New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC and Concealed Carry Policy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carrying a concealed weapon to a public event has got nothing to with being a decent person; certain venues do not entertain the practice for reasons of their own, to which they are entitled.

It would also be very likely that the organizers have the place tightly secured with armed security on the ground unobtrusively mingling with the crowd.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
George,
I live in Arizona. Here, we can carry concealed, without a permit of any kind. That said, there are places where I just leave it in my pick-up. A hunting show is one of those places for me.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is the remote parking that is the problem Steve. Especially if you must leave the convention late after dark.

KBHCC is on the edge of some territory where if one is walking in the dark...one would like to have his gun.

All this said...I have seen no signage this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
In recent years there has been several changes to where carry is allowed. At one time you were not allowed to carry to public facilities with a capacity over a certain number, government facilities, and several others. Now to ban carry at a lot of facilities they have to justify the ban. It also gets complicated when alcohol sales are involved. If I remember correctly they changed the arrangement for booths selling guns in order to allow alcohol outside of the concession area.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
It is the remote parking that is the problem Steve. Especially if you must leave the convention late after dark.

KBHCC is on the edge of some territory where if one is walking in the dark...one would like to have his gun.

I have a co-worker that was changing trains at the convention center station. He was hit in the back of the head by some punk that must have thought he was an easy target and he landed on the tracks. When my co-worker got up the punk came at him again, but got knocked out instead. This was in day time during rush hour with lots of people around.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Those trains have become a war zone. They are on the news about every other day with stabbings, or gang beat-downs. Dallas made a big mistake when they extended to tracks down into South Dallas.

..................................................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it is after the fact but the show used to post 30.06 signs but about 3 years ago we stopped in accordance with changes to state law.

Scott Tobermann, DVM
Past President, Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I have a co-worker that was changing trains at the convention center station. He was hit in the back of the head by some punk that must have thought he was an easy target and he landed on the tracks. When my co-worker got up the punk came at him again, but got knocked out instead. This was in day time during rush hour with lots of people around.

I have a couple of friends (from different countries) who attend every year. One used to do Thai fighting professionally in the far east. One is ex-special forces, one of the upper level special forces. They were walking to catch a ride somewhere when they were accosted by 4 males from south of the border. The 4 males attempted to rob them. When it was over, rather quickly I might add, I am confident the 4 males wished they were back across the border. It did not work out so well for them.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
Larry,

That is a great story. One never knows....

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the reason to never mess with anyone because one never knows what is lurking beneath the surface.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that the policy (or at least the lack of signage) changed at last year's 2017 show. I was taking the DART train down to the show and wasn't going to ride it w/o carrying my pistol. So regardless of whether the Convention Center was posted or not, I was carrying. As someone else noted, the best they can do is ask you to leave, and if you refuse, then you can be cited for trespassing. Fortunately, when I got there, there was no sign in the location where I had seen it in the past. The sign wasn't there this year either. Excellent.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
K Evans....can you comment on this? It was posted on another forum where guys were wondering about DSC's stance on Concealed Carry at the show.

JG,
Sorry for the lack of a response, I moved inbto the hotel for our convention on Jan 1 and have not looked at /AR until tonight. The convention center is a "government building" as defined by Texas law and as such, we could not prohibit open or concealed carry if we wanted to, which we did not. No telling how many people were carrying concealed,myself included, and I don't care. Having said that, anyone carrying openly would likely be shadowed by an armed member of Dallas Security (not DPD), sorry for taking so long to respond. Been pretty busy.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2894 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir! Congrats on another great show.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote