Tools

Packing Ammo to go to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
When you take 60 or so rounds into a Country and that fact is verified when you arrive by authorities, then leave with zero it can raise a lot of questions, eyebrows and create potential problems for the hunter upon leaving said Country. I have had ammo counted when leaving Namibia and questioned about rounds fired...

The customs guy counted all my ammo and recorded it when I was leaving Zim. He said "You must be a very good shot" as on the page I was the only one with the number of ammo that was close to the number I entered the country. jumping

It looked like most everybody else left their ammo behind. I would have too, but didn't think my PH had any use for 500MDM or 416B&M ammo Wink.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Leaving all excess ammo with anyone in a lot of places and cases is "illegal" both by the one who leaves it and the one who takes possession of it according to a lot of experts out there. Maybe some of the "experts" here can expound on this a bit?

When you take 60 or so rounds into a Country and that fact is verified when you arrive by authorities, then leave with zero it can raise a lot of questions, eyebrows and create potential problems for the hunter upon leaving said Country. I have had ammo counted when leaving Namibia and questioned about rounds fired. Might not be a big deal, but anything that has the potential of me landing in jail, missing my flight or other circumstance by an official and his/her mood that day is simply not worth the risk.

Indi, please give specific Airlines, name them please, who insist on fiber or factory boxes for your ammo. All the ones I fly have no such rule so would be nice to know about the ones that fit your statement. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert on anything but it is indeed often illegal to leave ammo behind and before doing so, the donor should also ask himself what that ammo could possibly be used for. ((perhaps) esp when leaving it with a tracker or a game scout etc).

If you're determined to not take it home and I can understand there may be perfectly valid and logical reasons for that, it's better to shoot it off at the range than leave it behind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

I go to the range a lot. I like to check zeros frequently. Have had some scopes get knocked off in the past. (Hell, just look at my reedbuck from last year; what's left of him).

Posts: 10153 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Steve:

I go to the range a lot. I like to check zeros frequently. Have had some scopes get knocked off in the past. (Hell, just look at my reedbuck from last year; what's left of him).

Ja. Always a good idea to thoroughly check your zero before returning home. Wink