Find
Notify
Tools

Match Kings In Africa
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are all having a great time on our hunt, we even managed to get Walter to shoot a dead duiker!

More of this after I get back.

So much for me bringing a long range rifle. Apart from one red duiker which I shot at about 270 yards, and one impala at about 350, most of the rest of the animals were shot at less than 100 yards - one nyala which we was stupid enough to answer our call for a red duiker, got shot at 20 yards.

We have just finished hunting down in Zululand, where we hunted nyala, zebra, wildebeest, impala, warthog, common duiker and red duiker.

I have shot two nyala with the 180 grain Ballistic Tips, both dropped in thier tracks, and the bullets went completely through.

We shot 6 nyala, 4 zebra, 2 impala, 1 common duiker, one blue wildebeest and one red duiker with the 180 grain Match King bullets. All died with one shot.

The bullets did break up, and we recovered a few bits a pieces, including two jackets with no lead left.

We are now at Bokport, where we hope to hunt eland, blesbok, black wildebeest, springbok etc.

I will try using the rest of the Ballistic Tips, and then go on to the premium bullets, like the Partition, Swift A-Frame and Bear Claws.

I will try to log on and give you all a quick report.

I will have a full report ready after I get back home.

Best regards from us all.

And that old saying is most appropriate right now - "Wish you were all here"

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Dice2>
posted
I would make sure I had plenty of oil on my backside before I climbed aboard that saddle, I hear it can be devastating on your family jewels.

Please do share some of that oil with WalterHog!
Your words of encouragement won't stop the ARSE from getting red as a beat. Now as you already know, it isn't like riding a camel. He can take along his guitar and serenade the crowd and horses too.

posted Hide Post
It's good to hear from you, Saeed! I hope you're capturing some good video of your exploits.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a delightful hunt.

I understand that new production ballistic tips are tougher than the old ones which people complained break up too much. Personally, I though the old fragile ballistic tips were great killers of light game like deer.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
500grains,

I used the "old" .30 165gr. Ballistic Tips at ~2400fps, and killed dozens of head of game with in four years of handgun hunting.

Suddenly, the bullets were penciling through the deer. Our inquiries with Nosler revealed that the jackets were thickened because people were shooting them in .300 magnums (due to their great accuracy and aerodynamics) but were complaining about bullet failure. (This happened around the time that Nosler went to the 50 pack.)

Since handgun hunters are a far smaller sector of the market, the bullets were "toughened" to accomodate the rifle shooters. Fortunately, I accumulated enough of the old style to last me forever.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
many of us are looking forward to laying our eyes on that report.
take care!
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Saeed its good to here from you .
I hope you get all your trophies and we look forward to see your video and photos.

Hamdeni [Smile]

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Yestreday we shot 3 black wildebeest, at 350, 220 and 350 yards.

The flat shooting bullets from the 30-404 came in handy.

We just came after 25 Kms of horse riding. I am going to be walking bow legged for a week I think!

We shot 1 mountain reedbuck and 4 blesbok.
We used the Nosler Basllistic Tips, in both the 7x64 and the 30-404.

We recovered one bullet from a blesbok fired from the 7x64, and it looks quite good.

All the ones fired from the 30-404 went through.

We did recover one from a black wildebeest I shot yesterday at about 350 yards. He was quartering away, and the bullet went into his stomach, and lodged in his off side shoulder.

Walter was complaining of bad suspension on ten horse he was riding - which was called Killer!

He was not too impressed when he heard the name of the horse, but after a day with it, he was quite happy.

I will try another update tommorrow.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates, Saeed. It is great to hear from you guys. I hope your hunt continues to be a success and that you have a safe trip back.

BTW, do you think Sierra may not have warned the African game that their Matchkings are only designed for paper and varmints??? [Wink]

Continued good luck, my friend.

[Big Grin] Canuck

ps: Did we leave enough good trophies for you? [Wink]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Saeed,
Since you have done the MatchKing thing, you must now find a lever action rifle and slay a cape buffalo or a dozen.

While the cat is away the mice are playing with lever actions on the Africa forum. I feel kind of sorry for those fixated on lever actions for Africa, as they are taking a beating from the more sensible. If you could pull some stunts with a lever action DGR [Roll Eyes] it might help to soothe the rednecks.

On second thought, it might be more more convincing if Walter took the lever action afield, and you backed him up on buffalo with the MatchKing. This would surely satisfy the laver action nuts.

BTW, don't forget to have someone with a 375 and X-Bullets along too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DOH!!!

I just polluted another thread with LEVER ACTION FEVER (LAF)!!! It must be infectious!

If only I could find a lever action big enough to handle a 700 NE ... sigh ... I would truly be the King of Rednecks if I had one of those!

DOH!!!

There I go again!!! I got the Lever Action Fever!!! Bad LAF!!! Just like all the other LAF lads!!! I am doomed ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed my friend,
Seriously now, thanks for the progress report. It is great to hear of this epic adventure under way.
Don Quixote and Sancho Panza got nuthin' on you and Walter. You teach us "to comprehend the world as a question." Maybe that is what you are doing to Walter all these years? Building his character and ours too?

Please tell us more wondrous and baffling things when you can.

Until we tilt at windmills again, adios.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
uh oh, your horseback, about time you Bedowins (SP?) cowboyed up!!! We need to hunt elk next year, I hear the elk are fat in Montana,(line from a John Wayne Movie) yipee yi yo ki yea!! you have touched the heart of this old cowboy...I love hunt'en horseback. When I get off, I'm shoot'en.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Okay, Saeed. It's been THREE DAYS since we last heard from you. What trouble has Walter gotten himself and everyone else into?? [Smile]

George

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Saeed,

Thanks for the updates! You find whole muscle groups you forgot you had when you have not been riding in a while!! [Big Grin] Keep up the good work Parnder, and my regards to Walter and Killer!

Good Hunting,

Bob

[ 06-21-2002, 19:13: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Saeed,

Great to hear from you. I thought maybe you couldn't get the system to work over there. Then I realized that I was missing your posts due to my internal policy of "never read about MatchKings" !

It sounds like you have your hands full with Walter again. I would watch my back if I were you. Never trust a man who bathes with maggots!

I just had my tonsils out about 9 hours ago. It's a good thing the drugs are powerful! I was back home two hours after they cut 'em out. Don't know if I like this modern medicine all that much. No pretty nurses at home!

Go well, my friend,
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has Roy shot any game with that famous 585 yet? I suggest that you secretly swith the 585 for Walter's Blaser in the gun case so that Walter will have no choice but to hunt with the 585.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now MR. DAGGARON,why are you saying so many unfriendly things about people who may like levers.I am getting a custom lever in a 50-110 and I think it will be fine, but I also know that the next rifle will be a 375AI, I think that is what I will go with.When I go to Africa someday, at the rate I going I will be around 103 when I get there, but I would bring my 50-110 and of course a 375AI.I know the 375AI would be a far better rifle for all around use, but the 50-110 will work well within its range. Some people like handgun hunting and within its range and right bullet have had great success.Why does so many people on this site dislike the lever so bad, what did it do to them?.I love all guns, muzzle loaders or handguns, shotguns.I am just trying to lighten up the whole topic of the lever action here a bit,but I think you know what I am saying. Thanks,Kev PS;MR. DAGGARON, I AM NOT A REDNECK YET,BUT I AM LOOKING INTO TO IT.

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
500grains,

I have not heard that Roy has used his 585 on any game animals yet.

I know he broke the stock on it, and had to re-enforce it with a couple fo steel plates on either side of the magazine!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev,
What Rusty, Ray, 500grains, GeorgeS, and others said, and just for fun too. Don't take it so seriously. BTW I AM A REDNECK, but do not suffer from LAF (Lever Action Fever).

[ 07-03-2002, 02:49: Message edited by: DaggaRon ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I am glad I am in good company,Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Yes, Kev, your are amongst the finest of company.

A group of people who have dedicated much of their lives to the preservation of the great outdoors, hunting and their cherished honor! Men and women eager to share, and pass along their wealth of knowledge and experience!

Granted we are a diverse group of individuals. Each of us with our own opinions, likes and dislikes. However, we are bound together by our mutual love, of guns, hunting, preservation of our heritage, and the wonderful camaraderie of sharing these values with our peers.

Above all else, we cherish our sacred honor, our freedoms!

We indeed are,

A band of brothers!

Rusty

[ 07-05-2002, 04:11: Message edited by: Rusty ]

one of us
posted Hide Post

Roy did shoot a dead buffalo with it a couple years ago. I cant remember exactly which bullet he used however, he did mention that it mushroomed alot and didnt penetrate as far as he expected.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
I heard that Nosler and Sierra were developing a new bullet for the 585 Nyatti called the Matchking ballistic tip. To be used in hunting long range antelope in Kansas. It is to be out in January 2003 in time for the 2002 hunting season.
lb404 [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]