Find
Notify
Tools

Check this out!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
I don't know about you guys but I sometimes feel awkward walking through the Airport Terminals pulling a large gun case behind me. The strange looks you get from folks and things like that.

Also, gun cases make an easy target for pilferage by the baggage handlers. Of course, having a gun case that doesn't look like a gun case is one of the primary reasons for the popularity of the Tuff Pack gun case since it looks more like golf clubs.

Well, here is my answer built by Americase. For my trip in 3 weeks, I've chosen to go with 2 double rifles. A scoped 9.3x74R and a 577NE. However this would work with any take down model of rifle. I just picked up my gun case this afternoon and thought you guys like to have a look. I've placed my 10.5 Courtney Boot next to it to give an idea of the size but it still appears larger in the pictures than it really is. So, check it out:

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
That's nice

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Great case, Todd. Did you consider the TuffPak takedown case, and if so, what was the decision maker for you?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice case Todd. The only thing that gives me a little pause is the handle. Wondering how that will survive the ramp apes. I wonder if the fabric case could not have been done with fabric straps that went all the way around the case and were stitched to fabric case, sort of like duffle bag straps that come together to form a handle.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally concur with your logic and choice of case. I have a similar one I used for two doubles to Zim last year, and a slightly longer one that I used for a double and a M70 out of it's stock the year before.

I also have a thinner Americase for one double I used to Botswana in 2009. Spent an hour or so in the check-in line at Jo-berg that trip and helped a couple of teachers going on photo safari suffle their gear along. By the time they finally understood we were going on different kinds of safari, one of them said she never thought she would actually talk to a hunter. They both wished me luck when we were going separate ways leaving Maum airport a few hours later...

Regards,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Todd, will you post a photo and a short report when you get back? I would like to know how it did structurally and cosmetically.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,it is more the size of the case that throws people off of thinking it is a firearm-you are lucky a double rifle can break in two.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Nice case Todd. The only thing that gives me a little pause is the handle. Wondering how that will survive the ramp apes. I wonder if the fabric case could not have been done with fabric straps that went all the way around the case and were stitched to fabric case, sort of like duffle bag straps that come together to form a handle.

Good point mike. With it as small as it is, it would have been nice to also have a shoulder strap. That may be something they can add to it later if the main handle doesn't hold up. That handle is pretty beefy but you never know with the bag apes!!

Emory,

Interesting story isn't it. Not having the big gun case caused the folks to lower there prejudices against a hunter long enough that they probably learned something about the truth. BTW, did your guns travel safely in the case? Any issues with movement or impacts? It certainly seems to be sturdy and heavily built but I'd like to hear about your experience.

Tom,

You bet! I'll be glad to post a hunt report when I return. Everything seems to fit tightly in place, except the scope, with a few extra foam blocks to wedge into strategic places. Everything is also strapped into place as well.

The one issue is that with both rifles, it's a bit heavy to carry long term in the hand. I could have selected a wheeled version but then it would start looking like a rifle case again. I'm thinking I'll just put it on top of my wheeled duffle bag until dropping it off at the counter.

Shoots,

Yea, the size is really what disguises it. A couple of take down model bolt actions could work just as well.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Great case, Todd. Did you consider the TuffPak takedown case, and if so, what was the decision maker for you?

Mike,

I did look at the TuffPak takedown case. I think what really pushed me in this direction was the size. I think this one is quite a bit smaller than the TuffPak case. Also, the Americase factory is located about 45 minutes from my home and they offered to build it specifically to fit my guns. No flies on the TuffPak however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty nice!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Looks pretty nice!!!

Aaron,

I know you know this but that IS your old 577 in the top portion there!! Hope I can put it to good use!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I response to your question, my guns traveled safely on all three trips. I always fill the voids with socks, underware etc. to add protection, help prevent movement and balance my other loads.

In a two rifle mode the weight is well over 40 lbs. I made up a 1" nylon strap sling with loops on each end for an over the shoulder strap if I needed for long foot hauls. Testing that, I found turning the case so the handle faced down allowed the outside two catches to prevent the loops sliding towards the ends - never actually needed to use that strap in my travels. I always pack so I can carry everything myself in one lift if necessary (including up/down stairs); small day pack, small/medium duffle over the shoulder and gun case in one hand.

I don't recommend using your cloth cover on a long trip - had one damaged on a simple two connection trip to SD pheasant hunting. I "dirty up" my cases with a few straps of duct tape on the outside and use some of that tape to cover the catches after TSA final check. I also use several layers of duct tape over each corner for additional protection against drops. As I recall several cases have arrived with enough evidence of damage to the heavily taped corners to think that could have prevented actual damage to the case. Obviously the heavier loads with a two rifle load presents more risk (pardon the engineer input).

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Looks pretty nice!!!

Aaron,

I know you know this but that IS your old 577 in the top portion there!! Hope I can put it to good use!

I expect you'll probably shoot it better than I too!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Some nice looking toys in that case.
I took an Americase one year with my other double. The baggage apes were able to bust the structural integrity in one corner of the case but the rifle was never accessed or beat up in any way. Hope yours does better and that you have a great trip.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Thought the side of the case cover was going to say fragile glass.
Anyway don't forget the ammo.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Emory and Pago,

Good info there on traveling with this case. Good idea stuffing the voids with socks and things!

Mike,

Yeah, maybe I should have had something like "Drafting Supplies" embroidered onto it! Yep, I'm right on the 11 lbs limit with 40 rounds each gun! 7.75 lbs for two boxes of 577NE, which is probably WAY more than needed but should make for some entertaining shooting contests at the end of the trip.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Todd, nice lookin' case. I also want to see the "after" photos when you get back.

I hate traveling with rifles but would never hunt with a loaner unless absolutely necessary. The second best thing on a safari is getting your rifle case off the carousel! Will FedEx mine to Kodiak in October for a bear hunt so I don't have to deal with them. Still have to carry ammo, though.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
RAC,

Yep, looks like the return photos are going to be deciding factor here concerning if I went the proper direction or not! sofa

Hopefully all will work out. I'm going to take the advice of some of the guys here and beef up the corners with Duct Tape for padding as well as fill all the voids with socks and other items. I'm thinking if I can assure nothing moves inside, it should be good to go. Sure will be nice if it does work because this thing really doesn't look like a gun case at all.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
That case is heavy as lead. I had a Blaser double come in one of those. They are well built and hell-for-stout. I personally use a Pelican similar in size. I can take 2 doubles in it as well.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the loaded weight of the case?

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana91:
What is the loaded weight of the case?

The 577 is 12.5 lbs and the 9.3x74R with scope is 8.5. The case by itself is 17 lbs. So loaded, it totals 38 lbs.

The TuffPak 1050 is 18 lbs empty and the TuffPak Take Down model is 20 lbs empty. So it is just a bit lighter than the TuffPak options.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
That case is heavy as lead. I had a Blaser double come in one of those. They are well built and hell-for-stout. I personally use a Pelican similar in size. I can take 2 doubles in it as well.

I really considered the Pelican case as well. Almost ordered one on two separate occasions but the Americase guys convinced me they could build one specifically to fit my guns and make it smaller if I brought the guns into their shop.

The case seems sturdy and hell-for-stout as you said but it weighs just a bit less than the TuffPak. I'm not sure what the appropriate Pelican case weighs. Any idea what your's tips the scales at and what Pelican model did you go with?

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Thought the side of the case cover was going to say fragile glass .
Not a bad idea; might take that up on the sides of my case! Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been using one of these for quite awhile now. it's a 2 sided one that will hold 2 rifles. i put it in a hockey equipment bag & nobody even gives it a glance

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Todd
I just checked the weight on my case. It's a pound lighter. I guess the Americase was just heavy because of the Blaser.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote