Find
Notify
Tools

Factory Bullet Choice for Leopard
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Since my Ruger 375 H&H didn't work out, I'll be using my 30-06 for my leopard. It is currently sighted in and very accurate with Federal Premium ammunition using 180 Gr Nosler Partitions. Is this bullet adequate for leopard, or should I go to a bonded bullet in a Federal Premium load? My ammo has been purchased and I leave next week.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's fine. The Swift A-Frame is another good choice, as both expand quickly.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

If your '06 loves the NP by all means use it. You'll get all the penetration you need for any plains game plus violent initial expansion for the leopard. The 180 NP is my favorite 30 cal. bullet. I literally wouldn't think twice about shooting anything up to cape buffalo with it.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Leopards are not tough--unless wounded. A Nosler Partition in .30-06 is more than up to the task.

I used a .375 on mine, but only because my illuminated reticle scope was on board.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote