New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Airfare to Windhoek
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a shock yesterday when Gracy informed me the economy airfare to Windhoek via JNB is almost $2000 for late August. Anyone got a better deal, and if so where? Is the Frankfurt route cheaper? We don't want to spend a night at JNB.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually it was only the airfare that was $2K, the $335 in taxes was additional!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta to Joburg is going to be around $3k according to the lady I spoke to at Delta tonight.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked in Jan. for an Aug 26 flight to Windhoek via JNB thru Gracy (Shawn) roundtrip total with taxes was $1835 and NO night in JNB using SAA.

Posts: 100 | Location: Thompkin Corners, Sullivan Co. Penna | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

As you know, I booked early for Natal and Namibia and got a fare very similar to Chugach's. Barb Wolbrink at Int'l Journeys warned me that prices would rise in the spring.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Russ, I just had the same experience buying a ticket for June into Buluwayo. I think the late date is killing us. I ended up paying 2,350 through Discovery Africa (888) 330 4880. I have always used Gracy too, but the price from Discover was about 300 less. You might try them. By the way I was looking at earlier dates, and as long as I was leaving before the first of June the price was almost 500 less. It is travel in the high season that drives the price through the roof.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that all airfares (especially taxes) increased as of April 1. Travel anytime after June 5th I believe is considered high shoulder season and thus rates are increased to reflect that.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I paid $2364 on a combo Delta/SAA. The biggest shock was Joburg to Windhoek - $489RT of which 34% ($166) is tax!
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price you were quoted was pretty much what I paid last year when I left at the end of the SAA strike in August for Windhoek. We booked way in advance and still had the same outcome.

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote