New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup Rifle for Plains Game Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a shotgun instead of the second rifle. Or, better yet, get a shot&ball gun as a backup that will take birds as well as serve as a backup to your rifle.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
BT - That is the perfect and maybe the only solution/reason for the taking of two rifles on safari? But, then it's back to the old 2X game. 2X the luggage, 2X the cost, 2X the on and on. The taking of a wife, girlfriend, best friend or such really does justify the 2X syndrome however.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:

quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:

quote:
A spare scope? more usefull by my opinion. When possible, it should stay in the hand luggage,

I read once that U.S. airlines would not allow any firearms parts, including scopes, in carry on luggage. Is that not true?

The term "gun Parts" is open to interpretation so you may have trouble with an extra scope in your carry-on depending on TSA's whims or the counter agent's attitude. An extra scope isn't going to do you any good if your firearm doesn't show up at your destination so I usually pack mine with my rifle. I never take a back up rifle but I always take Mrs Blacktailer and her rifle so we can share if necessary. Wink

Hi,
Different countries, different rules and problems. In Italy is permitted, not in England, for example.

Having said this, taking in consideration that Murphy's laws are always valid and working, I'm thinking to the absolute WORST situation:
two rifles in two different bags, solving and maybe paying the extra weight luggage fees (as happened to me three years ago, still waiting the refund), than, at the arrival,you do not see your N.1 rifle and not even the N.2 Eeker Frowner

Double absolute risk, double loss, double anxiety, double stress, for any thing you can think about, the key word is double, as Larry already wrote, but I'm actually putting in evidence the negative side of the situation.

The other negative possibility that I see, is to have both rifle there and, at the end, to use only one, the N.1, living the other in his bag.

A lot of effort to satisfy a preference by my opinion. Better spend money to hunt more, where more can e animals, days or both.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three of us went for plains game in Namibia. We packed four rifles in two cases (one primary rifle for each of us and a back up for the party.) One back up rifle is fully adequate for a party of two to four hunters.

Taking four rifles was no more trouble than taking three. Only two of us checked a gun case, leaving the third person the option of checking a second bag on the return for souvenirs, etc.

Since our guide admired the Leupold scope on my primary rifle, I made a gift of it and dismounted it to mount it on his gun the day before our hunt ended. I hunted on our final day with the back up rifle. I wouldn't have had this option without having taken a back up.

As far as the risk of having an additional rifle lost or stolen, well, if I can't afford to take that risk and absorb that loss if necessary, then I have no business spending the money to hunt in Africa.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I went for Buffalo in the Selous I took my Model 70 .416 Rem, with a .358 STA for plains game. Both were a pleasure to get ready and use on the hunt. When I go for plains game only I will take the .358 STA for the larger stuff and a .270 WSM for the smaller stuff. Like Stonecreek, if I can't afford the risk of insurance to insure the loss or take the loss of one of them, I have no business going on the hunt. One of the reasons I will be going is to shoot my rifle's and justify the long hours of pleasure getting them ready for the hunt with the perfect loads. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't wish to offend anyone, I just don't get the back-up rifle concept. If the main rifle you plan on hunting with malfunctions, I'm more than happy to shoot something the PH owns. Generally, I find they have nice rifles, and any decent ph would surely let the client use a rifle. Also, I would never pay to use a rifle, I think that's a little ridiculous. The people I've hunted with wouldn't dare ask a client for 100 per day for rifle usage if a clients gun broke. I don't think they would ask money for ammo either, a nice tip would be in order...

I just don't get it, I bring 2 rifles, one big (416), one small (300 wsm), and I know my ph has a .243 for supper small stuff.

Traveling with guns is a pain in the ass, everyone can agree to that, is anyone else feeling me on this?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote