THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Honey Badgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honey Badgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
http://www.bing.com/videos/wat...n-us_msnhp>1=42007

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
saw one in Chirisa

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great clip Lane, honey badgers have to be one of the coolest animals around. I was lucky to see several in Masailand (Lobo). I dig wolverines too.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a daughter whom I am now certain is part part honey badger.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I have a daughter whom I am now certain is part part honey badger.

If you had mentioned anyone other than one of your children I would have asked, "which part?"
Big Grin

Most guys seem to think their ex-wives are part honey badger.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
With all that good snake work they do, I'll think twice before I shoot one. The next poisonous snake he eats, might be the one that was destined to bite me!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very interesting. thanks for posting.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I saw one in Zululand in 2004 carrying a 4 foot long monitor lizard early one morning in some thick riverine bush. We were about 10 yards from him.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That dude is one badddd mo fu.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
'Saw two in Chewore years ago. Way cool animal.

Now Ruark's book by the same name...not so much.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Cool Video, thanks.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
When I was in Zimbabwe in 2008 I wanted a Honey Badger in the worst way. Never saw one, but I think they are WAY COOL.

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. I've loved honey badgers since the time I saw one kick a huge leopard tom's ass in Zimbabwe. We were hunting hyena and had several baits down in a dry riverbed. The honey badger came in first and started munching. Shortly, a big tom came along but stayed back a respectful distance. It wasn't far enough, however, so the honey badger ran over there and tore him a new one then returned to his meal. When he was done, he walked across the riverbed just to kick the cat's ass one more time before turning around and walking back to our side of the river. I watched the whole thing through night vision with Tim Wegner of Blade Tech and PH Rodon Tourle. Ironically, Rodon's company logo is a honey badger, and he used to have one as a pet.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
was that a rattlesnake sound effect on the snake?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love honey badgers and hunted for one in Zimbabwe in 2008. A big boy came into the bait one evening and being the cool, collected and cocky shooter that I am, I was sure he was a gonner. Instead of waiting for the PH's signal, I shot early and missed! Another one's on the docket in 13 days. . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
I had issues with a single honey badger chasing leopards off of bait, so we hatched a plan to catch him. It was really easy to get him in the cage trap, problem was that after he was done eating, he would lift up the door and leave. So in typical 'n Boer maak 'n Plan style we had to come up a lock for the door. I ended up fashioning one from a sprinkler head and bailing wire.

Below is a video of the last straw, his capture and eventual release. As a warning there are a few Afrikaans swear words in the audio.

Honey Badger Video

The PH was actually surprised at how excited I was to capture the Honey Badger.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in South Africa they are known as a "Ratel" (which I think stems from the Dutch words for "badger"). They are tough as nails.

I have seen footage of one in the Kalahari that was bitten but good by a big puff adder. He went into a comatose state for a couple of hours, after which he woke up and shook himself off, then carried on nose to the ground as if nothing had happened.

You have got to admire their chutzpah!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned it here before, but I had a rabid one attack my tent in Kitiangare last July. He circled for five or ten minutes or so, trying every spot that looked like an opening, and then left to attack some of the boys in their tent. I yelled out a warning, but I was so far away from the main camp that no one heard me. Nasty bastard. One of the boys killed him with a panga. This was about 3:00 AM. I am forever thankful he didn't get in with me. He was one fearsome critter. I didn't know what he was, but I wasn't about to stick my head out and look.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
It is an imp. Eeker

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the mistake at the beginning of this documentary?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool animal

quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

The badger is chasing a leopard and not a cheetah!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hunting partner of mine shot a wolverine in NW Alaska years ago. I recall it being the heaviest animal for its size it have ever witnessed. It was about the size of the Honey Badger. It weighed about 60 lbs. We skinned it and it was just all ripped muscle.
Both are just weasels on steroids. Mean / tough critters with attitude!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Very cool animal

quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

The badger is chasing a leopard and not a cheetah!

True, the animal put to flight the badger is a leopard.

Oscar

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Tazmanian devil when I was in Australia (he was in a cage). He looked like he would fit right in with a honey badger or a wolverine.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pennsyltucky
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know, fron a biological standpoint, how they can take a hit from a snake as shown in the clip and mentioned in the post above and not only "live" but merely go on their way? amazing.

Posts: 93 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Botswana I saw a pride of 25 lion, en masse, attack 5 honey badgers. I've never seen that many honey badgers together - it was a family unit. A lioness got hold of one of the adults by the throat .... it in turn turned in its skin and took the lioness by the throat.

This impass lasted 45 minutes during which a young male lion came up and bit the honey badger in the arse, getting a mouthful of anal spray! never seen an animal looking so forelorn!

The badger eventually died and the lioness left her uneaten - they has had enough of them I reckon.

None of the old Bots hands had seen anything like that before. Fascinating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
'Saw two in Chewore years ago. Way cool animal.

Now Ruark's book by the same name...not so much.

Absolutely. I loved most of what Ruark wrote, but The Honey Badger has to be an exception.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote