Find
Notify
Tools

My New Penrod Rifle :)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
After a 9 month wait, I finally got my new Mark Penrod built rifle today!

*338 Win Mag.

*Left-handed Model 70 Action.

*PME Extractor.

*One Piece Williams Bottom Metal.

*Mark's engraved 3 panel bolt knob.

*Krieger Barrel.

*McMillan Stock.

*Pacmayer Decellerator.

*Tally Rings w/machined lower Tally Bases.

*Leupold 2.5-8 VariXIII w/4A Premier Reticle.

*Spruce Green

I'm like a kid in a candy store today. Can't wait to get out and shoot it. This will be my "light" rifle next May in Zim. Jeff
< !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Curly used to say: POIFECT!!!!
jcn

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Great looking rifle. The stock looks better than a lot of their's that I have seen, including mine.

Very Nice. Good luck on the range. The .338 W/M is going to be my 'light gun' on my next trip also.

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
A real work horse.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Jeff. I sent Mark a M70 barreled action this past Monday. It is and will remain a .300 Weatherby. It will be very similar to your .338 except the stock.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a Beauty. Thanks for sharing. I see that I need to get a PME extractor for my trollop of a .404 Jeffery. Thanks for the reminder.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's a beaut! and a great caliber selection I might add!jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Even the bolts on the "right" side!

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post

Hey, that looks like my Model 7 .308 with a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock, Leupold VX1 3-9x40 with Leupold rings, but not nearly as beautiful as your rifle gun.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle! Does Mark Penrod have a website?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle.

Is that rust bluing or caustic?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark doesn't have a website, but will send you a brochure. His address is:

Mark Penrod
Penrod Precision
312 East College Avenue
North Manchester, Indiana
(260) 982-8385

It's caustic blued - not rust blued. Mark and D'Arcy Echols both use and recommend caustic bluing. I figure they know way more than I do, but I'd always thought rust bluing was the way to go. Anyway, it turned out awesome, so what do I know?

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, very nice looking rifle indeed. Fantastic! I've talked with Mark and seen his work and you definately have a winner!

Chuck

P.S. I would really like to see a closeup of those bases if possible.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Jeff, that's a great looking rifle, and an extremely practical one. You put all the right stuff into that beauty, and you hired one of the very best riflemakers in the whole country to build it, and a man you can trust.

I've done business with Mark for over ten years, and you can count on precise chambering and true best-quality workmanship out of him every time. I'm sure your rifle will serve you better than well. I love the beautiful bolt knob treatment, blueing, and stock color on your rifle. It just looks right!

I currently have a full-house custom Penrod Model 70 barreled-action in .270 Win. at James Tucker's shop for a hand-built stock of French walnut. When I was down at Tucker's for a stock fitting, he complimented the quality of Penrod's metalwork again and again.

Such skill does not come to everyone who calls himself a gunmaker.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I was hoping to get out and start to break in the barrel this weekend, but they are having an "event" all day Sunday, and Saturday I had a previous engagement. I will report back after I've shot it.

Jeff