New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Valley in March
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be in the Dande Safari Area on a trophy bull hunt the first half of March, 2011. I am going then because Buzz said early season would be advantageous on what I consider a specialized hunt.
I know it will be somewhat warm, and perhaps wet. Buzz has quoted some temperature figures and such, but I was looking for personal experiences of anyone who has hunted the Valley so early on. How warm? How wet? Flies? Anything I haven't thought of? I know things will be green and thick.
My hunts have all been May-September, this should be differant!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I was in the valley in April and yes it was warm but what was worse was the sticky humidity.
You will get wet and you will see minimal game.
But it is an Ele your after.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practice digging with a shovel..you will get in lots of practice in March digging trucks out, winch or no winch.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/801104146/p/1

Marty,

This is the link to our 2007 Ele/buff hunt in Chirisa Zimbabwe during March 2007. Coming from the cold of Chicago to very hot and rainy weather is a little bit of a shock to the body.

We returned with great suntans!!!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Oh, Check if Buzz has "Diff Lock" in his Cruiser.
Without would be a bugger.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very warm, very sticky, very thick and very green! Depends on the rains, of course, but probably some wet weather and plenty of mud--but the crop-raiders will be about, and it's a great time to catch a big bull. You should have a super hunt! Good luck, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted elephant in the Valley during March and April. The humidity is the biggest factor, but then I'm used to West Texas. I killed an elephant Easter Sunday 2005 just before noon and I set a thermometer on the ground next to the dead elephant (we'd been tracking it for about four hours). It read 119 degrees F.

Drink plenty of water and take wicking clothing -- you will be fine. The hunting is great and you can get REALLY close with all of the vegetation. You'll have a great time and best of luck.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote