New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think is best?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If your going to hunt Buffalo , leopard and plainsgame and want the best all round bullet which one do you think is the best choice when using a 375?

Question:
If your going to hunt Buffalo , leopard and plainsgame and want the best all round bullet which one do you think is the best choice when using a 375?

Choices:
Barnes TSX
Trophy bonded Bear claws
Swift A frame
others

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Forest Walker:

I voted "OTHER" because the choice depends on what kind of rifle you intend useing it in!

In my case that would be a North Fork CPS be3casue it is safe to use ni a double rifle, even a very old pre 1st world war double!

If in a single barreled bolt rifle with a express weight barrel of modern steel, then the choice might change but would still be OTHER because I use 300 gr Nosler Partitions, or NF CPS in my bolt rifles for buffalo!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of using Barnes. I have never shot a buffalo but all that I have read is that they are tough and you need penetration. I would think with the tsx you wouldn't need a solid with the penetration a tsx gives you.

For the leopard and plains game a little softer bullet would be nice and possibly better but they will die just as good with a tsx I would think.
Just my 2 cents

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I voted TSX because I've shot all my African animals with a TSX or Barnes Banded solid to date. That includes all of the Big 4 plus Hippo. Cats and plains game included.

However, I'm in the process of testing and switching to the CEB Non-Cons and BBW#13's. I plan to hunt with the CEB's exclusively this fall for Tuskless and Buffalo. But for a conventional bullet, I think it's hard to beat the TSX. I'm also of the opinion that they are perfectly safe in all doubles as reflected in Michael458 and SRose's barrel strain tests reported on this forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 grain nosler-partition is perfect for that and Winchester sells them.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the NF CPS.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 300 grain TSX in a .375 H&H with complete satisfaction for all you have commented on and then some.

Not to say there are not some others out there that may work just as well for you, but the TSX has worked for me, and I don't see much reason to change.

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Let your rifle decide which of the three you mentioned it likes best. Mine loves TSX and the Cape Buffalo I shot did not like it. He died.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For an All Round Soft in a 375 H&H I would go with a 300gr North Fork SP, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, Swift A Frame or a Nosler Partition.

If hunting cape buff, hippo, or elephants I would want a good solid.

NFFP or Woodleigh solids have worked for me in several different calibres.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for trophy bonded bear claws because that is the only choice, with which, I have personal experience. I have no doubt that both Barnes and A Frames are up to the task.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted other. If I ever get the chance, I will be using CEB Raptors with the added tip for increased trajectory. The field reports of this bullet's effectiveness are unmatched.

posted Hide Post
I voted other because I have used Woodleigh protected points since their inception and will continue to do so as long as they are available. Never had a failure, never lost an animal when using them. They shoot way better than I am capable of.

Good luck is what's left of thorough preperation.

Posts: 21 | Location: Central West NSW, Australia | Registered: 10 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote, but am going for buffalo in eight weeks and was advised by my PH to use 300 swift A frames.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2648 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I didn't vote, but am going for buffalo in eight weeks and was advised by my PH to use 300 swift A frames.

Very sound advice! Good luck!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I voted for the Barnes.

I have used the original X for many years, and now use our own Walterhogs - which are similar to the Barnes.

We have shot literally hundreds of game animals with them, ranging from klipspringers to buffalo.

Never found anything wrong with them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would not use one bullet for both leopard and buff. The best solution is to take two rifles a deer rifle such as a 270, 06, 7mm or 30 mag along with a 375 to 416 bolt rifle. Take a big bore double for the buff instead of the 375-416 if you wish but realize that you will give up 50 to 60% of your potential shots if you do.

If you only want to take one rifle then from a 375 use a 240 to 260 grain bullet loaded fast for leopard or plains game and a 300 or 350 grain bullet for buff. Any of the brands listed above will work well for buff. The normal op for the PH will be to measure the distance from the blind to the bait and then have you resight your rifle for that exact distance. Since you will most likely have to resight anyway there isn't any down side to using different bullet weights.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any bullet that says north fork on the box Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love & recommend Trophy Bonded Bearclaw soft & sledgehammer solids. That's my vote...
I always examine with great interest any & all bullets retrieved from game taken. There's lots of good bullets nowadays, but I've been most impressed with trophy bonded.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
I absolutely love & recommend Trophy Bonded Bearclaw soft & sledgehammer solids. .

tu2

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I voted for the Barnes.

I have used the original X for many years, and now use our own Walterhogs - which are similar to the Barnes.

We have shot literally hundreds of game animals with them, ranging from klipspringers to buffalo.

Never found anything wrong with them.

NOW! there is a test of a bullet you can live by. I wouldn't use them in a double rifle unless they were modified slightly with very thin pressure rings, but in a bolt rifle you have the results of the bullet's dependability where game is concerend!

I don't think anyone I know can claim that many animals, form very small to very large, taken with one bullet in the field with complete sucess accross the board.

............................................................................ old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Trophy bonded bear claws and sledgehammer solids. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
There is no magic bullet. Any suggested will do just fine if YOU and YOUR RIFLE put it in the right spot.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"ddrhook" hit the nail on the head about the Northfork bullet, which is head and shoulders above the others. I also am amazed the outdoor writers never list them in their thousnds of pages of so called "expert" advice. I guess the other bullet makers put out the dollars to get their bullets praised. I have used them all over the West, Canada, Alaska and Africa. They always have the perfect mushroom and are more accurate than the others in my barrels and the solids are excellent. Good shooting

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote