THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Corbyn 'disgusted' at Arsenal owner over hunting TV channel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corbyn 'disgusted' at Arsenal owner over hunting TV channel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017...-hunting-tv-channel/

Corbyn 'disgusted' at Arsenal owner over hunting TV channel

Jeremy Corbyn has accused the Arsenal owner, Stan Kroenke, of glorifying blood sports by launching a subscription hunting channel.

The Labour leader, who is a keen supporter of the Premier League club based in his Islington North constituency in north London, said the American billionaire should concentrate on football after the unveiling of his new My Outdoor TV channel, which will show the killing of lions, elephants and other potentially endangered species.

The channel, which was launched at the Game Fair in Hertfordshire, is owned by Outdoor Sportsman Group, part of Kroenke Sport Entertainment.

It promises to show “thousands of hunting, fishing and shooting episodes featuring the biggest names in outdoor TV ... how-to videos and even wild game recipes”.

One of the programmes, Dark Continent Quest, follows renowned hunter Jana Waller, who is seen stalking game with a bow and arrow. The channel has insisted it will only show hunts that are “ethical and fair chase”.

Corbyn said he was “appalled at the glorification of killing wild and rare animals on this TV channel”.

“As an Arsenal fan I’m disgusted that Stan Kroenke is involved in such a brutal, unethical and unnecessary activity. This is not sport. Kroenke should stick to football if he wants to be involved in sport. ‘Blood sport’ is a contradiction and there should be no place on television or anywhere else for it,” the Labour leader said.

Trophy hunting has come under increasing public scrutiny, with American dentist Walter Palmer the target of a online hate campaign after it was revealed he had shot and killed a protected lion called Cecil, who was being tracked as part of a study by Oxford University.

Donald Trump’s sons Donald Jr and Eric Trump also attracted worldwide criticism for posing with a leopard they shot on a hunting trip to Africa.

Philippa King, the chief operating officer of the League Against Cruel Sports, called the launch of the channel a “massive own goal” for Kroenke and the club.

“We’re living in a world now where most people can see how brutal and shameful trophy hunting is, yet the Arsenal boss is choosing to launch his sick TV channel in the UK,” she said.

“The channel claims to show ‘ethical, fair chase and legal’ hunting. Most people won’t agree that trophy hunting is in any way ethical, and studies have debunked claims that most of the blood money goes towards supporting conservation. I’m not sure in what way an idiot with a gun against an elephant is a fair chase.

“Mr Kroenke could do the world a great favour by stopping peddling this kind of sickening TV and turning his focus on helping the animals he apparently likes to see killed.”

When contacted by the Guardian, Arsenal FC indicated the channel’s launch was a matter for Kroenke Sports & Entertainment.

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article was written by Jessica Elgot Political reporter, for The Guardian on Tuesday 1st August 2017 09.48 Europe/London

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/s...-owner-a7872826.html

This link has video and article.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.u...cott_b_17647568.html

Let’s Boycott Arsenal And Show Stan Kroenke We Are Not A Nation That Supports Killing Animals For Fun

01/08/2017 17:06

Ben Fogle
Broadcaster, adventurer, presenter, author and traveller

My Outdoor TV (MOTV) has just launched in the U.K. in a flurry of blood, guns and controversy. The channel owned by Stan Kroenke (the billionaire, 67% shareholder in Arsenal football club) has a selection of ‘outdoor’ shows like Tracks Across Africa, in which professional hunters shoot elephants, Skull Bound, which follows a female huntress who shoots animals with a bow and arrow, and Miss Wildgame, the first hardcore hunting competition to put huntresses head-to-head.

I have spent more than 20 years following conservation efforts around the world. I have been part of relocation programmes across Africa and the Far East and last year I followed the extraordinary migration of the wildebeest across the Serengeti of Tanzania into the Kenyan Mara.

The project explored our complex relationship with wildlife including poaching and big game hunting. Animal management (read: culling) is a painful but necessary part of conservation. Most wildlife charities will agree that human intervention is now necessary to control populations and ensure wild animals don’t starve or die of thirst in the last remaining tracts of wilderness.

Poaching as we know is a huge problem across the world fanned by the trade in ivory, animal skins, rhino horn and live exotic animals. It has reach a critical level.

There is an argument that big game hunting is a way of making money from the necessary cull of wild animals. Why not get some rich white guy to pay a huge sum of money to kill an animal that needs to be culled anyway? What’s more the money from the hunt can be ploughed back into conservation.

To be honest I don’t really believe it any more. It is true that large sums of money goes to the protection of the ‘conservation’ areas where hunting is allowed. Private armies are employed to keep the poachers away from the prized animals awaiting murder at the hands of a white hunter, but the residual effect on the preservation of animals is negligible. Some of some animals within the area might be protected but we are deluded if we think it really makes a difference.

I thought the killing of Cecil the Lion marked a watershed in our attitudes towards hunting, but only last week his son was killed by another hunter.

We are already getting mixed messages.

I lost any respect for Theresa May after she removed the ban on the ivory trade and pledged to reintroduced fox hunting in her manifesto. The Trump family have been pictured on big game hunts. Sarah Palin loves it. It’s an American thing but, a little like their love of guns, we don’t want it here.

Shooting animals for the entertainment of others crosses the line. Many of our North American neighbours have a very different approach to shooting and hunting. Blood thirsty and gun happy, they have a rather mercenary relationship with wildlife.

Television has the power to glamourise its subjects. Young impressionable people will be motivated by the sight of majestic animals being killed. They will be ‘radicalised’ into hunting.

Stan Kroenke, as the majority shareholder of Arsenal and the owner of MOTV, has a responsibility. He may relish the murder of endangered wildlife himself but he should not peddle his disgusting programmes on a country that still prides itself as a nation of animal lovers.

As a billionaire philanthropist Kroenke should be putting money into conservation not making money from its destruction.

If we really care about this, I call upon the nation to hit him where it really hurts, our great sport of football. Let him know we aren’t a nation that supports the killing of animals for fun, endangered or not. Boycott Arsenal and Save the Elephant.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am always amused when a top dog career politician try to lecture me whats unethical or not... animal

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Someone should tell that bloody commie to shut up!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main problem with the UK is that WW1 and WW2 selectively altered the gene pool ....

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
The main problem with the UK is that WW1 and WW2 selectively altered the gene pool ....

Amen!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Funny, my good friend from Bitterroot flies Stan Kroenke around US and Europe

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
I've just started supporting Arsenal now...

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
I've just started supporting Arsenal now...

Yes indeed!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too go the "Gunners" Arsenals nickname!!!
Very appropriate indeed!!!

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so when is it on?? what channel?? Big Grin tu2

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It`s a streaming channel. Like netflix Smiler
MOTV

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We have that channel available on cable/satellite in the US.

LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

Profound.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

Yes, the gene pool seems to be getting pretty shallow in the male end.

Especially when you add to the war casualties the exodus of millions of men to all parts of the world (including to what are now the USA, Australia and Canada) over the centuries before that.

I'm afraid there's not much left over there in the way of balls, brains or bravado.

Once mighty Albion.

What a shame.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ig-game-hunting.html

Update on status of channel.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

Administrator
posted Hide Post
He caved in I understand.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone should tell that bloody commie to shut up!

[quote]The main problem with the UK is that WW1 and WW2 selectively altered the gene pool ....[quote]
tu2

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote