Notify
Tools

Huge Ethiopian Leopard
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
I received this message from Jason Roussos yesterday. I don't think there was any doubt about whether tis one was a male of not Eeker

"I got back from a Damaro hunt with a client from Mexico. Got this unbelievable leopard. Huge, scarred up old male that was very dark (classic Ethiopian morph leopard). Probably the best cat I have shot to date. On the body he measured 8.5 feet. Skin off he measured just under 10 feet. Must have weighed close to 200lbs but didn’t have a scale. No skull measurement because unfortunately the clients backup shot hit the back of the skull. Because we could still get a skull width measurement my guess was that he was around 18 inches total score."

WOW!

That is a fantastic animal!

I love the dark colour!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH. WOW.
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just when I thought I would never shoot another leopard....I guess now I need to go to Ethiopia..oh boy

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely incredible Chui!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the best looking leopard trophy that i've every seen.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
The most impressive leopard Ive ever seen, Congratulations to all involved!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 532 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any other pictures??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Beautiful leopard...the most impressive leopard trophy I've ever seen.

It's unfortunate the trophy photo was ruined by the inclusion of that Blaser. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beast among beasts.May his progeny be numerous,and roam widely.Congratulations! Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Eesh! ....and I thought my cat was big. This one is a real monster. Mine weighed in at 180 pounds on the farm scale - your cat appears to be MUCH bigger! Way to go!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many color "morphs" of leopard does Ethiopia have?

The forests of SW Ethiopia use to produce about 20% Melanistic phase leopards. I say use to because for he most part the forests are now gone. Here's one from about 30 years ago.

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Eesh! ....and I thought my cat was big. This one is a real monster. Mine weighed in at 180 pounds on the farm scale - your cat appears to be MUCH bigger! Way to go!

Post your pic... Lots of people say they shot a 180lb cat but sincere you weighed yours I would love to see it

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:

Post your pic... Lots of people say they shot a 180lb cat but sincere you weighed yours I would love to see it

There are several photos already posted - look in the "Hunting Reports - Africa" section under "Shangani Leopard". Photos of the mount are also posted in the Taxidermy section under "Leopard".

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did..... What an awesome cat!!

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
I say use to because for he most part the forests are now gone.

What a shame. And the tree huggers are doing what about this situation.....?

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome color and awesome cat. I would guess 175lbs. Not many strong guys can lift 175 lb cats and even less lift 200lb cats.
Great cat, probably the best i have seen here on AR.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Awesome color and awesome cat. I would guess 175lbs. Not many strong guys can lift 175 lb cats and even less lift 200lb cats.
Great cat, probably the best i have seen here on AR.

I respectfully disagree with your estimation of the cat's weight. My leopard (view photos in "Shangani Leopard")weighed 180 pounds (actual weight on a scale), and this Ethiopian cat appears to be much bigger. Also note in the photo the leopard's back paws are still on the ground, so the man in the photo is not picking up the whole weight. I lifted my cat off the ground and threw out my back in the process!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I lifted my cat off the ground and threw out my back in the process!

I can relate to that!

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
BIG TOM CONGRATULATIONS clapTHE ROUSSOS FAMILY HAS A LOT OF EXPERIENCE ON ETHIOPIA ,THEY ARE THE BEST OVER THERE

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As fine a trophy as a 100# + tusker. Absolutely beautiful.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Remarkable leopard, beautiful. What was the skull measurement?

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap! That's a huge cat
Great job to all involved
clap
Regards
Dave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post

Here we go.
Three years ago outside Waterport
17&7/8 , 90 + kg

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'and2&1/2" and 215 lbs and had to have a help to lift him.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
One more thing. Nose to tail along the curves 8'6" and we measured him right after several times, because we couldn't believe it.

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow what a leopard is it importable ?

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the stuff dreams are made of. LOVE THAT DARK COLOR. Congrats to all.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stellar cat!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Serious cat. Looks like a bloody Jaguar. Well done to all involved.

I was just about to say the same! That is a gorgeous panther. Absolutely stunning.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would dearly love to see the finished mount of that beast.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10565 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote