THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    PH-Client relationship (getting what you want)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PH-Client relationship (getting what you want)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
With Tim's recent hunting report I read some of the responses between Tim and Karl and noticed something:

There seemed to be a difference in preceived client voice/say/oppinion necessary in a hunt. This got me thinking back to my first safari and how I might have done things differently or asked for certain things, but didn't because I was new and I suppose expected the PH to show me the ropes so to speak and know what I needed or wanted. I think this could be a great learning tool for newbee bwanas and rather inexperience bwanas like myself.

My question for PHs: What do you expect the hunter to voice his oppinion on or to help make decisions on?

For experienced clients: What have you or would you expect to voice your oppinion on where if you had not or do not things might have gone differently? When should you or do you make your voice herd?

I think some problems arrise because new/inexperience cleints are so caught up in the newness of the experience and on unfamiliar territory that they don't look out for themselves and expect the PH to look out for them. Perhaps advice here will help others make the most of a first or first few safaris.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Touchy subject. Sometimes PHs are inexperienced, too. Also, relatively few PHs have really good "people skills"--if they did, they'd likely be in different businesses.
Some PHs, experienced and inexperienced alike, don't want to hear it. But, in generaly, the client is paying the freight, so if something bothers him I think he should speak up--politely. There's no sense in letting a wound fester. Actually, he should speak up BEFORE booking on certain things. For instance, if a hunter doesn't wish to shoot from the truck, that needs to be clear from the start. Or the opposite: If the hunter doesn't like to walk, or has a physical issue, better make that known. Some PHs are good communicators, many are not--but communications before, during, and even after the hunt is what makes things go more smoothly.

This much I do know: The safari will be more successful if the client, PH, and staff work as a team. This needs to start from Day One. The client doesn't actually have to lift a finger; that what the daily rate covers. But if he gets involved and shows interest in what the PH and the trackers are doing, this usually (not always!) fosters mutual goodwill. It also means helping out when help is obviously needed. The worst thing a client can do is sit in the truck when it's obvious that another pair of hands would help, whether it's hanging a bait, clearing the road, loading a heavy animal, whatever. I also believe the client will have a better safari if he becomes part of it, rather than just the trigger man.
Now, there is a fine line. You can't get in the way, and you certainly can't tell a PH how he should hunt or run his camp. But you can definitely state your preferences (politely!), and you should.
At least those are my thoughts.
Cheers, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craig! That's exactly the kind of advice/tips I was looking for. Anyone else?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of RR4hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Touchy subject. Sometimes PHs are inexperienced, too. Also, relatively few PHs have really good "people skills"--if they did, they'd likely be in different businesses.
Some PHs, experienced and inexperienced alike, don't want to hear it. But, in generaly, the client is paying the freight, so if something bothers him I think he should speak up--politely. There's no sense in letting a wound fester. Actually, he should speak up BEFORE booking on certain things. For instance, if a hunter doesn't wish to shoot from the truck, that needs to be clear from the start. Or the opposite: If the hunter doesn't like to walk, or has a physical issue, better make that known. Some PHs are good communicators, many are not--but communications before, during, and even after the hunt is what makes things go more smoothly.

This much I do know: The safari will be more successful if the client, PH, and staff work as a team. This needs to start from Day One. The client doesn't actually have to lift a finger; that what the daily rate covers. But if he gets involved and shows interest in what the PH and the trackers are doing, this usually (not always!) fosters mutual goodwill. It also means helping out when help is obviously needed. The worst thing a client can do is sit in the truck when it's obvious that another pair of hands would help, whether it's hanging a bait, clearing the road, loading a heavy animal, whatever. I also believe the client will have a better safari if he becomes part of it, rather than just the trigger man.
Now, there is a fine line. You can't get in the way, and you certainly can't tell a PH how he should hunt or run his camp. But you can definitely state your preferences (politely!), and you should.
At least those are my thoughts.
Cheers, Craig

Spot on!!

It seems with some PH's it's who pays the most to what service you get.

If you never make a career choice based on money, you'll always have money - Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 43 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm always very happy when a client tells me his expectations etc and I'll always try my best to fulfill them. With cat hunts, I always think they get a lot more fun out of the experience if they take part in and make suggestions in/for the baiting process etc. It is after all, their hunt. Smiler

With trophy expectations, it's better they make their needs known as early as possible in the booking process so that the safari company can make the best choice of area before the hunt takes place........ if for example, the client waits until he arrives and then tells the PH he only wants top 10 animals, it might be a problem as the area he's in might not be able to supply that. - Don't think that doesn't happen occasionally!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go with Steve and Craig. Tell me up front what you expect. Sometimes I'll laugh at you - like the client who's opening words were 'remember, fat men don't like to walk...' and we were hunting elephant where...( he walked Big Grin)) but I want you to have as good a hunt as possible without beding the rules or compromising on ethical issues. That gives me repeat buisness, free advertising to your mates and ...oh yes, a decent tip Wink

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
But sometimes you have to tell the PH what's what because he doesn't know!! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the first day we put everything away, talked about shot placement, sighted in the rifles and went for a drive around the farm. Back for sundowners where we talked about what we wanted to hunt and which animals were a priority.

I was on a 3 X 1(sometimes 2) hunt. I helped load just about everything put the small stuff.

I got into the icechest first one day at lunch time. You should have seen the look on the trackers face when I handed him something ahead of myself! He was shocked!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice so far. I will add that there is nothing wrong with bouncing your ideas on how to do the stalk off your PH. But give it as a suggestion and not an order. If you see something you think is not quite right let the PH know but do it with tact. On a couple of occasions I have refused to shoot when the PH said to. In one case he was standing and I was kneeling and he wanted me to shoot a cow buff at around 100 yards. He was 6-2" and could see the whole chest but from my kneeling position all I could see was the cow"s head. Too far for that shot for me. In another case the PH wanted me to shoot a tuskless cow at about 20 yards and I again refused because her teats looked like she was suckling. He said no that if there was a calf present, it would be with the cow. The caw was standing in knee high grass and after a few minutes this tiny trunk came up out of the grass. My not shooting saved him from a very tough situation with Parks.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As others have said please do become engaged in the whole process and you'll have a more enriched overall experience. Also remember this is your safari. If something seems odd or is a problem just ask about it. Don't ruin your safari by sitting around grinding on it. I've had clients convince themselves that there was some sort of conspiracy in the works to deceive them when in reality if they had just opened up the comunication with the PH they would have understood that everything was done for good reason. PH's are not mind readers and they may have no idea that you have a problem if you do not mention it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
My first safari was in 1982. It was a 2x1 hunt and I was paired with a idiot. He kept telling the PH that we would do better if we hunted from tree stands like he was used to doing at home in PA. To shut him up the PH built tree stands and he was happy, but not sucessful, for the remainder of the trip to sit in a tree. I was quite pleased because now I had a 1x1 hunt and away from this fool.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here are a few things I gathered from talking to both clients and PHs.

PHs peeves.

1. Client arrives with a rifle he is not familiar with. "My gunsmith installed the scope and sighted in for me, I don't need tp shot at a target. It os ready for the hunt"

2. Client bringing a rifle he is not capable of shooting well.

3. Client arrives with one box of ammo. He is on a lion and buffalo hunt. So bait has to be shot.

4. Client is unfit enough to follow the animals.

5. Cliend arrives with a "shopping list" of animals and sizes that he will accept. One inch less and it is no good.

6. Client over shoots his quota, with a promise of sending the money after he gets home, and then never heard of again.

7. Clients who get drunk every evening, so they are unfit to hunt the next day.

Clients' peeves.

1. Arriving at the airport and finding their gun permit is not ready.

2. Arriving at the hunting camp and finding that their hunt permit is not ready.

3. Taken to an area which does not have the animals he has asked for.

4. Taken to an area which known to have been shot out.

5. The PH they have agreed to hunt with is not available, so a second, mostly incompetent, is provided as replacement.

6. Not having decent feed at camp.

7. Getting things stolen from them at the camp.

So both client and PH should avoid the above, and teh stage would be set for a great time to be had by all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67045 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the main issues I cover when talking to a prospective PH is the backup issue. I politely state that I am high maintence on one issue and that is I must be allowed the oportunity to fail for this to be an adventure for me. They then ask what the hell I am talking about and I go on to explain that I do not want backup shooting unless in the PHs opinion someone is very likely to be injured in the next 5 seconds.

A big part of what I am there for is to see the culmination of all the practice of shooting and the endless exercise of my body. Can I do it?

I know it is an unusual request because watching any hunting videos shows many "instant" backups.

Some Phs refuse. I have had 2 recently say no, that they always backup on buffalo. (Fortunately there are many good PHs in Zim to talk to). I thanked them for their honesty and professionalism then moved on. I have actually had more PHs agree to my terms than disagree so I do not feel out of bounds on this.

This may or may not be an issue for others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do PHs think about the client going along when following up wounded game?

On my hunt both the elephant and the buffalo ran out of sight after I shot. I went with the PH on the follow-up. As it turned out, both animals were fatally wounded, though he didn't know that at the time.

What about the PH shooting or not shooting at wounded game?

I was surprised that the PH didn't shoot at the elephant after I did. There was time as I got a second shot into its stern before it disappeared in the bush. Also, when we came up with the (wounded) buff, I shot with no apparent effect. Instead of shooting, the PH said "Shoot 'im again." I did and the buff fell over.

I kind of like the fact that I went along on the follow up, and also kind of like the fact that the PH didn't shoot my game.

On another occasion, we saw a buff about 30 yards away but behind a large shrub with many stems that looked to be about 1" in diameter. The PH said, "That's a good buffalo." I didn't shoot because of the shrub. Later, I asked him if he would have shot. He said yes he would have, but he never tried to get the client to take a shot that the client was not comfortable with taking.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I have only been on one safari, and fortunately it was very good. Some of the communication that made it successful and enjoyable was the outfitter, JJHack, sent a questionare before hand to learn about my expectations and adviced me to carefully look over and consider the "look" of the kudu I wanted and not just the size, the PH, Pieter Kriel, sent me a request for dietary needs before hand, the three days I had with Pieter Kriel at Kruger Park to get to know each other and get my first look at African animals.

These seem like simple things on paper, but by the time we started stalking I felt my expectations and limitations were understood.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good topic, with good responses.
The key to expectation is communication. If you don't talk to your PH how is he going to know what you expect. This should start before the plane takes off.
If you say "no backup" and the PH says "I always shoot" - problem. If you say, "40 inch buffalo" and he says, "38 is about tops" - problem. You can solve these before you get there. Don't be suprized and disappointed. Know what to expect.
Personalities sometimes don't interact well. This is a tough one, but communication before hand might help, but usually you don't really get to understand someone until you spend days riding, walking and hunting with them. Sometimes you need to just chill out and make the best of it, you'll be much happier than letting someones little quirks wear on you.
Hunting methods should absolutly be discussed before hand. I like to be ridden hard and put away wet. I like feeling like I've worked that day, regardless of the method. Some people like a few hours of riding around in the morning, lunch at camp, 3 hour nap and them a couple hour ride in the evening, never wanting to get out of the truck to shoot. I've got no problem with that if the client wants it, it's his/her safari and there are lots of PH's that would gladly provide that hunt - just communicate this before hand.
My first African experience was a South Africa hunt. The first morning I got in the PH's truck and we drove out into a large field. He told me to gett in the back with his tracker, after 15 minutes we came on a large Black Springbok. The PH said shoot him. I started to get out of the truck and the Springbok ran away. The PH yelled "what the f**k are you doing" I told him I was getting down to shoot him. The PH told me to shoot from the truck, don't ever get out. I felt foolish as we drove a little further and came on this Springbok again. The PH said shoot, I shot and both the tracker and PH were jumping with joy. They said this was one of the largest Springbok ever taken. My pictures tell the tale, me sitting there with a scowl on my face and those guys grinning from ear to ear. Record book wise that's most likey the best animal I've ever taken on any of my safaris, but I can't embrace it. I talked to the PH after that and we never shot from the truck again. We drove to an area and them walked. He rode me long and hard each day and I was extremely happy with him. We never communicated before that hunt, but when we did talk, he gave me exactly what I wanted.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I have a suggestion for all those PH’s out there that will help with future goodwill between a client and their PH, and it’s free. I have hunted Africa twice and have had two absolutely fantastic PH’s, but, if there was any criticism I could level it would be that they would not readily volunteer the reasons for the methods that they were or weren’t using. I don’t think it was on purpose in any way or that they were keeping their methods secret, so maybe it is just the nature of this type of profession. I do know that I often felt like I was becoming a pest asking over and over again about what and why we were doing some aspect of the hunt.

Keep in mind that most of us who have managed to move up to the level of African hunting are already very experienced in our country of origin and want to become more that just a shooter, but a part of the strategy behind the hunt even if it’s just by being included in the PH’s mindset. I don’t know about the rest of you, but every hunt I have ever been on that was guided had me trying to learn enough to do the hunt myself, even if in my head I knew that I would never actually be doing this on my own. I at least wanted to learn enough to think that I could. It’s part of what makes us a hunter. In fact, some of the most personally rewarding hunts I’ve ever been on have been when a suggestion or plan that I came up with resulted in a successful outcome, even if the animal wasn’t the best trophy.

So maybe you PH’s can loosen up the “Strong Silent Type” image a bit and keep us in the loop a bit more. It will go a long way towards making our trip more memorable and keep us from pestering you with 1,000 questions.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice by all, whether it is for an African Safari or a week in Elk camp in Colorado.

Clients come in all sizes/forms/shapes and mind sets.

Some come into camp ill prepared mentally/physically and equipment wise.

PH's/Guide's/Outfitters come into camp after who knows how many days/weeks of dealing with the aforementioned clients.

There are no set standards for either.

Some clients are concerned with nothing but book trophies, others just want descent looking animals.

Some clients are Gung Ho, Bust Ass from can till can't, and want to know every move the professional is going to make or try to make to get a certain animal, some just want to ride out, pop something and head back to camp for a beer/cocktail/sun downer.

The Professional may have been in two or three consecutive camps, with the Gung Ho types and then get a camp of hunters that hunting is more or less peripheral to their being in Africa.

Or, vice-versa they have a few easy camps where the main thing the "Sport" is interested in is quick kills and lots of windshield/campfire time, and their next camp is one of the dawn to dusk, has to be a 41 inch Buffalo a 40 just will not do.

Communication is the biggest key, both pre-hunt and then when arriving at camp.

Too many folks get bitten by the Safari/Guided Big Game hunt bug and put their mind in neutral and their mouth in over drive and stop listening to answers or asking questions, they are just so caught up in the moment.

Not sure of anyone else's perspectives on life and such, but from my standpoint, ANY safari/guided hunt, whatever a person wants to call it, should be looked upon as the Hunt Of A Lifetime, because none of us are guaranteed that next hunt, whether we are the client, the Professional, or one of the camp staff.

Opening and keeping open a good line of communication among everyone involved in the undertaking is the most important aspect of making a hunt good or bad. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another client's peeve: Don't talk in your foreign tongue around the client unless it's absolutely necessary, and never back in camp around your client with other camp staff members, other PHs etc. That's a good way to turn your client off and to get them thinking that you've either got something to hide or some non-complimentary item to discuss.

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Good communication between a client and his PH is paramount - right from the initial stages of making the booking through to the end. This is the only way for the client to know what he/she can expect on a hunt and the PH will know what he is expected to deliver.

Most importantly; whenever something does come up that the client is unhappy about / uncomfortable with the client should immediately voice this. This way the PH have an opportunity to make things right or at least try to..

I think there's nothing worse than greeting a client on his way home - thinking that he is a happy customer - just to hear later that he/she was unhappy about this or that... And now I am not referring to the thread that this discussion originated from - I am talking in general.

Surely it is every businessman (Outfitter/PH)'s dream to provide satisfactory service / goods to his clients as this is the only way to get repeat business / more bookings/ referrals etc. so I don't think that anyone will deliver a product/service/goods of inferior quality on purpose...

Talking about communication...

I think one of the most dreaded phrases a PH can hear when he points out an animal to a client during a hunt is: "Is it a good one?" or "How big is it?" This is not necessarily about the PH being unsure about the trophy size of the animal in front of him...But if he knows what the expectations of a client are trophy size-wise he will not tell a client to shoot at something he doesn’t believe is shootable. Questions like these at a critical time during the hunt could result in either the PH or client wavering....

Again: the client should make his/her expectations clear from the outset. E.g. the phrase: "I'm not a trophy hunter so size does not matter to me" is one that is often used - especially by first time African hunters. This is usually followed with: "As long as the animal is a mature good representative and you tell me to shoot it I'll be happy with it."

Well, that's great and could take a lot of pressure off a PH in terms of finding the right animal for the client... IF the client means it.
But if a client had different expectations he may end up with animals that are mature but don't make it into the record books.

The long and short of things are that communication is one of the most important items in planning your safari. So please make your expectations clear so that we all know where we stand.

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some things that I have learned from two African safaris. Communication from the very beginning is very important and I must say critical. You must know what animals you wish to hunt and know something about them so that you can ask questions on how and where the hunt will take place and what hunting methods are used. You cannot ask too many questions but certainly can not ask enough, so have some idea of what you need to know before your first and last conversations to booking a hunt. Find out the distances you need to shoot and practice at those distances - you cannot train enough for your hunt ! The better prepared you are the better your hunt will be and more rewarding as well. Never book with thoroughly speaking to as many refrences as possible. Be as fit as you can be, don,t think you can keep up with a PH if you sit around and do nothing most of the time, they will try to fit the hunt to you but the animal will do what it needs to to surviveand you need to be fit as possible.
Always ask the following questions:
Where will the hunt for EACH animal take place?
What are the acoomodations like?
What persons do you have as refrences?
What are all fees and costs?
How is payment expected and when ?
Are there any helth concerns in the area I will be hunting?
Remeber you cannot ask too many question. If you ask enough and get the answers you need and refrences give good grades relax and book the hunt then roll with it and enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To add to my above :
Make sure that you tell the PH what you are expecting - this is imortant , if he cannot provide what you need then you should keep looking.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Another client's peeve: Don't talk in your foreign tongue around the client unless it's absolutely necessary, and never back in camp around your client with other camp staff members, other PHs etc. That's a good way to turn your client off and to get them thinking that you've either got something to hide or some non-complimentary item to discuss.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
+1

Good info so far guys!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed's list covers most, if not all, bases in terms of what should be said/ expected in terms of the client as well as the PH/guide.
Abide by those and little can go wrong.

Good info from all.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good. The issue of "backup shots by PH" probably deserves comment, especially for the guys who haven't been yet. IMHO "absolutes" are terrible. It is just as bad for the client to say, "No matter what, you may not shoot at my animal" as it is for the PH to say, "It's your animal, I will not shoot (unless it's charging)." Look, in my experience it has been rare for a PH to shoot, and even more rare when it proves to have been needed--but I don't have any ego about this because a wounded and lost animal is far worse (unethical, immoral, fattening, and expensive). Some first-time hunters, like on buffalo and elephant, specifically tell their PH to back them up. This is not altogether unwise, but is perhaps unnecessary. By the same token, some PHs customarily shoot, which is also not altogether unwise, but is even more unnecessary. I would prefer that my PH not shoot--but I would rather him shoot than risk a wounded and lost animal. Or, worse, a charge that might endanger the party. (NOTE: When following a wounded animal it isn't just about YOU. The unarmed trackers assume the greatest risk.) I think the best course is to hire a good PH (based on references), and then tell him to use his judgment: "I would prefer that you not shoot, but please shoot if you think you should, we'll talk about it later." There are good PHs who believe it is the client's animal, and unless there is clear and present danger they should not shoot. We have a video of an apparent shoulder shot, then the buffalo runs past at close range, no additional shots fired. The videographer even says, on the tape, "Isn't somebody gonna shoot that thing again?" That buffalo was never seen again. On the other hand, there are some PH's who always shoot, and even contrive situations so that they may shoot. IHMO (again), neither is correct. The PH should shoot if there is a chance of the animal escaping, and he has a clear shot--but if the client practices backing up his own shot, there should be no need.
BTW, it has been many years since anybody fired a backup shot on one of my buffalo (but it may happen on the next one). Elephant, well, that's another story . . .
Sorry for length, writers get paid by the word (not here, but it's a bad habit). Cheer, C

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

I've never let this worry me. In regard to the use of Afrikannes, (it being the lingua franca of South African hunting) I have always enjoyed listening to it. I have been lucky in having two P/H's prepared to 'let me know' what has been said or asked those present to please speak in english. (Thx Andrew McLaren and Chris troskie beer).

...otherwise I let my shooting and observation skills speak for me.

The best advice I was ever given was by NitroX. Explain in crystal clear terms exactly what you want and expect before you leave home, even down to the smallest detail. You are paying the bills.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Here are a few things I gathered from talking to both clients and PHs.

PHs peeves.

1. Client arrives with a rifle he is not familiar with. "My gunsmith installed the scope and sighted in for me, I don't need tp shot at a target. It os ready for the hunt"

2. Client bringing a rifle he is not capable of shooting well.

3. Client arrives with one box of ammo. He is on a lion and buffalo hunt. So bait has to be shot.

4. Client is unfit enough to follow the animals.

5. Cliend arrives with a "shopping list" of animals and sizes that he will accept. One inch less and it is no good.

6. Client over shoots his quota, with a promise of sending the money after he gets home, and then never heard of again.

7. Clients who get drunk every evening, so they are unfit to hunt the next day.

Clients' peeves.

1. Arriving at the airport and finding their gun permit is not ready.

2. Arriving at the hunting camp and finding that their hunt permit is not ready.

3. Taken to an area which does not have the animals he has asked for.

4. Taken to an area which known to have been shot out.

5. The PH they have agreed to hunt with is not available, so a second, mostly incompetent, is provided as replacement.

6. Not having decent feed at camp.

7. Getting things stolen from them at the camp.

So both client and PH should avoid the above, and teh stage would be set for a great time to be had by all.

Saeed's post illustrates that it is a TWO WAY thing.

Clients can mess up their own safaris just as easy, if not easier than the Outfitter.

Examples can be:

1. Unrealistic expectations of trophy size. If the client expects record book trophies only, expect to go back empty handed a lot of the time, or plan to hunt three times as long.

2. Same as above, but don't be a tape measure hunter. Your happiness is not determined by an inch difference based on a field estimation by the PH.

3. Some things are outside anyone's control. Ranting like a child about them is not going to help. I had a safari cut short because police and Warvets turned up after 3 days. I did expect a refund of the deposit, but did expect to pay for the 3 days hunting and any trophy fees for trophies recovered. The PH did his best to fix a ffffed situation and I didn't blame him for Mugabe's evil henchman stealing the PH's farm and home.

4. If you book something really cheap. You are probably buying something cheap.

5. Same with guarantees of success. Unless you are shooting a pet animal in a cage, steer clear of anyone promising a guaranteed result.

6. If you have something worth complaining about, discussing it while the hunt is on is when to mention it. When getting on a plane to go home is too late to do anything about it.

7. Sharing a hunt 2x1 with another client. Don't do it for a few hundred dollars unless you really like hunting and know the other client.

8. If you book with someone who says they can bend the rules, we'll do such and such so you don't need a permit, etc, it probably is a reflection of their ethics and also the clients (!) if you book with them. Wink

9. If you go with a positive attitude you have a higher chance of an enjoyable hunt.

I have had messed up hunts, stressed out PHs, unexpected things like live game capture ops happening on the property at the same time as my hunt etc. Discuss the problem, find a solution and move on. If subsequently solved if it messes up your enjoyment, you can only blame yourself.

As for my messed up hunts, I can say I still enjoyed every one of them. thumb

There are certainly shoddy and crooked outfitters out there whom will mess up a clients safari for them, but also clients whom mess up their own safaris.

JMOs.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Honesty Honesty.

That seems to be the bigest problem in this industry. As the client you should always ask questions and expect honest and straight answers , you pay you ask. As a Ph we expect that questions and we will have answers for you.

If a Ph don't listen you problable have booked with the wrong agent and the wrong outfitter.

But the golden rule after all questions asked and answered is . " Always trust your PH".
Mutual respect will always follow. Some things can kill you out here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at your safari as an evolving relationship throughout the 14, 17, 21 days or whatever---with your PH. I try to never go to sleep mad or questioning a decision made by my PH. If there's something that's eating away at you, throughout the course of the day, get it off your chest in the bush or at the dinner table with your PH.

It's like any new relationship. No matter how many times you've chatted on the phone or online, remember you and him are just starting to get to know each other, so at times there may be bumps in the road. At other times the chemistry is such, that both parties really gel.

The goal is always to have the best possible safari, as many posters above have said. And it's not always how you start out with the PH---what's most important is how you finish.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig B's take on back up shots by the PH are very reasonable. The one place I have asked for back up shots is on elephants in close cover. I ask the PH to lung/heart shoot an ele if my initial head shot doesn't at least knock the ele down. I may be able to get off a back up shot that kills it but why take the chance? In one case, a back up shot by my PH George Hallamore saved us from losing a wounded PAC bull.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything Craig B said about backup shots.Fortunately I've never had a PH that "automatically" takes a follow up shot. I wouldn't be happy with that, but twice I've had PH's shoot at buffalo after I hit them the first time, once to try and stop him and the other to try and anchor him.
I had absolutly no issue with the stopping shot being taken, he used good judgement. Poor marksmanship, but good judgement. He missed the bull at 15 yards completely. My shot didn't miss
The anchoring shot was ill advised on the PH's part. The animal was less than 20yds away lying down looking away. I saw him first, raised my 470, but the PH immediately stepped right up next to the muzzle (tight quarters), I lowered the rifle and he threw up and shot, missing completely. We never saw that bull again. I wouldn't have missed that shot. I was bummed, but understood he was trying to do what he thought was his job.
This topic is one that all experienced African hunters will face. As I said Craig's thoughts are spot on. You're a team out there, trackers, Ph, client, and everyone has a job. I help out with there jobs when I can, if I need a little help with my job (triggerman) I'm going to try and not get upset. That's not to say I want a PH doing my job.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
7. Sharing a hunt 2x1 with another client. Don't do it for a few hundred dollars unless you really like hunting and know the other client.

AMEN!! The relatively small savings isn't worth it unless you have plenty of time and are hunting with a spouse, child, or close friend.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never, ever run out of coffee!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
Never, ever run out of coffee!

I remember in Zimbabwe we had coffee from a tin that had "30% REAL COFFEE" written on it clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67045 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

AMEN!! The relatively small savings isn't worth it unless you have plenty of time and are hunting with a spouse, child, or close friend.

I hunted with my uncle 2x1 and had a great time. That said we always get a long and a lot of my reason for going on the trip was to go on safari with him while I had the chance. That said I would caution others as previously stated to be careful who you do it with. My choice had nothing to do with the money and everything to do with sharing the experience with a loved family member.

Brett

PS. Even if you do get along with them you are still halving your chances at game. You get the full experience with half the opportunity so to speak.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
And remember that not every possible situation will or even can be discussed beforehand, and that both sides should be flexible if that happens.

For example night hunting bushbuck. Apparently somewhat common in Limpopo. My outfitter had arranged such for me without knowing I might object to such. I had no idea that it was even a possibility. When hearing I had objections to spotlighting, he was reasonable and suggested something along the lines of give it a try, and if you feel uncomfortable with it you can stop. I did, but to this day I'm still conflicted about it.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I hunted with my uncle 2x1 and had a great time. That said we always get a long and a lot of my reason for going on the trip was to go on safari with him while I had the chance. That said I would caution others as previously stated to be careful who you do it with. My choice had nothing to do with the money and everything to do with sharing the experience with a loved family member.

Brett

PS. Even if you do get along with them you are still halving your chances at game. You get the full experience with half the opportunity so to speak.

Brett,

That is the right reason to do a 2x1 hunt. I just would not do it to save money and split the hunting time with a stranger. If either of us made a bad shot and tied up the crew all day tracking it would be very stressful.

On the other hand, I have friends that if every decided to go to Africa to hunt I would gladly go as an observer just to share in their experience. I know how I felt my first (and only so far) time in Africa and would love to share in their first time.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impi:
Honesty Honesty.

How true! thumb

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
When booking a hunt, other than arranging stuff my letter, fax and email, I like to chat to the outfitter and/or the PH I will be hunting with on the phone as well.

Emails are great but direct contact is better. Often you get a better feel for the people involved using a telephone conversation than email.

John H.