THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Your Best Advice for an African Hunter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Best Advice for an African Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have all benefited from this website and forum. I want to re-start an old topic -"If you could give one piece of advice to a hunter for Africa, what would it be?"

Here is mine -

1. Listen to your PH, shoot when he says shoot, watch when he says watch.

Next?

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let the trip unfold on its own,don't get caught up in lists of animals to be taken...

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it. It should be a dream come true, so savour every moment.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do it now! Don't wait.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overpack. 3 shirts and 2 pair of pants, thats it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take time at the end of each day to think of what you have experienced and what your regular day would have been like, if you had not given your self the opportunity to be free from the restraints placed on you by day to day living.
Take the time to think about the smells and remember them, to think about the new flavors and savor them. Take the time to think back to the moment before the shot when you knew that the bullet would fly true and take the time to relish the thrill of the chase and the quiet moment after the adrenalin fades.
If you can do that and carry with you these snippets of your experience then I dare say that your next safari will come that much quicker and the wait will be that much less painful.
Good hunting
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stolen from Ray...

Put your "Givashitter" in neutral.

In other words, try not to sweat the small stuff and make the best of it.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Book through a reputable agent with lots of African expereince.

2. Use a travel agaent that is intimately familiar with African travel and travel with guns.

3. Book as many days as you possibly can afford.

4. Do not book your safari based mostly on price. Safaris are not like used cars. If a safari is really cheap there probably is a reason for that.

5. Don't get yourself in a position where you have to justify the safari cost by the body count at safari's end.

6. Most important: Relax and enjoy the safari. Africa itself is such a magic place you need to allow yourself to drink in the experience of just being there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
GO!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Do your research properly. (That is soon to become much easier) Wink

Buy the best quality hunt you can afford.

If you ask advice of someone, make sure they know what they're talking about and don't have an axe to grind before taking that advice.

Don't come with a shopping list.

Take each day as it comes and don't fret when something like a bad shot happens. - Instead concentrate on correcting the error.

Enjoy the successes. Smiler

Don't hunt for the tape measure.

Don't bring a tape measure.

Hunt for the joy and thrill of hunting.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
1/ book the best place you can possibly afford
2/choose who you are going to ask for advice and then listen to that advice
the rest has been covered above , one thing i would add , is when you get on the ground , as soon as you make a shot RELOAD and be ready iof you need for a second shot ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Take more pictures of absolutely everything. It will make the rememberances that much better. Even the most insignificent can trigger memories that will overwhelm.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Enjoy yourself, for there are no words, books, movies or photographs that can truly emulate the experiences of Africa. It really is a land that offers you the sights, smells and sounds you've never imagined.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Turn the date and time feature OFF on your camera cause you don't want that on the coffee table book of pictures you will make on www.blurb.com Take a spare camera battery also. All of the above are experience based!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
On a practical level:

Take quiet boots.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Get in good shape. Start long in advance of the trip. Getting run down physically takes the fun out of things. As you get on a track, you don't want the PH (and you!) wondering if you'll make it.

2. Shoot a lot before trip. If this is your first trip, try to use old familiar rifle(s), The combination of practice and a familiar rifle will decrease your worrying about making shots and you'll enjoy yourself more.

3. As previously mentioned, relax and enjoy! When you're relaxed, things just seem to fall into place.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Learn as much as you can about the animals you will be hunting and add $5,000 to whatever your budget is.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Relax! Roll with it, shit happens so don't get your panties in a knot over it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
1. Decide what animals you want to hunt before you go but remember to be opportunistic if possible and take good trophies as they present themselves and are on quota.

2. Leave the tape measure at home and enjoy hunting for the purity of the sport and taking mature animals by fair chase methods.

3. Use enough gun, take enough bullets and be thoroughly competent with your chosen rifle.

4. Travel light. There are a number of good lists available on what to take.

5. Roll with the flow. It's Africa, baby, and from the flight over to the flight back something will not go as planned and that is what makes it an adventure...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meet your PH before your hunt. Take him to dinner.
Understand what he thinks is a good trophy for the area your hunting

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1-Don't get too excited. 2-Tip the meat people and cook with cash before the end of the trip(my secret).3-Enjoy Yourself

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, something unexpected will happen; relax and enjoy someone else changing the tire. On a very practical note - wet wipes and imodium (sp?). Some things always seem to happen in the very deep and thorny bush.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I agree with most everything said, with a small exception. I would say that references from clients, especially experienced clients and repeat clients, are a much better gauge of the quality of an outfit than price alone. You don't always get what you pay for. Outfits that are geared for non American clients can have some unbelievable deals. But I digress......

The best advice I can give is: Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will decide how much you enjoy your hunt. Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure."

Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

A client's positive attitude is the most important ingredient for a sucessful safari.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not necessary to make your first hunt a plains game only hunt. Prices are really going up on the dangerous animals. Fourteen years ago when I made my first trip I could have hunted lion for about $14K. Look at today. I shot a sable and my trophy fee was less than $1K. Today a sable is three or four times that. Include buffalo on your first hunt and you'll be glad you did. A PAC elephant hunt would be a wonderful way to start also. The plains game comes along with the dangerous game hunts so if you can afford a little more go for it.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take toilet paper if planning to be out all day. moon

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
LOTS of good advice

I would add, try to spend your first arrival day and night, and next morning, in a hotel resting up from the long flight. Worse thing is to arrive run down. Your first morning hunting you will be up at 4:30, or earlier, and go til at least 9 pm.

Worse thing is to get ill- happened to me 3-4 times, and my son was ill, shortened the trip AND he spent a week in bed and missed a week of school, which really hurt him.

Better to arrive in the afternoon, go to a hotel, have a nice dinner and crash for 12 hours or so, then get up when you want, have a big breakfast, and then off to the hunting area.

Europeans and others may be at an advantage here with a flight of about 10 hours, vs 10 hrs for Americans plus you connection time.

When I was on the west coast, it was up at 3 am to be at airport by 4:30 for 6 am flight to Atlanta. Catch the Atlanta Jo-Burg flight after a 3 hour layover, fly 20 hours, and greet your PH after 40 hours or so with no real sleep.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that I can add any more.

Here is what we do, as we go in a relatively large party of between 6 and 8 hunters.

Our sole aim is to have a good time, bearing in mind that with so many participants, screw ups would occur more often than not.

So each of us is actively involved in helping and abating all the others to make mistakes! That adds to the fun all of us have.

Enjoy EVERYTHING! And I do mean EVERYTHING.

Even the things you would normaly try your best to avoid on a hunt.

Like having a flat tire every other day.
Like being stranded 25 ks from camp with a broken truck as the sun goes down.
Like the buffalo herd who were not informed of your plans, and instead of going over a mountain range and meeting you on the other side, they decided to turn back and head to where they came from before. You, of course, have already sent the truck to the other side of the mountain, and your driver is happily waiting for you there until night fall. And then you have to walk back to camp at night!

All this is part of hunting, and I can assure you you will look back at it in the futures, and enjoy it almost as much!

Now, if we can just get the animals we hunt into our plans, things would work like a charm!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
There is nothing of value that I can add. So the best that I can do now is to repeat Blacktailers' advice: "GO!" Big Grin

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Do your research properly. (That is soon to become much easier) Wink

shakari,

I know you are working on something new and big. Care to give us a small bit of info or hint on how the researching will become easier? Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sense of humour.
Reliable weapon and ammo.
Good pair of well worn in boots.
A camel back is a must.
Did I mention a sense of humour.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Shhhhhhhhh! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
GREAT subject for a 1st timer! Thanks to all that contributed.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Live and breathe Africa. Saeed: thumb Look at all of Walter's screw-ups and how all of us enjoy the reports on the same!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot ugly animals. They’ll grow on you later.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Hunt Cape buffalo on your first safari (and all the others after that).

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Safari Hunter:
Shoot ugly animals. They’ll grow on you later.

Funny you mention that.

Our intention is to start a new Forum, purely for that.

We are going to call it the Out Circle!

In fact, I will put a new thread about it right now.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There is a tendency in the US to shoot and then just watch to see what transpires.

Follow Ivan's advice and learn to instantly reload after every shot.

Mostly it boils down to money, like everything else. You get the biggest horns, the biggest leopard, the biggest ivory etc. by going to the the best areas. You too can be the biggest, baddest African hunter if you have the money to buy it!

And follow 465H&H's advice. Just go. Before you're too old to do it.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
ITS NOT A FUCKING SUPERMARKET there is no pre planned order of how animals will be taken if a opportunity presents it self take it it might never come again Wink

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take me!!!!!!
rotflmo

have good hunt hilbily

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Savor every minute and enjoy the experience without fretting about trophy quality.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote