also, a guy can get away with carrying concealed, even when 30-06 sings are posted, but breaking the law is a bad habit.

For the record, I don't like it when anybody tells me I don't have the right to defend myself.

In a hunting convention?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

In a hunting convention?

Anywhere, anytime.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Anywhere, anytime.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Some folks are a bit slow on the uptake. They don't have transporter beams yet like on Star Trek, so most of us have to contend with remote parking and parking garages. You can easily walk several hundred yards to get into the Convention Center. Multi-story parking garages in almost any major city, have a high incidence of crime as in car thefts and armed robberies. Neither DSC, nor the city, guarantee your safety outside of the hall, and I have never seen any police patrolling the parking areas. Like most things in life, you are on your own, and that bothers me not, but, if I am on my own, I expect to be able to take care of my self, and as a Licensed CC, I am capable of doing that. I don't want any petty functionary arbitrarily deciding to restrict my legal rights on a whim. That is why we have specific laws on the books. DSC may almost be a religious experience for some, but if you read the previous post on the few restrictions that can be imposed, this does not meet them, at least the way I read it, and unlike private property which can post the 30/06 at their pleasure, this is a publically owned building and must obey the law.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
If it is concealed, who would know about it to ask you to leave? Just learn to conceal and go about your business.

I think Bill Clinton passed that law; DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

Don't ask, don't tell. One of the best things Bubba ever did. Words to live by. Also, "never complain, never explain". Works well at home, too.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until this thread I'd never heard of such a thing as a: 30.06 sign. When I saw that, I had to read and find out what the Hell you guys were talking about.

Out here, most gunshows have signs that plainly state: "no Guns Allowed".

Far as I'm concerned when i see such a thing, I turn around and go back home and never go there again as long as the same outfit sponsors the show.

I haven't been to one in ten years because of that.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6000 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Who knows? DSC certainly changes rules around.

I remember in 2014 there was no booze allowed at all on the floor, only in food courts. That's changed for sure.

I wouldn't be shocked if DSC lawyers told them to not allow carry for laibiliity reasons, and that they finally just came to their senses. Regardless of why, they made the right call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In a hunting convention?

Fairgame,it sounds like you hate guns,

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Until this thread I'd never heard of such a thing as a: 30.06 sign. When I saw that, I had to read and find out what the Hell you guys were talking about.

Out here, most gunshows have signs that plainly state: "no Guns Allowed".

Far as I'm concerned when i see such a thing, I turn around and go back home and never go there again as long as the same outfit sponsors the show.

I haven't been to one in ten years because of that.

George

George, the 30:06 sign is a required state law
For any place that wants to have there place of business to be a gun free zone and does apply to permitted concealed carry licensed people.

The 30:06 sign no longer exists, and has been changed to cover legal open carry as well and is a very large sign that must be posted at all entrances to a place where concealed, and open carry is not allowed.

If these new signs in both English and Spanish are not displayed at all doors then a licensed carrier may carry in that venue.

...............Hope that is as clear as mud! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In a hunting convention?

George I will carry a firearm in an environment that I do not consider safe. Also keep a side arm by my bed at night.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In a hunting convention?

George I will carry a firearm in an environment that I do not consider safe. Also keep a side arm by my bed at night.

Yes but why criticize decent people who want to carry a handgun.Banning guns starts with attitudes like that.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote