THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Probably The Unluckiest Hyena In The Selous!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probably The Unluckiest Hyena In The Selous!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We put up a congoni for lion, and left it one afternoon. The next morning, we drove over to have a look if any lion came to dinner.

When we got to about 300 yards from the bait tree, we saw this hyena standing in the grass looking back at us.

A 300 grain Walterhog bullet went through its heart, and we went to have a look at it.

-

-

-

-

-

First thing we noticed was the many wounds it had on its body. And as we turned it over, we found that it had one of its ears bitten off! Further inspection revealed that it also had one toe missing from one of its hind legs!

He might have survived all these mishaps, but today, his luck ran out.

[ 09-15-2003, 13:44: Message edited by: Saeed ]

Posts: 66994 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn they are ugly. Looks as if they were built from left over parts.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great Pics. Africa is not a forgiving place.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... what an ugly creature.

Their chosen niche and their "beauty" must be much of the reason they are so loved.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
By the looks of him, this was a mercy killing.

I've passed on several. Never could figure out what the hell I would do with the stinking thing after I had killed it.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Saeed

Nice pictures
You seem to like the members of the Savanna cleaning patrol [Big Grin]

I think that Hyeenas are pretty interesting since they are soo uggly and laughs is the same way as my brother [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Do you have any close up pictures on Walthers relatives?

/ JOHAN

Administrator
posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

This one is one of Walter's cousins, once removed [Big Grin]

Posts: 66994 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it must be tough to be a hyena by the looks of that one. Anybody know what the life expectancy of one of them is?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Saeed

Something is wrong with Walthers family pictures??

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
You would be suprised, a big Hyena makes a very nice Shoulder mount, if taken in June or July when they are still well furred! Harry ( Mims Reed) had one in his shop (HUNTERS HEADQUARTERS) that changed my mind about them. It was very nice, and was the result of a camp robber, shot by Harry's friend. He said, "well Hell, if I have to pay a trophy fee for that thing, I'm going to take it home!" the mount was a real attention getter on the wall of that gun shop! [Cool] I don't think I would mount the one Saeed shot, however! [Eek!]

[ 09-16-2003, 23:57: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
That hyena of Saeed's has a lot of "character". It is not a run of the mill trophy.