THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    FUND RAISING FOR THE ALAN SHEARING FAMILY
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FUND RAISING FOR THE ALAN SHEARING FAMILY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
As most of you know from prior posts on this forum -- Alan Shearing, (PH for Charlton McCallum) managed to get himself severely tossed by a Cape Buffalo several weeks ago. Since his encounter, he has been through several operations and thence recovering in and out of the Johannesburg hospital. As was noted in another AR thread, during this time period their son Kyle also became ill and had to also be hospitalized. Needless to say the Shearing family could use a bit of help to recover from the current series of events

Without further discussing the issues at hand, several individuals that have had the privilege of sharing an African adventure with Alan have stepped up to the bar and offered to help. I would also note that the first person to contact me and offer help had not actually hunted with Alan but had become aware of the issues at hand. He immediately offered assistance and mailed me a $500 check (which I have agreed to match) to help the Shearing family.

I am therefore extending a wish for assistance to the esteemed members of this forum to join in and contribute to the best of their abilities to help Alan, Rosy and their family get through this.

The current plan is to collect the funds through me and thence forward to Alan and his family. I have volunteered to collect the funds (you’re going to have to trust me on this one) thence transport the collected funds along with the appropriate get well greeting card to the Dallas Safari Club gala (I will list the individual contributors accordingly). The “package” will be handed off to a selected individual (I have someone in mind but need to clear with him) for conveyance directly to the Shearings. This is the current plan, which is subject to change, should we determine a “better” means of conveying the funds to Alan and Rosy.

Please contact me at gvwoodman@msn.com for my mailing information.

Thanks in advance to the members of this forum that are willing to assist in helping the Shearing family get through this issue.

I am sure that we all wish Alan many more hunts and African sunsets while enjoying a fireside sundowner.

Regards,
Garry

For those that are so inclined – I will be at the Dallas Safari Club convention and the AR diner gala on Sat night should you wish to contribute at that time and will have a card there for personalized messages to Alan.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
If somebody has a better idea as to how to collect the $ and thence to deliver it without complications to the Shearing family --- please feel free to let me know as I am open to suggestions. The above approach was what I came up with but feel free to comment if there is a better method.

In the for what it is worth column -- we are starting to make progress with the $"s
Thanks
Garry

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Shearings have a bank account in England that accumulated donations could be directly wired to. That is how I tipped him a couple of years ago.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
See you at the DSC AR party with a buck or two.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will you be in Rena also?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's Reno. I am typing with one hand and holding my month old daughter in the other.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Big Bore --- thanks for the thought on the wire transfer -- I will look into that concept --- also -- will not be in Reno this year --- just Dallas

Judge -- you be da man -- as always -- see you in Dallas and stay off that Harley!

All other AR members --- come on guys!!--- we need some help here for one of our own as so to speak!!

Garry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the latest news in regards to the Shearing family?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Rosy -- (Alan's wife) has just posted as to Alan's current status on another thread -- based on what I know she is being on the positive side as to Alan's actual condition.

Please note that we are working on getting funds to them as rapidly as we can to help them out of their current problems --which quite honestly are considerable -- hopefully we will have a process in place to wire some $ to them in a few days --- thence will make another one when we have collecte the $ between now and Dallas.
Regards and thanks to those that have stepped up for the Shearing family
Garry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Mr. Shearing, but it's pretty clear he took a bad shellacking and his family is in need. Many of you guys helped us out when my daughter, Brittany, was involved in her accident nine months ago. I can neither repay your generosity, nor thank you enough--but I can pay it forward. I will contact Woodmanctry separately for mailing information.
Regards, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of man Craig Boddington is.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gary, See you in Dallas..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
For those that have contacted me and are in the process of sending $ --- on behalf of Alan and Rosy --- Thank you ----

For the rest that are for some reason waiting ---come on guys!!!!--- this is an individual and family from our African hunting community that really needs our help!

Please contact me at gvwoodman@msn.com

Pending recipt of promised funds I am planning on sending the first wire transfer the first of next week. I am doing this rather than wait till Dallas Safari Club in order to get some much needed $ into their hands. I will make additional wire transfers as funds are received.

Again – Thanks to all those that have --- and those that are going to help

Regards
Garry Woodman

posted Hide Post
On behalf of Alan, myself and our two precious boys we would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your concern and for trying to help us out during this very difficult time. Whether you have managed to contribute financially, emotionally or both your kindness and efforts are appreciated more than you will ever know.

Special thanks have to go to Garry Woodman, Jim McSwiggin and Kate & Ike Takumaro for taking it apon themselves to raise some funds for us. We really are in a financial pickle and is a very welcome and much appreciated Godsend.

Thank you dear friends - wherever you are.

With love from
The Shearing family

Alan is back in surgery this afternoon so will update you all once l know the outcome.

Posts: 21 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 03 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in ten books.

You send Woodmnctry 50 bucks and I'll mail you a copy of my book, on me.

Get Woodmnctry to notify me when he gets the money and you send me your address.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Will -- I first read this the wrong way -- my appologies --- thanks for your contribution -- I have your book (signed no less) and would comment that the book provides a great read authored someone that has been there and done it.
For those that want to take advantage of Will's offer -- send the $ and I will advise him accordingly
Regards
Garry

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Garry, Will may have a warped sense of humor Big Grin (that for better, or probably worse, I get!) but I'm sure he's sincere on this, which is a very nice offer and if anybody does not have Will's book it is an enjoyable read by "one of us" and this would be a wonderful way to get yourself a copy. He'll even sign it "with love" for you...or at least he did mine. Smiler

Keep your chins up Alan and Rosie, good days are just ahead. I'll be in touch before coming to Bulawayo in May to see if there is anything you or the kids need. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Count me in for what I can...

Hunted with Al in August...

My first safari and the time of my life...

I'll PM Monday from my office computer for more details...

Posting from I phone now...

Glad to see some one setting this up...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I'll throw in ten books.

Ten signed copies of a limited run book is a very generous donation indeed.

I've tried to contact the family 3 times but can't get through, but we're more than happy to advertise Will's donation or any other donation on our www.shakariconnection.com site and the buyers can pay into the fund direct and Will can send the book direct.

All I need is for the relevent parties to contact me.

posted Hide Post
Al was in surgery for some hours yesterday. Complications due to bowel having being cut askew in Zim and having to then be repaired once the colostomy was reversed. He is back in ICU and l spoke to him briefly last night. He is in a lot of pain but doing well. Waiting for the trauma surgeon to come in and see him. He sends everyone his best wishes and sincere thanks for your continued support -as do the boys and l

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
gvwoodman@msn.com

Garry,

I sent you an email...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Will -- pm sent we have a buyer for one of your books!
G

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
ttt

thanks for Alan.

time for the free-loaders to get with it, and get a free book to boot.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Garry,

Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of the Shearings. I've sent you a payment via Paypal earlier today. What a great option. Check you PM's for details.
Alan was my PH on my first elephant hunt in the Sanyati. Continued well wishes for his speedy recovery.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
ttt

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've sent you a payment via Paypal earlier today. What a great option.

Please PM me the Paypal details.

Thanks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
btt

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Will -- just sold another of your books!!-- Atta boy to you for this great offer!---

posted Hide Post
You folk are all truly amazing and Alan and l are so blessed by your kindness. You have made what would be an even more difficult and stressful time a lot easier. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We received some money from Garry which has helped us out so much already.

Alan is still in Trauma ICU. I have to admit l thought he would have been moved to a general ward a few days back but am grateful for the surgeons care and caution. Alan hopes to be moved into a general ward later today.

I think both Alan and l have been shocked that the worst pain has come now at the end of this ordeal. He has been in a lot of pain but l guess that comes with the territory when his bowel has not functioned properly for the last couple of months. He was allowed soup yesterday and might be allowed to start basic solid food today.

Hoping against hope that Alan will be able to come home for Christmas but we will take each day as it comes and "make a plan" accordingly!!

Thank you again but special mention has to go to Garry Woodman, Will, Ike and Kate and "Nuff Said" Jim. You deserve nothing but blessings and good fortune guys.

Will continue to update you all on Alans progress.

With our sincere thanks and best wishes
The Shearings
xxxx

posted Hide Post
Yay!!! Al out of ICU finally and in a general ward. He is so much better today and sounding so much more positive again. A big milestone. Hoping and praying he can come home next week for Christmas! With sincere thanks and best wishes to all xxxx

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
btt

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very glad to hear the latest updates. Hope he is able to somewhat enjoy his Christmas.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
ttt

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Sold another one --to---------OUPA

Big time thanks for your support of this fund raiser for the Shearing family

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
to the top

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been gored by a Cape Buffalo, surviving is a pretty good Christmas present. Having friends here who care; that makes it a wonderful Christmas!!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
ttt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garry,
PM sent.

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christmas giving at it's finest is
going on here. I'm not surprised.wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
btt