THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Latest info on traveling from U.S. to RSA and back

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest info on traveling from U.S. to RSA and back
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted
There was a lot of talk awhile back on the changes to the 4457 procedures. Something about a screw up where hunters were going to have to use an online system that required them to get an export-import license, I think.

How did that all turn out?

Also, it looks like since June 1, 2015, a copy of your birth certificate is now required by RSA, is that true?

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I was there in August and didn't need a copy of my birth certificate. The procedures are currently as they have always been in the past, for now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The requirement for an additional number plus your 4457 was stopped really before implementation. And I believe that the requirement for a birth certificate is for children that might accompany you. You could always check with one of the Travel agencies that process paperwork for travelling hunters. Gracy travel is one.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from RSA and the procedure was the same as it always had been. Nothing new. I will tell you; however, I was shocked at the amount of customs scrutiny at Dulles this time as compared to prior years. I had to open my rifle case on 2 separate occasions at Dulles.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes pagosa has it right. We had just returned but we also used Africa Sky.

The birth certificate is for any children under 18.

A great agent is Riana with Frosch right here in town. She knows S. Africa and handles a lot of hunters to and from Africa.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found customs in ATL to be confrontational, rude and quite unpleasant. Quite unnecessary. Seems to be coming from "the top" I imagine, harassment of hunters
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana91:
I just got back from RSA and the procedure was the same as it always had been. Nothing new. I will tell you; however, I was shocked at the amount of customs scrutiny at Dulles this time as compared to prior years. I had to open my rifle case on 2 separate occasions at Dulles.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the South Africans introduced the birth certificate requirement in respect of folks travelling with children, especially if it was only one parent.
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
The requirement for an additional number plus your 4457 was stopped really before implementation. And I believe that the requirement for a birth certificate is for children that might accompany you. You could always check with one of the Travel agencies that process paperwork for travelling hunters. Gracy travel is one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned by previous posters the birth certificate requirement is for traveling with children under 16 (Along with some other requirements).

Coming back from Botswana in June we cleared customs in San Francisco which was highly efficient and no problem with firearms on the outbound or inbound flights.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
I cleared customs in Dulles in August. From airplane disembarkation to exiting customs was less than 50 minutes. The guy who checked my passport congratulated me on my hunt. Everyone was cordial. No issues with 4457. Same as 2013 trip.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote