THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Washington Voters Overwhelmingly Approve New State Laws to Protect Endangered Species
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington Voters Overwhelmingly Approve New State Laws to Protect Endangered Species
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.prnewswire.com/news...ecies-300172015.html

Washington Voters Overwhelmingly Approve New State Laws to Protect Endangered Species

Washington State leads the nation, first state to crack down on illegal wildlife trafficking by a vote of the people

By a nearly 3:1 margin, voters lead the nation in adopting broad protections for 10 key species facing extinction, including elephants

Election result is huge momentum boost for Oregon initiative, legislation in other states

SEATTLE, Nov. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Washington residents have spoken loud and clear, overwhelmingly approving statewide Initiative 1401 with 71% of the vote tonight. Washington is now the first state in the country to successfully ask voters to create new penalties under state law for those caught trafficking in products made from key endangered species.

"We are thrilled with the level of support tonight from voters. I-1401 is rolling up huge margins all across the state," said Yes on I-1401 campaign manager Stephanie Ervin. "Tonight's election returns are a testament to the incredible effort over the past months by our deep coalition of conservation leaders, our dedicated volunteers and the public's commitment to help save animals facing extinction. The strong election result tonight will bolster efforts across the country and around the world to crack down on the marketplace for products made from endangered species, giving hope to those who work everyday to ensure that majestic creatures like elephants don't disappear from the wild forever."

"Today's victory is a step forward in the race against extinction. Thanks to the wisdom, compassion and determination of Washington voters, state authorities now have stronger tools to crack down on the illegal trade in endangered animal parts, which will help us save some of Earth's most iconic creatures. But our work is not done. Because even as we were casting our ballots to pass I-1401, poachers in Africa continued to kill elephants to harvest their tusks, and illegal fishing crews slaughtered countless sharks, just for their fins. So our fight for a more humane planet continues. I-1401 is a model that other states can follow, and I hope they will," said Philanthropist Paul G. Allen.

"Washington voters have had their say and determined that the state will be no safe haven for people who want to sell trinkets, potions, and other endangered species' body parts. The animals need their tusks, horns, heads, and hides more than we do, and this is a high-water mark for state involvement in the global effort to crack down on wildlife trafficking," said Wayne Pacelle, President & CEO of The Humane Society of the United States.

"Conserving the world's wildlife is at the core of the work we do every day at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium and Northwest Trek Wildlife Park. We are deeply committed to doing everything we can to save endangered species from extinction and stop the senseless slaughter of elephants, tigers, sharks and other animals around the world. We thank Washington voters for strengthening state laws on the illegal trafficking of endangered species products and leading the way for other states to follow," said Gary Geddes, Zoological and Environmental Education Director for Metro Parks Tacoma, oversees Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium and Northwest Trek Wildlife Park.

"Washington deeply values our shared commitment to conservation. That's why we are so proud that voters have spoken loudly and clearly as the first state in the nation to pass protections for endangered species at the ballot box. Within the next decade or sooner, some of the planet's most precious and endangered species may face a critical tipping point toward extinction. By strengthening protections against trafficking in products from these increasingly endangered animals, we can help to save sharks, manta rays and sea turtles, and protect our ocean life," said Mark Plunkett, Seattle Aquarium Conservation Manager.

In the two-week run-up to Election Day, the Yes on 1401 field team knocked over 12,000 doors and made over 20,000 calls in the Seattle area. In addition, the field effort included 57 volunteers completing over 142 Get-Out-The-Vote shifts.

About Save Animals Facing Extinction

I-1401 is a Washington State ballot measure that is designed to help save animals threatened with extinction. The measure would prohibit the purchase, sale, and distribution of products made from a list of 10 endangered animals being exploited to the point of potential extinction, and will be enforced by strong penalties. The animals protected by I-1401 include elephants, rhinos, lions, tigers, leopards, cheetahs, marine turtles, pangolins, sharks and rays.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=743

Animal Trafficking Initiative 1401 Won't Save Wildlife But Would Make Grandma a Felon

(posted October 29, 2015)

Washington State's Initiative 1401 could make your grandmother a criminal! That's right; the initiative that will be on Washington's ballot this November 3, could make a felon of anyone in that state selling, trading or giving away a century-old piano with ivory keys, an antique shotgun or rifle with ivory sight beads or inlays, or your mother's 1951 height-of-fashion leopard or sealskin jacket. Grandfather's cribbage board with Alaska ivory pegs could be seized by state wildlife officers without a warrant and donated or sold for use in an "educational" display about wildlife trafficking. [Editor's Note: And this will help save the elephants how???]

The initiative actually covers more than ivory. The language states that distributing any species listed as Appendix I or II of CITES and any of the 10,000-plus species listed on the IUCN's Red List (http://www.iucnredlist.org/search) as critically endangered, endangered, or vulnerable would be a criminal act. That would include argali, African lion, elephant, leopard, hog deer and many other game species that are given CITES quotas or are scarce in their native range but may be abundant in other destinations where they were introduced or kept on estates. Any distribution of such species is not just unlawful trade, but would be considered trafficking under this law.

If you live in Washington, vote NO on this over-reaching initiative and tell your friends and family to vote NO. If you don't live in Washington, be hyper vigilant against such initiatives that may be introduced in your state. Already some lawmakers in the Northeast have tried to introduce legislation that would outlaw many hunting trophies, and we have seen other initiatives in various other states where animal rightists have gotten initiatives on the ballot to end mountain lion hunting, dove hunting and bear hunting. Initiative 1401 will not be the last initiative we see attempting to criminalize wildlife products that were acquired legally.

You can read about Initiative 1401 at http://ballotpedia.org/Washing...itiative_1401_(2015). The effort is led by Save Animals Facing Extinction and is supported by Paul Allan, co-founder of Microsoft, plus the Humane Society of the United States, Born Free USA and International Fund for Animal Welfare, among others. They have raised more than $2 Million to support its passing.

Read the entire text of Initiative 1401 at https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/...1401CompleteText.pdf

While there is an exception made for antique items, the requirements to produce original documentation proving legal acquisition likely makes it impossible for most people to meet the criteria of a legal "distribution." The definition of "distribution" under this initiative is either "a change in possession for consideration or a change in legal ownership." Do you have paperwork for your family heirlooms proving they were legally acquired before current regulations? - Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shame on WA. I hope this isn't the opening HSUS/PETA/etc see and try to pass in every state.

I found this piece submitted by SCI and I thought it was a good read.

http://www.spokesman.com/stori...lobal-of-ivory-trad/

Every legitimate hunter abhors the act of poaching. The penalty for those caught and convicted of illegal poaching cannot be high enough. The solution to poaching, however, will never be found in proposals that penalize law-abiding citizens.

This principle holds true in the debate over Initiative 1401, which will be on the ballot in Washington this November. Proponents want to stop ivory poachers in Africa but, unfortunately, I-1401 – backed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and Save Animals Facing Extinction (SAFE) – will do nothing to stop poaching on that distant continent. It will only penalize the law-abiding citizens of Washington.

For an effective solution to ivory poaching, we must look for strategies to combat those who intentionally and illegally take and traffic ivory. But instead of focusing on poachers, smugglers and black-market profiteers of illicit ivory, Allen and SAFE have decided to attack law-abiding owners of legally obtained ivory, including hunters who import legally hunted trophies, musicians whose instruments contain ivory, law-abiding gun owners whose antique firearms contain ivory, and the owners of countless items that may feature ivory in small amounts.

These ordinary items include antiques, artwork, jewelry, knives, furniture and many other lawfully owned and obtained items that contain ivory or any other “covered animal” part or products. I-1401 adds insult to this injury by taking from owners the value of ivory they own legally.

Proponents of I-1401 claim that this action is necessary to save a number of African species from imminent extinction. This claim stems from a recent surge in poaching that threatens some species populations in countries with weak governments, ineffective law enforcement and poor conservation programs. But the justifications for an ivory ban in Washington have drifted far from relevant science, law, and political and economic realities in Africa and around the world. The ivory ban theory is unsupported by reality.

The goal of the proposed ivory ban is to strip ivory of all commercial value by prohibiting its sale, but the potential result would be an unconstitutional taking without due process or adequate compensation. But even setting those very serious legal issues aside, this plan is doomed to fail because of its naiveté, corrupt local governments that aid and abet poachers, and a total disregard of the thriving and well-documented illegal ivory trade in Asia.

Instead of relying on science and economics, ivory ban advocates say they are motivated to choke the global demand for ivory by setting an example for smugglers in China and elsewhere in Asia. This rationale, too, fails to pass even superficial logical, practical and political standards of scrutiny.

Why does Washington need another law that covers existing laws? There are federal and state laws in place already that make selling or trafficking ivory and other parts of endangered species illegal. Does anyone believe that poachers in Africa and their eager customers in Asia will pay any heed to the passage of a ballot initiative in Washington?

The Endangered Species Act and the African Elephant Conservation Act are federal laws that already contain extensive restrictions regarding the import, possession and trade in endangered species, including animal parts. In addition, Washington laws already protect local wildlife and prohibit the possession of any animal product from another country where the wildlife is known to have been illegally killed.

As the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service stated in its September 2012 fact sheet, there is no significant trade of illegal ivory into this country, and the continued sale of lawfully owned ivory in the United States would not increase poaching. The U.S. has a well-developed market for trading antiques, art, musical instruments, firearms, knives, scrimshaw and countless other items that incorporate ivory. The international body responsible for administering the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) also has not identified any significant flow of illegal ivory into the U.S.

Sound scientific principles, not the hyperbole and emotionalism of I-1401 backers, are the best way to manage wildlife and habitat.. Although they may think that it is preferable to appease their consciences with emotionally based public campaigns, such responses brought in the name of conservation often fail to be in the best interest of wildlife.

We urge all voters to vote no on I-1401 this Election Day.

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
delete

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
No this was a Paul Allen financed state initiative. Politics by gang rule. Unfortunately the average (read ignorant) voter thought they were doing the right thing. Most don't understand it affects them as much as hunters. Grandma's antique comb or brush may likely send them to jail if they attempt to give it to a family member or sell it at a garage sale without proving provenance. Of course the reality is most don't know it or ignore it thinking it "just couldn't" apply to them. Law enforcement will give a token effort then pretty much ignore these evil traffickers of banned wildlife products.

At this point I really have to wonder where are our hunting organizations in all this? Not a peep was heard or was there any attempt to fight from any state or national hunting org. The only defense was from a antique dealer in Chelalis WA. Few paid any attention.

My question is after the sum total of recent events when do we as hunters stand and fight these issues whenever and wherever they occur. It's obviously the anti's are going after our soft underbelly by attacking our weak points. They have the unknowing general public to back them up. The hunting organizations we all belong to have basically been sitting on their hands in all this. Their mottos like "first for hunters" and "working for wildlife" currently ring pretty hollow - noise without substance. How much is it going to take before hunters stand up as a group and use the same tactics to educate the public and fight back against these smoke & mirror voter initiative, bans by airlines and whatever else is on the horizon.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz - I posted an SCI article above. So it looks like to me they were involved in some context and probably email WA State chapter presidents and members.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The NRA warned us here in Nevada some months ago about a similar legislative proposal that was being considered in Nevada. I immediately started to contact our reps and started sending out letters and contacting other organizations to fight the proposed legislation. I contacted not only the NRA about their efforts, but SCI, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Wild Sheep Foundation, etc. and it never got out of the legislative committee. Unfortunately, I am sure that it will rear its ugly head again. The issue went beyond just our populace here in Nevada, since any sort of legislation like it would have crippled any of the conventions held in Nevada regarding SCI, RME, Wild Sheep, etc. I tried to impress on their minds the gravity and magnitude of what the result might be for all of them if the legislation got out of committee and passed. We averted it, for now.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff32:
Cougarz - I posted an SCI article above. So it looks like to me they were involved in some context and probably email WA State chapter presidents and members.

jeff32,

Thanks. I'm as guilty as anyone not paying attention. I used to be a director of one of our states hunting org's. Nearing retirement I've backed off my involvement and wasn't paying attention.

Emails to members just isn't going to be enough in the future. All hunting groups need to be just as active directly combating this kind of initiative as the antis are at promoting them. In Washington's case they we were simply outspent by the Paul Allens of the world.

If we could have spent 3 million dollars on countering this it would have helped alot. What use is it belonging to a international hunting organization if all they do is send an email?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If we could have spent 3 million dollars on countering this it would have helped alot. What use is it belonging to a international hunting organization if all they do is send an email?

I don't know about SCI/DSC/etc operating budget but I don't think either of them can finance a campaign like that.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . and Texas approves a constitutional amendment that makes it a constitutional right to hunt and fish by an 82% to 18% margin. Damn glad I live in Texas.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . and Texas approves a constitutional amendment that makes it a constitutional right to hunt and fish by an 82% to 18% margin. Damn glad I live in Texas.

What took you guys so long?...we had ours in 2003 Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . and Texas approves a constitutional amendment that makes it a constitutional right to hunt and fish by an 82% to 18% margin. Damn glad I live in Texas.Mike

I'll second that Jines

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I used to work there ( in WA ).
I always knew I couldn't live there as I saw their Regulatory agencies were running amok in 90'
Nowadays it is probably a nightmare for businesses.
East Coast, West Coast. Is it the salt water? What is it?
Changes in DNA by close proximity to Europe and China?
Seagull feces galore?
Beats me...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
No surprize with all the Citiots in Seattle and Olympia!!! I'm about ready to move!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:

Washington State leads the nation, first state to crack down on illegal wildlife trafficking by a vote of the people

By a nearly 3:1 margin, voters lead the nation in adopting broad protections for 10 key species facing extinction, including elephants

Election result is huge momentum boost for Oregon initiative, legislation in other states

There seems to be a contradiction here. If it is illegal wildlife trafficking then wouldn't that mean that there is already a law against it. If so what is the point of this. The rest of the article talks about restricting trafficking of items that are legal, but the supports of this law don't agree with. You can keep this in the northwest. I think the aim was an attempt to shutdown the transport of trophies through customs in Washington. What next, are they going to try to ban the trafficking of trophies through their air space. That is okay Texas has airports and seaports. Bring them through here.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
No this was a Paul Allen financed state initiative. Politics by gang rule. Unfortunately the average (read ignorant) voter thought they were doing the right thing. Most don't understand it affects them as much as hunters. Grandma's antique comb or brush may likely send them to jail if they attempt to give it to a family member or sell it at a garage sale without proving provenance. Of course the reality is most don't know it or ignore it thinking it "just couldn't" apply to them. Law enforcement will give a token effort then pretty much ignore these evil traffickers of banned wildlife products.

At this point I really have to wonder where are our hunting organizations in all this? Not a peep was heard or was there any attempt to fight from any state or national hunting org. The only defense was from a antique dealer in Chelalis WA. Few paid any attention.

My question is after the sum total of recent events when do we as hunters stand and fight these issues whenever and wherever they occur. It's obviously the anti's are going after our soft underbelly by attacking our weak points. They have the unknowing general public to back them up. The hunting organizations we all belong to have basically been sitting on their hands in all this. Their mottos like "first for hunters" and "working for wildlife" currently ring pretty hollow - noise without substance. How much is it going to take before hunters stand up as a group and use the same tactics to educate the public and fight back against these smoke & mirror voter initiative, bans by airlines and whatever else is on the horizon.

People like Paul Allen could not careless about hunters, or anyone else for that matter.

He is apparently gloating right now because he has achieved something useful!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
There seems to be a contradiction here. If it is illegal wildlife trafficking then wouldn't that mean that there is already a law against it. If so what is the point of this. The rest of the article talks about restricting trafficking of items that are legal, but the supports of this law don't agree with.

What drives me nuts is that it is a guilty until proven innocent type thing. If I try to sell a piece of ivory I have, it is presumed illegal until I prove it is not. The smug liberals here in Seattle make me sick to my stomach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

jeff32,

Thanks. I'm as guilty as anyone not paying attention. I used to be a director of one of our states hunting org's. Nearing retirement I've backed off my involvement and wasn't paying attention.

Emails to members just isn't going to be enough in the future. All hunting groups need to be just as active directly combating this kind of initiative as the antis are at promoting them. In Washington's case they we were simply outspent by the Paul Allens of the world.

Do you know for a fact the the hunting org's didnt do more?

Would it even be money well spent? When there are battles going on in every corner and limited funds.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
quote:

jeff32,

Do you know for a fact the the hunting org's didnt do more?

Would it even be money well spent? When there are battles going on in every corner and limited funds.

Well the fight against this was carried by an antique dealer little was mentioned elsewhere. I'm very familiar with limited funds. As I said before I was once a director of one our states hunting organizations and in this case it should have been a priority.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I said before I was once a director of one our states hunting organizations and in this case it should have been a priority.

What did your old hunting org do for this fight? I know you aren't the Director anymore but did they weigh in and if so, how?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I visited Washington state & what a beautiful state it is.
I met with a man there who is by all means one of the best people I have ever met.
I ask him why the Northwest was so liberal.
He explained to me that it was caused by all the old hippies fleeing L.A. & San Francisco because of crime, smog & taxes.
Problem is they brought their old political beliefs with them.
Seems they ruined one place & didn't learn a damn thing & now are hell bent to ruin more!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Not a peep from them......

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Same here.
Many Libs moving here especially from Ca and bringing their old political beliefs with them and all they do here is trouble.
Being from CA here in Montana is somewhat of a black mark.
I have three neighbors on my road from there and everyone of them causes nothing but a trouble. One always calls Sheriff's dept about anyone's loose dog, another one always bitching about road work we do because of overturned rocks and the third one wants to change everything around here ( and he is a hunter ).
In the end, everyone of them is on disability, but from what, I can't figure it out as they seem to be in perfect health.
There it is in nutshell and that's just tip of the iceberg...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this affect sports hunting?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does this affect sports hunting?

It doesn't - directly. The problem is one of momentum.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
A few years ago I visited Washington state & what a beautiful state it is.
I met with a man there who is by all means one of the best people I have ever met.
I ask him why the Northwest was so liberal.
He explained to me that it was caused by all the old hippies fleeing L.A. & San Francisco because of crime, smog & taxes.
Problem is they brought their old political beliefs with them.
Seems they ruined one place & didn't learn a damn thing & now are hell bent to ruin more!

A great example of this can also be found in small towns of Northern California.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
A great example of this can also be found in small towns of Northern California

And Idaho...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lot of reasons for them to come to La.
We screwed it up years ago ourselves!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this affect people with Will's elephant wallets?

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Friends,

This Bill was entered into the WA Legislature and it failed flat out. Then Billionaire Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft and owner of Seattle Seahawks/Portland Trailblazers picked up the ball and started the Initiative signature gathering....he PAID upwards of $6-10/signature to get this on the WA Ballot!! 250,000 required....300K+ were collected to make the hurdle.

I personally asked SCI CEO Phil DeLone and Dallas CEO to send e-mail blasts several weeks before WA Balloting....NOPE, NOTHING, not from HQ or Chapters!! Barbara Crown at the Hunting Report sent an E-Mail Extra bulletin to those subscribers receiving the upgraded Newsletter. NRA and NRA-ILA did send several messages.

This was sold only to affect Elephant Ivory and Rhino Horn...truth is, per John Jackson III, Conservation Force, the way this Initiative is written it will affect trade in OVER 9000 species on the CITES Threatened list....a HUGE OVERREACH!! Intentional, I don't know, I will bet....the Bill is 16 pages of legalese... Further, Allen has EXCLUDED musical instruments....he is a music lover with a recording studio in his 425 foot yacht...and it is rumored that Seattle Symphony also offered to support the Initiative IF HE WOULD EXCLUDE MUSICAL INSTURMENTS!! Hypocritical, Yes, you can't sell yours but I can sell mine!! There is also NO EVIDENCE of how this will SAVE Animals!!...first legal criticism.
How does this affect hunters....you cannot EVER sell, trade, barter, auction any animal parts of these 9000 species....including trophies, elephant hair bracelets, inlays in guns or art/antiques, pistol grips, sight beads, and GRANNY's ivory beads and leopard skin, seal skin coat.....on and on and on....
It does not seem to affect import of these trophies, mounting, making bags, bangles....but you cannot sell....so how does that help wildlife?? It affects everything in your collection/possession now!!...but do you want to PAY to bring in more you can NEVER LIQUIDATE??
This is a sad day in Washington State, but I am told that things going on in WA DC as we speak will make this Initiative pale by comparison!!
FOLKS, we are in for a FIGHT and I hope our BIG INTERNATIONAL HUNTING ORGANIZATIONS start protecting our interests and start promoting the benefits of sport hunting to wildlife!!
This is not only our trophies and collectibles, this is about CONTROL and our FREEDOM!! Remember MOST trafficking of Ivory and Rhino Horn is INTERNATIONAL drug and terrorism related and OFTEN promoted by illicit Governments....now INNOCENT citizens who have acted completely LEGALLY are potential CRIMINALS in the Future....FAIR?? RESPONSIBLE??
Glad I am an old guy and been there done that....I fear for our younger members and fellow hunters....The Sun is Setting on our Sport!!
By the way, Washingtonians are also the recipient of Billionaire Bloomberg's Initiative 594...the gunshow loophole Bill....which now makes it illegal to loan your gun to a family member or friend without a NICS Background Check...yup your wife too if you die...she becomes a Felon with your guns!! This is Unconstitutional...Law Enforcement says they will NOT enforce....wait and see??

Washington Legislature MUST now act to overturn both of these OVER REACHING Initiatives.

No Cheers here....

BOYCOTT THE SEAHAWKS AND PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS OWNED BY PAUL ALLEN!!! BOOOOOO!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Paul Allen has FOOLED the Washington State Voters!!! His Save the Endangered Species Initiative-1401 was passed. Boycott the Seahawks and the Trail Blazers!!!
Allen has EXCLUDED musical instruments....he is a music lover with a recording studio in his 425 foot yacht...and it is rumored that Seattle Symphony also offered to support the Initiative IF HE WOULD EXCLUDE MUSICAL INSTURMENTS!! Hypocritical, Yes, you can't sell yours but I can sell mine!! There is also NO EVIDENCE of how this will SAVE Animals!!...first legal criticism.
How does this affect hunters....you cannot EVER sell, trade, barter, auction any animal parts of these 9000 species....including trophies, elephant hair bracelets, inlays in guns or art/antiques, pistol grips, sight beads, and GRANNY's ivory beads and leopard skin, seal skin coat.....on and on and on....

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew legalizing pot and same-sex marriages would lead to things like this.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, all these liberal states will go belly up and they will be preoccupied with burning buildings and widespread looting, not antique ivory.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A shocking crime was committed on the unscrupulous initiative of few individuals, with the blessing of more, and amid the passive acquiescence of all." Tacitus.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew- OOPS almost missed this one as a PM!!
It would be GREAT to find out if there is a connection here....we will need all of the ammunition we can get to OVERTURN this in the Legislature!!
The Paul Allen we are speaking of here lives on Mercer Island, ie east side Seattle/Bellevue,
WASHINGTON, he is co-founder of Microsoft, owns a company called Vulcan Ventures doing all kinds of building development in Seattle, owns a 425' yacht with a recording studio in it. He has owned eco-tourism lodges in Botswana and is also a big contributor to the President of Botswana in closing hunting....he told him that his eco-lodges could generate more than HUNTING!!
Please send me anything you can dig up, I will be involved in trying to DUMP this Initiative!!

Wishing you all the best on the AR Group hunt....wish I was there....enjoying Kona wishing I was hunting!!

Cheers,
Steve

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I'm no lawyer (thank God), but doesn't this violate the legal premise that says that a State can't create laws already handled under Federal jurisdiction? What is any different in this law than a State law that bans illegal immigrants and locks them up. I believe Arizona tried and failed something similar, and that was just to detain and turn over the individuals. Any lawyers out there know if this makes sense?

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.kuow.org/stories/t...life-trafficking-law

Two men accused of selling ivory are first to be charged under wildlife trafficking law

BY Tom Banse
APR 02, 2019 at 6:23 PM Northwest News Network

Two people who allegedly placed online ads to sell elephant ivory carvings are the first to be charged under wildlife trafficking laws passed by Pacific Northwest voters a few years ago.

You may remember how billionaire Paul Allen bankrolled ballot measures in Washington state in 2015 (Initiative 1401) and then in Oregon (Measure 100) the following year. Voters in both states by overwhelming margins outlawed the trade or sale of products made from certain endangered animals, such as elephants, tigers, leopards, cheetahs and rhinos.

During the campaigns, there were questions about whether illegal trafficking in African wildlife was really a problem in the Pacific Northwest. Now comes Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson with felony charges against two Western Washington men: Donald Rooney of Everett and Yunhua Chen of Seattle were charged Tuesday after separate investigations into carved ivory figures they offered for sale on Craigslist and eBay.

According to the court records, an undercover detective arranged through Craigslist to visit Rooney's mobile home to buy three ivory figurines from him in 2017. That same detective was outbid when she later tried to buy an ivory carving listed by Chen on eBay. With the auction website's help, the authorities identified Chen's item listings and the successful bidders, one of whom forfeited his ivory purchase.

Scientists at the National Fish and Wildlife Forensics Lab in Ashland, Oregon, performed DNA testing on the evidence and confirmed it to be African elephant ivory in all cases.

Rooney did not immediately return a message left on his voicemail. Chen could not be reached for comment. Neither man was physically arrested on Tuesday. They were formally charged via criminal complaints filed by the attorney general in Snohomish and King County Superior Courts. They have been scheduled for separate initial appearances to answer the charges in mid-April.

Each suspect faces a single count of first-degree unlawful trafficking in species threatened with extinction. The maximum penalty for that charge is five years in prison, a $10,000 fine and a $4,000 criminal wildlife penalty paid to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife to help fund future enforcement.

It is unusual for the state Attorney General to take the lead on a criminal case, which requires a request from a county prosecutor or the governor. Ferguson said his office took on these prosecutions to put traffickers on notice that selling items made from endangered species will not be tolerated. Sale of African elephant items across state lines is also banned under federal law with a few exceptions.

"The billion-dollar black market trade in endangered species is propelling iconic animals towards extinction," said Woodland Park Zoo President and CEO Alejandro Grajal in a prepared statement. "When Washington voters took a stand against illegal wildlife trafficking by passing I-1401, they provided more than hope — they gave teeth to enforcement measures allowing us to stop this practice in our state. Ending wildlife trafficking here will have ripple effects throughout the entire world and help us save species in the wild."

On Saturday, the zoo in Seattle will host an event in conjunction with WDFW called "Toss the Tusk." Wildlife agents will be on hand to accept unwanted items made from exotic species that would be illegal to barter, trade or sell under the state anti-trafficking law, which took effect in 2016.

According to the event announcement, the Woodland Park Zoo and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife want to offer a secure and legal way to take those items off people's hands and out of the market for trafficked species. Items will go into the safekeeping of state law enforcement and may later be used in education programs to combat wildlife trafficking.

The voter-approved anti-trafficking laws do not criminalize simple possession of ivory art pieces that were acquired before the ban on that trade took effect.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2015?

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The stupid idiots cannot run their own State, and they want to dictate to the whole of Africa of what they should do?? Confused

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
living in a mobile home....

Yep...

Busted up the cartel there boys...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote