New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebola
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some advice, I have A client that booked a hunt paid deposit hunt was supposed to be in August in South Africa, he cancelled because Doctor told him to do so since there is so much EBOLA! , now lets just get some facts strait there has not being a positive case south of the equator let alone South Africa there is more Ebola in the USA then there ever was in my country! He will get his refund but I think it is totally unfair to the operator to come out with A excuse like that to cancel a safari!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real question is, would the PH really want to hunt with a client who was freaked out about Ebola in SA? You're doing everyone involved a favor in refunding his deposit.

SA is dangerous enough being in such close proximity to the edge of the flat Earth so his paranoia is certainly warranted.

Oh brother 2020

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming the client is from the U.S.A.

The reason for cancelling may have been from real fear however misguided. While the chance of getting ebola in South Africa is small, one would have thought the chance of getting it in the U.S.A. would have been extremely unlikely. South Africa is closer to the ebola origin you know.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again with no positive cases south of the Equator in more than 20 years I found this A lame excuse...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
South Africa is closer to the ebola origin you know.

On the same continent, but not closer.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. Most outfitters will require a deposit to confirm a hunt/dates. I have had to cancel one hunt in my hunting career, due to an injury that prevented my going, and I did not get my deposit back, nor did I expect to get it back. There is a slight difference here. I had to cancel a month before the hunt. This particular cancellation, if I read it right, is 7 months before the hunt? It is up to you, Phillip, but I personally would not expect to get my entire deposit back in this situation. JMHO, but I would not be cancelling a hunt in South Africa because of worries about getting ebola.

Grandma says hello.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He will get it all back but it goes to show that sometimes the outfitters also get the short end of the stick...however I think it is a lame duck excuse 8 months out this is my last word on this .

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Good for you, to have a client like that could be the biggest mistake in your life.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Anton.

Have you seen a written statement from the Doc ? If not I think the client is making up the story for some reason. Every professional doc in US and Europe know that Ebola is nothing to be afraid of in South Africa. Not even in Zimbabwe nor Tanzania.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norwegian , no written statement but he demands deposit back and will get. But that is BS in my opinion...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - do that Phillip and try to resell the hunt and forget about the whole thing. BS or not !

Being an academic I get a little curious whether you have any cancellation policy written in your contracts ? Booking in Alaska or Canada most outfitters are normally very precise With these details.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fake weak kneed excuse form a chicken chit bastard
the lord looked out for you on this one

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lame excuse and it is just an excuse. You are likely better off without him.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
Once again with no positive cases south of the Equator in more than 20 years I found this A lame excuse...

+1

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having to attempt to rebook the hunt dates is a small price to avoid a guy like that. The outfitter did okay with this BS.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good for you, to have a client like that could be the biggest mistake in your life.

Have to agree with this one. "0" common sense. Can you imagine being with this guy in DG country with things get tight?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
If the doc really told him that, which I doubt, he'll definitely pay for it in the end with that doc.

Reminds me of the joke I just saw - "During my prostate exam I asked the doc where I should put my pants. 'Over there with mine' was NOT the answer I expected."

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Personally, you wouldn't be out of line to at least charge him an admin fee.

You have spent time dealing with him. You have used up data in communicating etc etc. It all costs money and you are entitled to recover it.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried to post a map, but I'm computer illiterate. The map demonstrates the idiocy of anyone's concern about Ebola in southern or East Africa.

If they are that stupid, you don't want to do business with them. Good riddance.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go Phillip.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...frica-without-ebola/

Will see if I can post more when I am on my computer again .

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phillip,
I'm sure you've got cancellation info/deposit rules in your contract, that's the only thing you have to abide by.

More than likely this guy got cold feet, and isn't going to ever come hunt with you anyway...so I wouldn't worry about burning that bridge! Smiler

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Caracal, that was the map.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The world is full of fear and ignorance on this matter.

I got back from Zim in October. The next day, I went to a Board (bored) meeting. I noticed some people I have worked with for over 30 years acting oddly. Ultimately, it came out they were concerned about Ebola. I was floored.

I goggled the distance from Guinea to Harare, then googled the distance between Guinea and where we were. There was less than 400 miles difference. They were shocked but have yet to admit they acted stupidly.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont tell people anymore I am going to Africa on safari.This has brought me mostly shit throughout the time.People use that to harass the hell out of me,increase their prices,or just tell me how there way of spending money is smarter than mine.This time around no one except my family knows I am going and their asshole behavior is enough.I know that the only person interested in my safari and the outcome is my father-my original hunting partner- even if he does not show it.I think my father was happier than I when I first played my 2012 leopard hunt DVD for him and he saw me posing with my leopard.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote