THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SELOUS WHICH BLOCK FOR GOOD CAPE BUFFALO
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SELOUS WHICH BLOCK FOR GOOD CAPE BUFFALO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which block in the selous for taking good cape buffalo i will be hunting the selous in september 2007......

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bwana, the Selous is something like 5 M acres in extent plus a further buffer zone...... there are no fences of any kind and absolutely no restriction to the natural movement of game. It's all free to move as the availability of grazing, browse and water dictate..... and to a very large extent, that's exactly how it moves. One concession may hunt its head off one year and the next year the game might be elsewhere. - it might be better to ask the forum what they know of the particular company you've booked with.

The biggest Buff herd I've ever seen in the Selous was well over a thousand - in fact, we stopped to film it. - The year after, (in the same area) although we got good Buff for all our clients, it wasn't easy and the biggest herd we saw was about 25 animals........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
Is there no area of the Selous that consistently take better Buff, I mean the habitat is not the same over the whole 5 million acres is it? What about water and predators wouldn't that be a factor? Looks like some areas would have more hunting pressure as well? It's hard to believe that some blocks are not better than others.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - The grass follows the rain and the Buff and other ruminants follow the grass and the predators follow the ruminants..... If you want a big Buffalo, then probably the best place to go is Masailand where there tends to be far fewer but bigger trophied Buff -For example, last year we took 3 on one hunt, all well over 40 inches..... If I were a smug git, I'd add that we took two of them in a few seconds and all three in two days..... Wink

Selous generally has a lot more Buff but trophies tend to be smaller - but it's not impossible to find big Buff there. More a case of time, effort and willingness to accept the risk that if you hold out for a real biggie on a 7 day hunt, you might go home without your trophy.

All that said, the size of the trophy is generally a lot more important to those who haven't hunted Buff than to those who have. - Once you've done it, you realise that the quality and experience of the hunt is a lot more important than the trophy size alone..... even if you shoot a small trophy in size, if you shoot it at close range in thick cover after a good hunt, it's the best trophy in the world and you'll always be proud of it......

As to areas that consistantly take better trophies - that's not really easy to answer. Some areas for example only allow 21 + day hunts -and as it's a longer hunt you have more time to be picky, plus of course fewer Buff get shot over the season - but not every hunter can afford a 21 day hunt.... So you can find yourself comparing apples to oranges.

For clients that only want a really big trophy I'd suggest they have a 10 day hunt on a 7 day licence in Masailand and go right at the end of the season and be willing to get wet if necessary....... Alternatively, and even better, book a longer hunt where you have the time to be picky......

Another factor of course, is that they be cautious of most of the buffer zones. These are generally a lot less expensive than Selous etc. - but most are not a patch on the Selous..... As with most things in life, you don't get what you don't pay for and you can't buy a Holland & Holland for the price of a Bruno.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting with pierre van tonder in the selous september 2007.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Then we'll probably be neighbours - and might even get to say hello to each other at some time. Pierre is a good man and a good PH - you'll be in good hands.......... Wink

<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Mike Jines and I are hunting with Usangu in the Selous in September as well. Our first hunting day will be Sept.1. Maybe our paths will cross.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Do you know which block?

It's always a pleasure to meet up with other AR members......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hunting Usangu as well in October. I believe we are hunting in LU4.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I thought they had that block...... any idea who your PH will be?........ I met a couple of their guys last year when I was in LU3........

posted
I think Mike and I are currently scheduled for LU1. It is also my understanding Usangu is looking at some other areas that haven't been hunted in some time and that we may end up there. I don't have a clue as to where.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Sherdell at the Convention in Reno but they wern't sure at that time who the PH would be.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One of the PHs I met was called Shega Vara - which when he said it quickly made me look twice! - but he seemed a nice guy and pretty capable..... can't remember they other guys name though. -

I'm sure you'll both have a good hunt and maybe we'll bump into each other somewhere along the line.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
TexasHunter and SDHall,

When Usangu was also TAWICO, they had blocks in the Selous. These concessions belonged to TAWICO.

TAWICO was sold recently and is under new Management. Thus Usangu remain with their original blocks which are Utengule Swamp GCA (Usangu G.R.), Usangu Open Area and Lwafi G.R. None of these are in the Selous but further West. The TAWICO blocks in the Selous are LU4, MA1 and U3. Block LU1 is allocated to Mwanauta and Company which means if you are hunting there with Usangu then they are sub-leasing from Mwanauta.

Please check with them and get confirmation. I understand the new TAWICO management will honor a few of USANGU's booking done prior to the sale BUT not all. Make sure you are on the list Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted
Thanks Bwanamich. I'm checking with Usangu to make certain.

posted
Bwanamich,

You are correct, Usangu has LU1 under lease. Usangu advises that I have the opportunity to either remain in the Selous or hunt a new concession in the Burigi Game Reserve that hasn't been hunted in many years. It is on Lake Burigi. Usangu has just finished scouting the area and the reports are very good. Do you have knowledge of this area?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I hunted there a few times in about 2002 or 03 - so it's hardly been closed for many years Confused..... maybe a few. The scenery is truly spectacular but not as easy going as the Selous - It must have been an absolute paradise before the refugees from Rwanda went through in 96. but by the time I hunted it, the area was good but had no-where near the game populations of the Selous. We got good Buff on all our hunts but had to climb the mountains to do so. What happened then, was that when the area was dry the game all stayed up in the mountains - so you had to go look for them. As soon as the rains came, they all moved down to the valley bottoms. There's an immense fever tree forest there that has been devestated by elephants...... The area is/was esp good for roan and sitatunga if you have the appropriate licence. Also lots of Elephant - but we didn't actually see any shootable bulls.

The area also has or at least had, some problems with Rwandans coming into the area illegally to graze their cattle and poach. One drawback to the area is access - you'll need to get a commercial flight from Dar to Mwanza and then charter across the corner of lake Victoria. Alternatively it's a longer charter from Dar.... either way, it's more expensive.

If you overnight in Mwanza and you probably will, the only hotel is the Tilapia - It's OK, but nothing to write home about. Incidentally the road from the airport into town is the worst I've ever seen anywhere in Africa. The UN have twice paid for it to be tarred, but it hadn't actually been done and I doubt is has even now. Eeker ....... If you're a fisherman, there are a couple of guys in Mwanza who have small operations there for mostly the Nile Perch...

I note you called it a "Game Reserve" - I haven't checked my register but I thought it was a GCA (Game control Area)and not a GR..... maybe, they changed that though......

You might like to try to get hold of the video titled "The Cape Buffalo" made by Poul Erik Madsen with Rainer Joesch as the PH and marketed by Hunters Video. That was filmed in the Burigi but in pre refugee days.

Hows that for a quick thumbnail sketch!

Maybe BwanaMich can give you more up to date news.......

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I have that video !! I bought it from Cabelas a few years ago, great video and very good bulls.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted
Thanks Steve. I just did an online search and found comments about refugees and poaching that square with your report. I'll be interested in hearing from other knowledgeable AR members on this one. I'm not sure I'm too keen on being on the borders with Uganda,Rwanda and Burundi. Could end up camp meat!

The good news is I can choose to remain in the Selous, LU1 if I want.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you're on a 7 day licence or longer - but if you're on a 7 day one, then I'd suggest the Selous as your best option. I didn't see much of LU1 but assume it's similar to LU3 - in which case, it's a lot more mountainous than most of the Selous. - So I'd advise you pack a pair of boots with nice grippy soles. Wink

It (Burigi) is a spectacularly beautiful area though....

posted
Steve, we're on a 16 day license but only plan to hunt ten days. At the top of our list is buffalo. After that it is crocs, plains game, and the small cats if I get a chance.

Re: Burigi; Do you think the areas is risky due to it's proximity to less stable countries and refugees?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Flatdogs will be difficult as Lake Burigi is too saline for them...... doubt you'll get one in that area.....

Regarding crime etc..... It's a few years since I was there - but I doubt that security would be an issue at all.... Actually, I'd rate Lion as more of a problem by far.... last time I was there, I was sat outside my tent cleaning my rifle and a bloody great Lion walked right past me and all the way through the centre of camp..... Eeker

posted
Yikes!!! Talk about mixed emotions - part of me says "yes That's where I want to be!" The other part is saying "are you nuts?"

It does sound like Burigi would be more of an adventure and while the animals may not be as plentiful, the odds of finding a really good specimen may be improved.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I didn't see any BIG Buffalo there I'm afraid. - But that doesn't prove they're not there, just that I didn't see anything with the f**k factor...... that's when you see an animal and it's so big you mutter f*ck! Eeker

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Which blocks does Luke Samaras have? I've heard they are very good.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Texas Hunter,

If it's your first Buff hunt, I'd recommend the Selous (plenty of Lions there as well!)- but if you do go to Burigi then one interesting trophy you should take is a topi. Smiler

Spring,

Probably Bwana Mich or Ted G would be better qualified to advise on your question..... I'm sure they'll see this and respond if they can help.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHAKARI would you happen to now what blocks pierre van tonder hunts in the selous thanks for your time.........

posted
Steve,

Topi doesn't show up on Usangu's available species list. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks for your insight and guidance. It is truly appreciated.

Russell

posted
Correction - Topi does show up on the list. I was looking at the Selous list.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I believe Pierre is mostly using R2 (I'm mostly next door in R4) this year, but I'm fairly sure he's also using MK1 & Gonabisi. Probably the same next year.- Every time I go to Gonabisi it's stuffed full of Elephants...... I'll be seeing Pierre in a week or two. cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari are the blocks that pierre hunts R2 AND MK1 are they decent for cape buffalo thanks again.........

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, they're both good. MK1 has a fairly narrow but good flowing river where its always worth scouting - last time I was there I saw one particular monster. Told the client to take it quick and he decided to put his ear plugs in first homer - by the time I'd told him to stop fu***ng around and shoot the Buffalo and he's got the rifle into gear it had disappeared up its own ass! Wink - just one of those things - we did OK later....... It also has some biggish waterholes that are always worth checking out..... one esp always gets full but full of Hippo when the other waterholes start drying up...... Just above that waterhole is an area I call Lion City..... always full of Simba. Interestingly, that same area has a lot of albino baboons - but it only seems to affect the females...... Confused which of course, you can't take. I saw and filmed a herd on Buff on MK1 a few years ago that must have been over 1000 strong. It was a particularly good year there and one client took two Buff in less than an hour and another shot his first Buff even before we got to camp from the airstrip...... The river between MK1 & Gonabisi is also very good for big flatdogs..... you also sometimes run into Lions and Mr Big Ears there as well.....

R2 has a bigger river - but I don't know that area so well...... might go take a look this year when I pay Pierre a visit or two. Worth checking out for the waterbuck though - Saw some real monsters there last year At least 30 -32+ ...... Smiler

posted
I suppose handguns are out of the question?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Steve, tell Pierre to tie up an ele for me...

Mike Big Grin

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
one client took two Buff in less than an hour

Hunting buffalo in Tanzania must be very difficult!

We shot 4 old bulls in less than 5 MINUTES in Zimbabwe jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Will do - I might even meet up with you somewhere - what are your dates?

Saeed,

jumping - Must have made a great pic!

I made up for it last year in Masailand. I had a client who took 2 in the time it took to cycle the bolt...... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing more to add to what Steve has already said really......Choose Selous over Burigi. Burigi has been hunted every year but not intensively because......well take a guess Cool

Spring,
Luke samaras' areas in the selous are: LL3, RU1 U4 and MS1. LL3, RU1 and U4 are extremely beautiful areas. All blocks are next to each other which is always a good thing IMO. They contain excellent buffalo and elephant numbers as well as good populations of plains game. The Section of RU1 along the Rufiji is particularly stunning hunting country with the old Rufiji rive course now a vast sand river with "islands" and pools of water. lot's of elephant there and buffalo. One of my favorite places I've been.

Luke has another area in masaailand near Eastern Tarangire for Masaai species.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I mentioned waterbuck in the R blocks.... here's one that my old buddy Peter Lang photographed from our camp in R4 last year. There were 7 in the herd, and I don't think this one was the biggest - but it was the closest......... nice animal though. Plenty of Hippo there as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would anyone have a map of the selous showing the blocks thanks again........