Find
Notify
Tools

How much Ammunition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted
Curious to know how much ammunition you carry with you when after Buffalo?

And what do you use to carry it - full belt or pouch etc

Any fans of the butt stock ammo holders?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi GBax

I have been caught in a few situation far from the vehicle stranded without bullets, so now I have 2 in the double 10 in my belt and 10 in a poach carried by my tracker,

I am not a big fan of the stock ammo sleeve for buffalo because it takes too long to retrieve, reload and shoot compared to a belt poach,

Rather more than less

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I use a C2 cartridge holder from Murray Custom Leather. I've tried a few and really like these. They hold the cartridges securely and they are easy to get at.

I've also used the butt holders from the same supplier and I like these too. I load 4 in the rifle and 6 in the pouch. I give one of the trackers a second pouch with another 6.

I figure if I needed more than the 10 rounds I carry I'd be running fast enough to catch up to the tracker with the extra pouch anyway!

Cheers

Daniel

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my belt carrier for softs & my buttstock sleeve for solids to keep from getting mixed up if things got hairy.
Thankfully only needed 1 TSX to get the job done.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
For a double rifle, try the Keith Double Duty from Trader Keith. I have two of those (four rounds) for quick reloads. Then a slide with six more.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gbax

I like simple and the buttstock ammo holder fits that bill. Your extra ammo and the gun are always together and there's no heavy ammo belt to pull your pants down.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yup, running with your pants down could be a problem. lol Eeker

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Huntco makes a nice 10 round and 5 round cordura nylon/elastic web that I find useful. When leather gets wet from sweat, or whatever, it made too much noise rubbing against my leather belt when going into a blind.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
For .405 WCF and .45-90, I load the rifle and then carry softs and solids in this big bore ammo carrier; it slips onto the belt and can be worn front, back, or side as desired. 405 ammo in pic below:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
For .405 WCF and .45-90, I load the rifle and then carry softs and solids in this big bore ammo carrier; it slips onto the belt and can be worn front, back, or side as desired. 405 ammo in pic below:

Which kind of brand/producer is this ?

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have El Paso (https://www.epsaddlery.com/) make me ammo slides for my rifles.

What i do is have an extra belt that has my ammo slides on it and i carry solids in it when hunting Cape Buffalo. I will load a soft for the first shot (hopefully that is all it will take) and the slide is filled with solids.

As mentioned if that is not enough ammo you are in serious trouble.

Now if you plan to mix your soft's and solids rounds in your ammo slide, finger nail polish is the way to mark the base of the shell to determine if it is a soft or solid. Pick a color that will jump out at you and use it. It will not affect your ammo usage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1628 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Stock ammo sleeve with inside packet
Excellent invention. Will not leave house without that.
Like Mark said, gun and ammo together.
Bolt rifle - 4 in magazine, five in pouch belt and five in zipped pocket on the pouch.
Extra few in your packet and off to hunting you go.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have a leather wallet type carrier on the belt part of my fanny pack that holds 10 and usually at least 5 more in a pocket of the fanny pack plus the 5 in my rifle so a total of 20 are with me at all times. I like to be prepared because I shoot a puny little 375 Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I charge the magazine- 3 in 375H&H, 5 in my 404J. and carry 10 more on a leather belt carrier. I've seen ammo come out of the elastic carriers, so I stick with leather.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Having put 14 rounds of 450 Dakota and 458 Lott into a Buffalo that WAS NOT shot improperly, I carry at least 10 extras.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 15 round culling belt made from one of my elephant hides and also use the butler Creek Alaskan slings with 4 shell loops. Years ago I had a canvas culling belt made in Zim which I have also used. 10 round slides work when two are worn and I have those also made from ele hide.

As some have mentioned, a box of ammo back on the truck is useless if you are miles away and find yourself in a gunfight with big hairy thingies. You better have ammo on your person and know how to load from whatever you're using. Because of that I am not a fan of buttstock shell carriers as I consider them too slow during the moment of truth.

Whatever you choose to use, please practice reloading from it until you can do so quickly without taking your eyes of the big hairy thingie.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock sleeves are total trailer trash. If you can't afford a culling belt then stay home. Mark Sadie says your pants are always falling down.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Norwegian,
It is a triple K .45-70 belt slide as in this link.
http://www.cowboyshootingstore...Slide_p/trpk-737.htm

Since the bullet tips protrude, it is easy to push the cartridges up for removal.
However, with the magazine capacity of my 1895 and 1886, I have never had to rush during reloading.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the belief that no one ever had a bad experience from having too much ammunition. Here is my system, which has always worked for me. I realize it is a bit of overkill.

My .416 uses detachable magazines that hold four down. So, as soon as I leave the gari I top it off, four down, one up -- softs. I carry two spare magazines with 4 each -- one softs, one solids. They fit neatly in an old surplus double grenade pouch. And, I have a 10 round slide on my belt, stoked with five each, solids and softs -- less the one I used to top off the rifle in the first place.

Have I ever needed 13 softs and/or 9 solids? No, but I've never run out of ammunition either.

I like the detachable magazines. I can reload much more quickly, and/or change between softs and solids, as the need arises.

Never had a problem with my pants falling down either.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Texas Huntco makes a nice 10 round and 5 round cordura nylon/elastic web that I find useful. When leather gets wet from sweat, or whatever, it made too much noise rubbing against my leather belt when going into a blind.

Dutch

+1

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a number of 12 round culling belts made by Jim Wear (Heym) from hippo, rhino, elephant, or buffalo that I regularly use for my DGRs. Each belt also holds flashlight, leatherman and knife sheaths. Or, I use the 20 round Italian leather "Tony Makris" culling belts from Trader Keith's. The tracker also always carries my small fanny pack in his pack with my camera and an extra box of ammo. Being prepared is always my motto. I too, have NEVER had my pants fall down. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have 3 rounds in my rifle, have 2 Uncle Mike 10-round holders on my belt.

In the truck there is an addition MTM box of 20 rounds.

That is how we start off.

As the hunt progress, I might have less on my belt, as I generally do not replenish them unless I have quite a few empties there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I have a nice belt from Holland Sport/Bros (depending on the era of ownership, and believe both entities have gone the way of Kenyan hunting). It has flaps, but they are easily folded inward to ease access. This is coming from a non-DG hunter.

Although I might be trailer park, I do have a buttstock holder on my 1885 .300 H&H. Dick Murray made it. I think that's a great combo, but not a DG setup. I love it here in Texas.

African Game Industries will likely make what you want. I still want them to make a custom bird belt for me, but I need to find the birds. I can't blame the dogs, unfortunately.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your views folks.

I have order a leather and canvas belt slide that takes 10 rounds. And i'm afraid to say also a 'trailer trash' butt stock holder. Big Grin

We'll see how i get on with the stock holder when practicing - its only cheap so can be binned if I don't like it.

That will allow me to carry 21 rounds - fingers crossed it will only take one.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Murphy's Law is alive and well regarding ammo needs. You will certainly need all of the extra ammo you can carry when you don't have it...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote