Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Rogers Safari?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I was in the Roy Rogers museum in Branson Mo today and they had some rifles and African trophys on display. Elephant and Hippo tusks, Lepord, and Cape Buffallo. However they said nothing about if Roy had taken all of them or when he went. Does anybody here know anything about it?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
I was in the Roy Rogers museum in Branson Mo today and they had some rifles and African trophys on display. Elephant and Hippo tusks, Lepord, and Cape Buffallo. However they said nothing about if Roy had taken all of them or when he went. Does anybody here know anything about it?

I know he was an avid hunter and took many trips to Alaska including Polar Bear. He was good friends with the Klineburgers in Seattle and probably went to Africa many times.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Roy always believed that one of the best ways to get to know a person is to go hunting with them. His frequent hunting trips kept the Rogers family freezer filled with venison, pheasant, duck, wild boar, and bear meat. Over the years Roy traveled throughout the country, hunting a wide variety of game, went on two safaris to Africa, and returned from an Alaskan hunting trip with one of the largest Kodiak bears ever taken."

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
He hunted in Mozambique and Namibia.
He even shot a bushpig with a 44 magnum pistol in Mozambique.

It's in the book Great True Hunts published in the 1960s. I bought it on Ebay I have been looking for it for about 20 years.

I beleive he also hunted with either Voker Grellman or Jan Oleofse in Namibia. Not sure about that, I just know it was Namibia.

He used a Weatherby 300 crown grade.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Roy Rogers accompanied Roy Weatherby on a Kodiak bear hunt in 1957. Rifles included the first 460Wby prototype, built on a Brevex Mauser, although Weatherby killed his bear with a 300Wby.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the video tape he and his son made on safari.
Send me a pm.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a book entitled "Great True Hunts" that includes Roy's safari plus several other celebrity hunts. All stories appeared in True magazine at one time or another. You can find copies at ebay, Alibris and other used book dealers.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing his picture in a Weatherby catalog back in the 60's.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:
There is a book entitled "Great True Hunts" that includes Roy's safari plus several other celebrity hunts. All stories appeared in True magazine at one time or another. You can find copies at ebay, Alibris and other used book dealers.

Obviously your a poster and not a reader, look up about 4 post! hammering

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
I have the video tape he and his son made on safari.
Send me a pm.
Frank

Weatherby and son, or Rogers and son?

I have a video somewhere with Ed Weatherby and Craig Boddington on the new 416 Wby.

If there is a Roy Rogers hunting video I need a copy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The tape I have is called Man the Hunter

It prominently features Roy and Dusty promoting the hunting sports.
Others featured are a Who's Who from around the World.
The number listed to get a copy is
1800 295-Tape.
or contact
Man the Hunter, L.P. 14 Mountain View Drive Rutland, Vermont
05701 -3316

It is dated 1995 North American Outdoor Video.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't vouch for whether he took each mount himself, but I can vouch that he was an avid hunter. He was a friend of my grandfather's
(Ray Whitley, B-western movie star, author of
Back In the Saddle Again) and he and my grandfather were discussing details of producing a series of hunting films together when I was a teen. Decades before OLN.
For some reason the concept fell through the cracks. None-the-less, Roy hunted often and well.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:

Obviously your a poster and not a reader, look up about 4 post! hammering

How about a little tolerance, D99? The post you're referring to may not have been posted when DC300 posted. Depending on connection speed, bandwith, timing, etc. I've seen half a dozen posts go up before I could respond to a particular post.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I was privilidged to be the architect for the Roy Rogers museum here in Branson. While researching the project Roy's son Dusty told me the following story. It illustrates Roy as being one of the "real" movie stars that actually knew something about guns and hunting --

Roy was often required to attend parties set up by the movie studio. Typically these were at a stars home.

Present would be other movie stars, studio executives and investors. Roy would usually speak briefly to each guest then seek out any one of them that was a hunter and happily spend the rest of the party talking about hunting.

If there were no other hunters at the party Roy told Dusty that he would find his way into the staff area of the stars home and there he would often find a cook or a dishwasher that was a hunter, speak with them a while then slip out the side door of the kitchen and go home.

By the way, several of the rifles displayed in the museum have been on safari. If you are in the museum ask for Dusty and he will happily point them out. There are also a lot of trophies and guns that are not on display.

Both Roys son Dusty and Dusty's son Dustin are avid hunters and excellent shots. Dustin sometimes comes to my duck blind.

I have been talking to them recently about doing a safari together where we could take Roy's rifles back to Africa for one more fling.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
I was privilidged to be the architect for the Roy Rogers museum here in Branson. While researching the project Roy's son Dusty told me the following story. It illustrates Roy as being one of the "real" movie stars that actually knew something about guns and hunting --

Roy was often required to attend parties set up by the movie studio. Typically these were at a stars home.

Present would be other movie stars, studio executives and investors. Roy would usually speak briefly to each guest then seek out any one of them that was a hunter and happily spend the rest of the party talking about hunting.

If there were no other hunters at the party Roy told Dusty that he would find his way into the staff area of the stars home and there he would often find a cook or a dishwasher that was a hunter, speak with them a while then slip out the side door of the kitchen and go home.

By the way, several of the rifles displayed in the museum have been on safari. If you are in the museum ask for Dusty and he will happily point them out. There are also a lot of trophies and guns that are not on display.

Both Roys son Dusty and Dusty's son Dustin are avid hunters and excellent shots. Dustin sometimes comes to my duck blind.

I have been talking to them recently about doing a safari together where we could take Roy's rifles back to Africa for one more fling.

I was sad to see the museum move from California to Branson. I guess it's a better location in theory.

If there was any way you could make that Dustin and Dusty safari a possibility you should do it.

The maybe you could get an actor like Tom Selleck, Gerald McCraney, or Jamison Parker to get in on it. Maybe you should call Weatherbys and see if they are interested in getting in on it.

Just brain storming here.

I have a lot of hunting videos, including the Capstick ones, and some with folks like Craig Boddington, and the one with the Roosevelt rifle in Africa.

It would be fantastic to see that come to light.

Roys guns and family in Africa.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
D99
Thats a great idea. It's would make a good video or magazine story - with the right cast of characters.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info.

Palmer,
If you talk to some of the Rogers family you might mention that I suggested that they put a little more info with the hunting and shooting items in the museum. I would go back and pay the $13 again just for that! We usually make a Branson run 2 or 3 times a year. I really enjoyed the museum and plan on catching the show the next time around.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It illustrates Roy as being one of the "real" movie stars that actually knew something about guns and hunting

Palmer: What is a "real" movie star? I thought you either are one or aren't one?
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Obviously your a poster and not a reader, look up about 4 post!"

Obviously he is a contributor and not a follower. If from time to time contributions overlap I say get over it. I won't be censored into reading an entire thread prior to adding my contribution.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Odie; it took longer to type that post than to simply read the "double comment."

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote