2) Inflammtory
3) Incorrect with regards to elephant conservation
4) Slanderous towards sport hunters in general

Am I psychic or what?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did read the article. It was well written and not a challenging read. As expected, there was a negative approach to sport hunting, but it was very brief and not especially vitiolic. Many of the interviewees clearly are passionate about elephants and often tend to sometimes be a little over-the-top in their estimates of ele intelligence and emotional capabilities. Some of these folks are putting themselves at genuine risk in their efforts, so it is hard to be too critical of them.

I thought the article did a fine job of identifying the real threats to African ele, namely poaching, corruption, and Asia demand for ivory. I highly recommend that any AR reader who wants to broaden his knowledge of the topic take 15 minutes to take it in.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest threat to the African Elephant is lack of carrying capacity of ther land. Hence the necessary cropping and herd management that must take place to keep the numbers of elephant closer to what the land can sustain.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
it is hard to be too critical of them ...

No it isn't.

quote:
... the real threats to African ele, namely poaching, corruption, and Asia demand for ivory.

I haven't read the article and won't. From what you've said ... I've heard it all before. I expect that it's filled with lots of insightful remarks by scientists about elephant sentience, intelligence and so on, ... and that, combined with their passion, is probably the most effective (if subtle) method for stirring up anti-hunting sentiment.

As far as I'm concerned, controlled hunting is the best and most reliable (not to mention proven) form of management, which makes the scientists the real threat.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Highly emotional and completely guileless, elephants mourn their dead—and across Africa, they are grieving daily as demand from China’s “suddenly wealthy” has driven the price of ivory to $700 a pound or more. With tens of thousands of elephants being slaughtered each year for their tusks, raising the specter of an “extinction vortex,” Alex Shoumatoff travels from Kenya to Seattle to Guangzhou, China, to expose those who are guilty in the massacre—and recognize those who are determined to stop it.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
I haven't read the article and won't.......
As far as I'm concerned, controlled hunting is the best and most reliable (not to mention proven) form of management, which makes the scientists the real threat.

You are correct, along with controlled culling, but what does that do in itself to reduce habitat loss from human encroachment?

As far as I'm concerned, dogma is the real threat, so I will read the article and decide whether I agree with it or not afterwards...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We subscribe to Vanity Fair as well as Smithsonian in addition to a ton of other mags.

You guys can bury your heads in the sand or you can read the article and submit a rebuttal - Vanity Fair publishes more letters than just about any other mag.

The article had a brief mention of "rich trophy hunters willing to pay 10-60K..." (going off memory here as I read the story when it came out), but for the most part it was all about illegal trade.

I wrote a pro-lion hunting letter to the editor for Smithsonian that was published. Who wants to volunteer for VF?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote