New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Namibia to the rescue???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From a reliable source,Air Namibia is considering a direct flight from Miami to Windhoek, starting approximately October 2005.Nothing is carved in stone , but this would be an alternative for those of us traveling to the South African countries. I will immediately post any new information I receive on this topic.

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

We have a pair of hunts booked in Namibia in '05, and I am already looking at Air Namibia because of all the gyrations in RSA with handling firearms and whatever the drama of the week happens to be.

Miami direct to Windhoek would just be icing on the cake.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Excuse me if I don't get too excited about this possibility. Over the past ten years or so, Air Namibia has announced several times that they were going to inaugurate flight between the U.S. and South Africa and Namibia. They never got off the ground. Then there was a new, start-up airline that was going to provide service between Washington/Dulles and JHB. I think that lasted perhaps a month or two.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope they pull it off and knock SAA on their complacent asses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HunterJim, If they get the direct route take it. If not, fly to Frankfurt. Air Namibia flys direct to Windhoek from there. Fairly user friendly for the firearms crowd. That is the route most of the Namibian ph's I know take.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Quote:

HunterJim, If they get the direct route take it. If not, fly to Frankfurt. Air Namibia flys direct to Windhoek from there. Fairly user friendly for the firearms crowd. That is the route most of the Namibian ph's I know take.

Does Air Namibia have daily flights to Windhoek from Germany?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is yes.

I was wrong. I just went to the website and they only fly 4 days a week from Frankfurt to Windhoek.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Mike, I just checked the Air Namibia website, and it says that they operate 4 weekly flights to Frankfurt, via London.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You must have been replying at the same time I was editing my post. The London thing bothers me. Better to fly to Frankfurt direct then get Air Namibia there. I will check with some of the guys and see exactly what routes they usually take.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is probably a dumb question but since I don't know the answer........

Is there anyway to use the Frankfurt route and put your firearms in "bond" or some similar type situation at the Frankfurt airport, leaving them for a few days while you tour Germany, either coming or going?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I picked up some information at the SCI Convention for Air Namibia flights from the US to Namibia via Europe using Singapore Air for the leg from the US to Europe. I was figuring to do that route. Direct would be better, but not required.

Frankfurt is great, but I wouldn't do a London connection. Too much drama with firearms in England.

When we were in Namibia last Lufthansa was operating Air Namibia under contract. I presume that is still true.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

From a reliable source,Air Namibia is considering a direct flight from Miami to Windhoek, starting approximately October 2005..

2005 would be nice, but October is missing most of the hunting season. April 1 would be great.

I'm sure a simple phone call to them will fix that right up.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Would you be so kind as to e-mail me your info with regards to travel arrangements from the USA to SA.

sales@groovebullets.com

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote