THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Taking Shotgun Ammo to ZIM...With No Shotgun

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking Shotgun Ammo to ZIM...With No Shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With all the "new"regulations is it possible to get Shotgun Ammo into ZIM, and also into South Africa since I have a 2 night stay, if I am not traveling with a shotgun?

The PH has one in camp I can use, but he asked if I could bring some shells.

Would it be easier and legal to buy them in SA and then take them to ZIM?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In RSA the police clearing our guns & ammo at the airport confiscated our shotgun ammo because we did not have a shotgun. We explained that it was for a camp gun but they didn't seem to care.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bringing them into Zim is no trouble, just ask the PH to fax you a copy of his permit to show the monkey at the tribal customs counter just in case....

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that the ammo weight limit is *supposed* to be 11 lbs. Shotgun fodder is weighty. Of course, perhaps no one will care, but you never know. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't travel to Africa with shotgun ammunition, too weighty and asking for trouble when entering South Africa. In 1995 I brought a box of .44 mags for a PH and the customs guy in South Africa just crossed them off the SAP form and the man in Harare did the same when I told them I wasn't bringing in a gun for that round.

In both my trips to Zimbabwe I told my PH to get me a 1/2 case of shotgun shells (which at the time was ten boxes) for me and my partner. Yes they were pricey but attainable and I left what I didn't use (most) in camp when I left as part of the tip "package".

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the info, I was afraid the shotgun ammo would be a no go.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote