THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Willits man indicted in killing of South African leopard/UPDATE SENTENCING
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Willits man indicted in killing of South African leopard/UPDATE SENTENCING
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/n...d-in-killing?sba=AAS

Willits man indicted in killing of South African leopard

PAUL PAYNE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | January 11, 2018, 8:01PM

| Updated 6 hours ago.

A Willits man accused of killing a protected leopard in South Africa in 2011 and illegally importing the hunting trophy to the United States was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

Adam Thatcher Lawrence, a 38-year-old real estate agent, faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted of killing the leopard without required permits and then secretly transporting the skin and skull to Mozambique, the spokesman said.

Lawrence is alleged to have traveled to South Africa in August 2011 and hunted and killed the leopard without permits. Leopards are protected under both the Endangered Species Act and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, an international treaty signed by the United States, South Africa and Mozambique, the spokesman said.

The indictment alleges Lawrence then took the leopard parts to Mozambique in May 2012 and falsely claimed to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that he had hunted and killed the leopard there.

He’s accused of then applying to the countries of Mozambique, South Africa and the United States to import the leopard remains to the United States, which he did in April 2013, the spokesman said.

On Thursday, a federal grand jury in Oakland indicted him on charges of importing wildlife contrary to law and mislabeling wildlife intended for importation. In addition to prison, he faces fines totaling $500,000.

He makes an initial court appearance Thursday.

Reached by phone Thursday, Lawrence declined to comment.

The prosecution is the result of a three-year investigation by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement.

You can reach Staff Writer Paul Payne at 707-568-5312 or paul.payne@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @ppayne.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an idiot.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
What an idiot.

If it’s true... Or are you willing to take what the government says in a prosecution at face value? You may want to talk with Cliven Bundy about that.

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I’d say Government says... Government does...
We have seen it before
I’d say innocent until proven guilty and even then I don’t always trust government as they can cook books like nobody else as they are the only ones with unlimited resources

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Talk about idiots. Our government has probably spent hundreds of thousands dollars prosecuting someone who may have broken the law for taking what amounts to vermin.
Glad to see our tax dollars being spent so wisely.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMZ:
quote:
What an idiot.

If it’s true... Or are you willing to take what the government says in a prosecution at face value? You may want to talk with Cliven Bundy about that.

Good point.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
What is the statute of limitations on such a heinous crime!!??

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.justice.gov/usao-n...hunting-trophy-south

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Northern District of California
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, January 11, 2018

Mendocino County Resident Indicted For Illegally Importing Leopard Hunting Trophy From South Africa
OAKLAND - A federal grand jury indicted Adam Thatcher Lawrence today with importing wildlife contrary to law and mislabeling wildlife intended for importation, announced Acting United States Attorney Alex G. Tse and United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement Region 8 Assistant Special Agent in Charge Daniel Crum.

According to the indictment, Lawrence, 38, of Willits, Calif., traveled to the Republic of South Africa in August 2011, where he hunted and killed a leopard. Leopards are a protected species under both the Endangered Species Act, 16 U.S.C. § 1531 et seq., and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, an international treaty to which the United States, South Africa, and Mozambique are signatories.

The indictment alleges Lawrence did not have the required permits to kill the leopard in South Africa, or to bring the leopard back into the United States. Lawrence allegedly secretly transported the leopard’s skin and skull into the Republic of Mozambique in May 2012 and thereafter falsely claimed to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that he had hunted and killed the leopard in Mozambique in 2012. Lawrence then allegedly applied for permit paperwork from Mozambique, South Africa, and the United States in order to import the leopard skin and skull into the United States; each document falsely stated that the leopard was killed in Mozambique. The indictment alleges that in April 2013, Lawrence imported the leopard parts into the United States based on his false statements. In sum, Lawrence was charged with one count of importing wildlife contrary to law, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 545 and 18 U.S.C. § 2(b), and one count of mislabeling wildlife intended for importation, in violation of 16 U.S.C. §§ 3372(d) and 18 U.S.C. § 2(b).

Lawrence is scheduled to make his initial appearance in federal court in Oakland on January 18, 2018.

An indictment merely alleges that crimes have been committed, and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If convicted, Lawrence faces a maximum sentence of twenty years’ imprisonment, and a fine of $250,000, plus restitution, for a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 545 and a maximum sentence of five years’ imprisonment, and a fine of $250,000, plus restitution, for a violation of 16 U.S.C. §§ 3372(d). However, any sentence following conviction would be imposed by the court after consideration of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the federal statute governing the imposition of a sentence, 18 U.S.C. § 3553.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Katherine Lloyd-Lovett is prosecuting the case with the assistance of Vanessa Quant. The prosecution is the result of a three-year investigation by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
20 years?
Gee, what a draconian punishment
Again, sometimes I wonder about our Justice in some cases

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it won't be against the law in California after the Republic of California secedes from the Union- which from my point of view can't happen soon enough, although it is second best solution- the first being for San Andreas to let loose and San Fran and points south to drop into the Pacific.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Isn't he also being charged for violating the Lacey act? Or maybe the report says that without spelling it out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd have thought all those charges would be related to the Lacey Act?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who was the outfitter? surely he hunted thru A outfitter

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Talk about idiots. Our government has probably spent hundreds of thousands dollars prosecuting someone who may have broken the law for taking what amounts to vermin.
Glad to see our tax dollars being spent so wisely.

If the guy is found guilty he deserves the punishment; I doubt he will get 20 years, but it is hard to say hunters contribute to conservation and then read a post like this. Just sayin'...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or maybe it was one of those freebie hunts; a weekend out in the sticks with a friend of a friend who has a ranch with one or more pestilential Leopards that needed taking care of and after the hunt the famous phrase: "we'll make a plan" on getting the skull and skin out. Wink

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

Or maybe it was one of those freebie hunts; a weekend out in the sticks with a friend of a friend who has a ranch with one or more pestilential Leopards that needed taking care of and after the hunt the famous phrase: "we'll make a plan" on getting the skull and skin out. Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Lacey Act is a really nasty piece of legislation to be hit with & this guy (and perhaps others) could well be in for some serious consequences.

Gibson guitars got hit for a USD300k fine a few years ago & several other companies & individuals have been prosecuted for all kinds of weird things including essential oils.

As Fulvio says, you can almost hear someone saying 'we'll make a plan'

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/n...d-endangered?sba=AAS

Willits man who killed endangered leopard pleads guilty

KEVIN MCCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | April 9, 2018, 9:51PM

Updated 1 hour ago.

A Willits man accused of killing a protected leopard in South Africa in 2011 and illegally importing the hunting trophy to the United States pleaded guilty to the crime in federal court in Oakland Monday.

Adam Thatcher Lawrence, a 38-year-old real estate agent, was indicted by a federal grand jury earlier this year, accused of killing the leopard without required permits and then secretly transporting the skin and skull to Mozambique, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Oakland said.

He faced to 25 years in prison if convicted.

Under a plea bargain struck with prosecutors, Lawrence agreed to plead guilty to one of the two charges – mislabeling wildlife intended for importation – in exchange for the steeper charge of importation being dropped.

Lawrence now faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 when he is sentenced June 25 by U.S. District Judge Haywood S. Gilliam.

As part of the deal, Lawrence also gave up gave up the leopard skin and skull he imported, the rifle he used to shoot the endangered animal and other items seized from his home, including a mounted mountain lion and skull, a carved hippopotamus tooth, whale bones and a harbor seal skin.

You can reach Staff Writer Kevin McCallum at 707-521-5207 or kevin.mccallum@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @srcitybeat.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://kymkemp.com/2018/04/09...ty-in-federal-court/

MENDOCINO COUNTY LEOPARD HUNTER PLEADS GUILTY IN FEDERAL COURT

April 9, 2018 Kym Kemp 17 comments

Press release from the Department of Justice:

Adam Thatcher Lawrence pleaded guilty in federal court in Oakland today to mislabeling wildlife intended for importation, announced Acting United States Attorney Alex G. Tse and United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement Region 8 Assistant Special Agent in Charge Daniel Crum. The plea was accepted by the Honorable Haywood S. Gilliam, U.S. District Judge.

In pleading guilty, Lawrence, 38, of Willits, Calif., admitted that, in August 2011, he traveled to the Republic of South Africa and hunted, shot, and killed a leopard in that country. Lawrence did not personally possess a permit to kill a leopard in South Africa at that time, nor did he possess a permit allowing him to export the leopard from South Africa. Lawrence further admitted that in May 2012, he returned to South Africa with the primary purpose of bringing the leopard out of that country and into the United States. The leopard’s skin and skull were secretly transported into the Republic of Mozambique concealed inside a spare tire.

Leopards are a protected species under both the Endangered Species Act, 16 U.S.C. § 1531 et seq., and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, an international treaty to which the United States, South Africa, and Mozambique are signatories. As a result, the import and export of leopards is strictly regulated.

Lawrence admitted that he falsely claimed he had killed the leopard in Mozambique. He acquired the permits required to export the leopard parts from Mozambique, import them into South Africa, re-export them from South Africa, and import them into the United States. In each of those documents, he falsely stated that he had killed the leopard in Mozambique in 2012, rather than South Africa in 2011. Further, in April 2013, he imported the leopard skin and skull into the United States. In connection with the importation, Lawrence knowingly submitted a United States Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife in which he falsely stated he killed the leopard in Mozambique in 2012.

A federal grand jury indicted Lawrence on January 11, 2018, charging him with one count of importing wildlife contrary to law, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 545, and one count of mislabeling wildlife intended for importation, in violation of 16 U.S.C. §§ 3372(d) and 3373(d)(3). Under the plea agreement, Lawrence pleaded guilty to the mislabeling count and the importing count will be dismissed. Also as part of the plea agreement, Lawrence agreed to forfeit his interest in the leopard skin and skull that he imported, as well as the hunting rifle that he used to kill the leopard. He also has agreed to forfeit other contraband seized from his home in October 2016, including a mountain lion mount and skull, a carved hippopotamus tooth, whale bones, and a harbor seal skin.

Lawrence is released on bond. Judge Gilliam scheduled Lawrence’s sentencing hearing for June 25, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. The maximum statutory penalty for a violation of 16 U.S.C. §§ 3372(d) and 3373(d)(3) is five years’ imprisonment and a fine of $250,000 plus restitution, if appropriate. However, any sentence will be imposed by the court only after consideration of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the federal statute governing the imposition of a sentence, 18 U.S.C. § 3553.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Katherine Lloyd-Lovett is prosecuting the case with the assistance of Vanessa Quant. The prosecution is the result of an investigation by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And folks around here lost their noodle over Walter Palmer. 2020

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can probably murder someone in Quebec and not get more that 5yrs.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How stupid can this guy be? he has wrecked his life over something this stupid.

It would be interesting to know how he got caught.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
You can probably murder someone in Quebec and not get more that 5yrs.

Really? After we tossed Rich IdahoSharpshooter off AR, he may be looking for you....

I hope you did not piss him off...

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most likely the same way many are caught - someone with a conscience talked.

The important part of the story we are not getting is some operator in SA is complicit along with folks in Mozambique. Adam didn't do this on his own...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

The important part of the story we are not getting is some operator in SA is complicit along with folks in Mozambique. Adam didn't do this on his own...

I'd like to know who he hunted with in RSA and what Mozambique outfitter signed in paperwork from there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect Opus is right.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

100% right.

Someone promised a payment under the table did not get what he wanted??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
When you go to Federal Court with a Lacey Act violation it is going to cost you some serious coin. A Commercial Waterfowl Guide got a Lacey Act fine for shooting two ducks over his limit. Reason being was because it involved an exchange of money for federally protected animals. He knowingly allowed his clients to kill over their limit which led to a violation of the Lacey Act as well as a $40,000 fine!

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

100% right.

Someone promised a payment under the table did not get what he wanted??

Or raised the amount he wanted.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find it amazing that people do not consider the risk/reward of actions like this. Incredibly stupid. Wreck your life for a leopard skin & skull. There is not a hunting or fishing trophy out there worth turning your life upside down over.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd bet he was bragging about how he outsmarted the government and got his leopard home.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I once worked with a guy who used to guide photo safaris in SA & he offered to introduce me to friends for local rates hunting. He had family working on a game ranch.

This was about 15 years ago & According to him one could shoot Wart Hog for about $10 and most other PG for $50 to $300. I think a big Kudu was maximun $400 in 2004.

He said I could shoot leopard and cheetah for free, take photos and forget about it. They would dig a hole and burn / bury it.

I think this was in Limpopo province.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

I find it amazing that people do not consider the risk/reward of actions like this. Incredibly stupid. Wreck your life for a leopard skin & skull. There is not a hunting or fishing trophy out there worth turning your life upside down over.

Absolutely correct.

I shot a large elephant in the 90’s that was totally legal. It did not get sent to me. Long story. I know exactly where the tusks are. The PH wants me to pull this stunt to get them in the US. It took me about a millisecond to say no way in hell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know who the outfitter was on this? Surely, this guy didn't act alone. It would be my guess that it was the outfitters idea. I have to wonder why he isn't being prosecuted in his own country.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know who the outfitter was on this? Surely, this guy didn't act alone. It would be my guess that it was the outfitters idea. I have to wonder why he isn't being prosecuted in his own country.

He may well face prosecution in his own country but penalties are unlikely to be as severe as the Lacey Act ones & the case probably won't hit the headlines in the same way.

That said, I get an idea he could be arrested & prosecuted under the L/A if he enters the US at any point.............. I have a vague recollection of a SA outfitter being arrested when he entered the US (for the convention season) for a similar thing some years ago?

I could easily be wrong on that though.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

He may well face prosecution in his own country but penalties are unlikely to be as severe as the Lacey Act ones & the case probably won't hit the headlines in the same way.

That said, I get an idea he could be arrested & prosecuted under the L/A if he enters the US at any point.............. I have a vague recollection of a SA outfitter being arrested when he entered the US (for the convention season) for a similar thing some years ago?

I think it was leopard on that occasion too.

I would love to see some of the South African PHs who supply Inner Circle trophies on demand get arrested in the US.

I have no doubt they are brteaking all sorts of laws to satisfy the cravings of the non hunter who only dream of being in the record book.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

You are not wrong.

There is no doubt of two things in my mind as it relates to this. He didn't act alone. This was insanely stupid.

I think his cohort should be made public. We should all steer clear.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are not wrong.

There is no doubt of two things in my mind as it relates to this. He didn't act alone. This was insanely stupid.

I think his cohort should be made public. We should all steer clear.

I agree absolutely & would suspect at least an outfitter, PH & taxidermist would probably have also been involved.

The whole lot of 'em must have screws loose to even consider it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=110105816#110105816

Link from 2007 regarding arrest at a convention.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2...-10k-fine-probation/

Link has photo, that is one big cat.

Super sorry’ California man who hunted endangered leopard gets $10k fine, probation
By NATE GARTRELL | ngartrell@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: July 3, 2018 at 10:48 am | UPDATED: July 3, 2018 at 2:35 pm

OAKLAND — A man who hunted an endangered South African leopard and smuggled it into California through an elaborate plan was ordered to pay a $10,000 fine and serve three years probation, according to federal court records.

Adam Thatcher Lawrence, 38, of Willits, hunted the leopard in 2011, then engaged in a sophisticated plan to get it into the United States, first sneaking it into Mozambique through a tire, paying for a permit to hunt leopards there, then lying to U.S. officials about where the creature had been hunted. He was caught after bragging about the incident to undercover agents in 2016, court records show.

“So we killed him, and I was like, you killed this (expletive) world-class leopard and you can’t get it home,” Lawrence told the undercover agents, according to court records. “Six months later, I went back and we took that hide to Mozambique and got a leopard permit in Mozambique. I had to pay for a leopard hunt in Mozambique and I never even (expletive) looked for a leopard.”

In January, after authorities searched his home, Lawrence was indicted on charges of illegally importing wildlife and mislabelling wildlife, and faced up to 25 years in prison. In April he pleaded guilty to the mislabelling charge as part of a plea deal with federal prosecutors.

In a letter to the court, Lawrence wrote that during the trip, he and a friend had legally killed two “problem” leopards that were “devastating” livestock on a local ranch. His attorney wrote that the ban on hunting leopards was temporary. He admitted to carrying out the scheme to sneak the leopard into the United States.

“I feel a great deal of remorse and shame for doing this,” Lawrence wrote to the court. “This is the worst thing I have ever done and I am super sorry for my actions and not listening to my better judgment.”

Federal prosecutors offered no opinion on whether hunting the leopard was a violation of South African law, but simply pointed out that Lawrence lacked the permit to take it into the United States. The leopard, reportedly nicknamed “Bigfoot” due to its size, was discovered on a taxidermy mount when agents searched Lawrence’s home.

Lawrence was also ordered to forfeit the leopard’s skull and skin, the rifle he used to kill it, as well as other taxidermy mounts and the ivory tooth of a hippopotamus, which prosecutors say Lawrence also bragged to undercover agents about smuggling into California.

He told agents after buying the tooth, “I was like, man, if I get caught smuggling it, I’m screwed. But, I was like, I gotta try it.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552