Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like this double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is a Heym (sold in USA by NECG).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
It belongs in a museum not in the bush. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I prefer hunting rifles but I respet the artist work, that thing must have zillions of "man-hours" on it!!

In case of a charge I will be more worried of saving that rifle than myself!!! Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is magnificent! If British, it would probably four times the price. Buy it, use it and love it! thumb thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a beautiful rifle; I would love to own it, but I don't think I would ever take it hunting. I would be to worried about damaging it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle!!!

Right now, I would use any double rifle I could call my own. bawling

It would be hunted on anything and be my goto gun for whistle pigs or anything larger. After a couple of years it would look like my Mossberg pump! Lotza character!

No sense having a weapon just for looking at and worrying about.

However I wouldn't have it glassbeaded and Parkerized. But I would take the scope off it and trade it for a box or two of ammo. Big Grin

What caliber is it and how much do they want? It could even be a 45/70 for all I care.

Anyone want their H&H Royal sidelock broken in? Cool

This is why i'd take any low pressure, shootable double, even with shot out barrels and a brkoen stock. To own my dream rifle and to shoot it all the time would be orgasmic.

Thanks for the look 500G's. By the way, is that what it cost?

Thanks,

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I actually like it. But it is a work of art, not a user.

What's the two calibres?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is gawdy, overdone on the verge of Cadillac white trash.

I couldn't imagine that anyone would want something like that. I find it to be in very poor taste.

My tastes trend towards understated eligance and functional grace.

That thing is kind of like one of those low rider Mercedes sedans you see at the stop light blasting a thumping base tone, with a flashing neon license plate frame, wide gold chrome rims and slick wide tires, with the slogan "Touch of Class" etched into the rear window.

In otherwords it started as a fine and functional peice of machinery and was destroyed by the unwise application of too much bling!
thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very pretty. I would use it. Why wouldn't you? It is still a rifle. thumb

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I agree, not my type, but if some one willed it to me, I'ld hunt w/ it.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much it costs or what caliber. It is on NECG's website, so you could probably send them a $100K deposit and get one started. If I owned the gun I would use it. It seems remiss for all those man hours of effort to be wasted.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous gun. If I was going to spend that much money, I'd buy myself a different double and spend the rest in Africa.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
put a standard safety on it, and i like it!
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Gorgeous gun. If I was going to spend that much money, I'd buy myself a different double and spend the rest in Africa.

Fjjold

If you had that much money you could do both. Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
put a standard safety on it, and i like it!
jeffe

What's wrong with the safety. It isn't a cocking one. Or is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Heym, so it's a regular safety. But the button sticks up a little more than would be typical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with "Surestrike" - Uggh. that thing must have been commissioned by "Zigfield and Roy" to pop a cap in the damn'd tiger!!!

But, there's a gun for everybody - that one ain't for me!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that Liberacci´s gun? Or is it Sir Elton´s?

But to each his own jump!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is gawdy, overdone on the verge of Cadillac white trash.

Me too. I like my hunting rifles plain jane and very functional.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
From a practical standpoint, I'd say the scope needs moved forward about 3". The way it looks now, even the cushioned ocular lens of the scope would not prevent a scope-bite.

Kind of a neat looking rifle, but probably not very practical. However, to those who could entertain buying it, practicality is not an issue. It would be better to buy this rifle than some obscure art or other totally wasteful (to me) luxury.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, since its gawdy, overdone, a piece of crap, I'll take it and make do as best I can, somebody has to take the damn thing so let it be me!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This gun would look a lot better with a few scratches or notches cut in the stock. I'll take it. Those who would decline the offer of this weapon are letting their pride dominate any perception of reality.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am partial to Heym, right after Merkels and Searcys. It needs my initials carved into the buttstock with my own pocket knife.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not be afraid to hunt with it but think the receiver engraving overdone, don't care for that. Also do not like the safety or scope set up. Aside from the position(relief), I like rings. Nice work for all of that, pretty wood and F&F appear very good.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
500 grains, It may be the safari version of a pimp gun but yes I like it. Smiler I will volunter to test it out and report back here when I return. Leaving for Zim next friday. Wink

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those who would decline the offer of this weapon are letting their pride dominate any perception of reality.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Are you smoking bad hashesh over there in Cairo?

Nobody has implied or requested that this rifle is being "given" to anybody. The question was, do you like it, not would you take it!

Hell yes I'd take it and sell it for as much as that blinged out, gay, pimp wagon would bring. Then use the money to shoot some of the critters engraved on the reciever. Wink

I can only invision one of three types of people who'd spend their own money on that thing.

1. Redneck Texas oil "bidness" billionare, wife has big hair, lear jet has flames painted on the nose and tip tanks.

2. Hollywood asshole, nuff said.

3. President of the I.G.H.A (International Gay Hunters Association.)If I had to guess I'd bet there is such a person and he's already put a deposit down.
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
It sort of reminds me of the soft air gun my grandson has, let him have it to drag around at grandpas place and we'll see who wants it then. roflmao Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope is in the correct place. If you have never seen a scope on a Double it can be decieving. The front mount is ahead of the chamber, like any other rifle. Don't forget that with no magazine a double is quite a bit shorter in the action than a bolt.

As for the comments about it being a pimps gun, well, that just proves there will always be a market for Savage Bolt actions. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
No t to sound like Mike McIntosh, wave
but I am not a fan of overly engraved doubles. "Give me some simple, understated, but elegant scroll please..."

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Surestrike,
Whats with the repeated gay references, quit trying to convince us that your not gay and come out of the closet already! Does your wife know? Wink

Anyway I am one of those Texas boys you granola eating Colorado folk love to hate. I would like to say that your opinion is as valid as everyone else on this forum. But I would bet you are the type of person who buys generic at the store because the picture on the box is just needless "bling" Big Grin

That said, the rifle is wonderful, take it hunting get a few dings on it and some character, Viola now its a hunting rifle....

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey, understand what you're saying about the setback regarding guns without the "reciever", I have a couple of #1's and a couple of doubles. I'm a fair bit over 6' tall and that scope as installed, would eat my lunch, no doubt about it. Best thing in my eye would be to ditch the scopes anyway. And the cheekpiece too. Guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way is that I wouldn't be bashful about taking an Art Gun into the woods, I'd never order one up like that. The engraving on the breech end of the barrels and the gold rings are a nice touch, I'd have left it at that.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mickey1 ... scope is in roughly the right place.

I also agree with Ray. I'd give it a home just to make sure that the engraver doesn't feel unwanted. Wink

Probably not my usual taste. Don't have the kind of monies to afford that kind of adornment and would probably feel uncomfortable taking that much art into the field too often. I could get used to it though.

Not sure I ever caught the calibers of the barrel sets.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
Hey Surestrike,
Whats with the repeated gay references, quit trying to convince us that your not gay and come out of the closet already! Does your wife know? Wink

Silwane,

You silly savage...Didn't anyone tell you that the net's not a good place to cruise for dates?

It's ok your secret's safe here.. thumb

If you think that rifle is "wonderfull" maybe you oughta start thinking about some testosterone replacement therapy. That rifle is a pretty boy yuppie rig at best and a sissy boy rig in any case.

But we are all welcome to our opinons. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun would go nicely with a pair of Sir Elton´s sunglasses troll

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

I can only invision one of three types of people who'd spend their own money on that thing.

1. Redneck Texas oil "bidness" billionare, wife has big hair, lear jet has flames painted on the nose and tip tanks.

2. Hollywood asshole, nuff said.

3. President of the I.G.H.A (International Gay Hunters Association.)If I had to guess I'd bet there is such a person and he's already put a deposit down.
Big Grin

You think that Carmelo is going to buy this rifle? So it must be a 45-70 and a 444 Marlin. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
That top-lever is probably the ugliest I have ever seen! thumbdown

Guns like this one are IMO bought by people (not hunters) with too much money and no taste.

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at any quality gunmakers from Germany you will see many such engraved guns.
High relief engraving with lots of animals is their "deal". Part of Their hunting culture.
While they are Great works of the Engravers Art,
I prefer color cased hardened recievers with "British" scroll engraving.
Still I can appreciate the "work" that went into those rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, am appreciate of the skill and craftsmanship that obviously is involved. But it is overdone for my tastes.

Looks like somthing a Southside (Chicago) pimp would have: any individual piece of jewelry would be appreciated, but the accumulative gaudiness is a bit much.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Borealis Bob:

Looks like somthing a Southside (Chicago) pimp would have.

You guys are gonna make me cry. bawling