THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    We Have Given Our Shooting Tunnel A Makeover

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Have Given Our Shooting Tunnel A Makeover
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
The close end of our shooting tunnel had some sound absorbing tiles installed in the first few feet.

They have been working fine, but, the ones on the floor started to crack and break up.

This material is made of some sort of concrete but very porous, and light.

We decided to replace it, and put in a new material which we home will be better sound absorbing.

The new material is very light, it seems to be made of some straw material glued together, and it really works much better than the old tiles.

These tiles are attached to battens, with insulating material between them and the concret wall.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the back stop consist of?

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

Have you looked into using Maltese stone for lining the tunnel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Can you please give us a rough make up of the whole thing, - sizes, wall thickness and materials, lighting, sound proofing etc.
I find the whole concept very interesting.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saaed,

It looks cool, but can I ask why the lights along the tunnel as opposed to just one on the target.

thanks,

Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We originally had a tunnel of about 35 yards, the extended it to 100 yards.

That is the rrasn for the different dimensions.

The first part up to 35 yards is 35 inches wide by 46 inches high.

The rest of it, the width is the same, but the hight is 85 inches.

The backstop is sand bags. We replace the bags as they get shot and destroyed.

We have two extractor fans, one at 35 yards and one at 100 yards. There is a door in sort of chimney at the end, through which we replace the sand.

Lights are put at different distances because we have targets for shorter ranges - as in air rifle and 22 rimfire, as well as pistol shooting

The actual basement is divided into two parts. One part is enclosed in double glazing, and all shooting is done in that section.

The rest of the room is used for loading, and one can carry on a normal conversation there while shooting is going on on the other side.

This makes load development very easy. As we can load one load, shoot it and see what the results are before loading another one.

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now all you need is a big padded backstop for those that chose to shoot the trex

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are thinking the next one who shoots the T.Rex will be wearing roller blades rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We are thinking the next one who shoots the T.Rex will be wearing roller blades rotflmo

Big Grin

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I saw only one guy wearing shoes. The others were barefoot or in socks. What's going on over there?
Looks great

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want one!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Me too! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor is putting one in when he builds his house next to mine. It better be quiet.

Denver used to have an underground shooting range at a gun store; not sure if they are still in business. You could make one yourself by buying some concrete pipe and then burying it. You would change targets from above ground at the end of the tunnel.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want one. I just want to live next door to Saeed so I can shoot with him in his.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with a shooting tunnel is limited to just one ,somewhere in CO years ago. The problem was turbulance which created a sighting problem after a few rounds .Do your fans eliminate that problem ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, to live the life of luxury, with my own 100-yard shooting tunnel ... I'll dream on that. tu2

... From my cold, dead hands,
... or when I go blind,
... but I will keep the shotguns if just blind.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The material could be areated concrete. Amazing stuff - real concrete with tiny air bubbles in it. The whole thing actually floats on water but is structurally strong and sound proof to the extent that a loud speaker at full blast inside a 3 foot X 3 foot box cannot be heard outside! Exceptional insulation from heat / cold too.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
My experience with a shooting tunnel is limited to just one ,somewhere in CO years ago. The problem was turbulance which created a sighting problem after a few rounds .Do your fans eliminate that problem ?

We have not experienced any of this here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
The material could be areated concrete. Amazing stuff - real concrete with tiny air bubbles in it. The whole thing actually floats on water but is structurally strong and sound proof to the extent that a loud speaker at full blast inside a 3 foot X 3 foot box cannot be heard outside! Exceptional insulation from heat / cold too.

Sounds like the same sort of stuff that used to come out of Coal powered Power stations.

I think it was ash, Great lumps of it, light grey in colour but light as a feather and floats.

Agree re good sound insulation and protection from heat /cold.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tunnel Turbulence clears out fast with good fans:

Three-shot group number 7 that day, I pulled one:
Thanks for the memories, Mitch Carter, my Obi-Wan Kenobi.

... or when I go blind,
... but I will keep the shotguns if only blind.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The funny part was that both Heckler & Koch and Browning quoted a very silly price for supplying sound proof material when we built this tunnel.

We decided to do our own research, and settled on this concrete type material.

Another funny part was FN Browing were given the job of building a shooting range for the police.

They decided to go the hi-tech route.

They used what they called "special steel" plates, placed at 45 degree angle downwards. They specifically stated this will stop calibers "up to 7.62 military ammo".

When they finished the job, I went to have a look. There were three engineers there who did the installation.

We had a discussion about these steel plates, and they insisted that ANY caliber smaller than 7.62 will NOT penetrate them.

I went and got a 220 Swift, and fired 3 shots from 35 meters - that was the length of the range.

The Swift bullets drilled clean holes through the plates, and the look on the engineers faces was absolutely PRICELESS!

On another occassion, we had an American gentleman here selling bullet proof goods.

These included a clipboard that he said will stop ANY handgun bullet.

We fired a 9mm at it, and were very surprised that all one could see of the bullet effect on the clipboard was a very tiny dent.

Again, I asked him if I could try another pistol I had.

I fired a 45-70 cast lead bullet load at it from a T/C Contender.

The clipboard went to pieces!

There was a wragged hole in it, the rivets holding the clip came appart, and the wooden handle broke!

He said "That is not a handgun. That is a hand cannon!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Priceless times two. animal

Saeed,
Have you done any copper recycling from the sandbags?
Could soon amount to a pretty penny. Wink

... or when I go blind,
... but I will keep the shotguns if just blind.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The funny part was that both Heckler & Koch and Browning quoted a very silly price for supplying sound proof material when we built this tunnel.

We decided to do our own research, and settled on this concrete type material.

Another funny part was FN Browing were given the job of building a shooting range for the police.

They decided to go the hi-tech route.

They used what they called "special steel" plates, placed at 45 degree angle downwards. They specifically stated this will stop calibers "up to 7.62 military ammo".

When they finished the job, I went to have a look. There were three engineers there who did the installation.

We had a discussion about these steel plates, and they insisted that ANY caliber smaller than 7.62 will NOT penetrate them.

I went and got a 220 Swift, and fired 3 shots from 35 meters - that was the length of the range.

The Swift bullets drilled clean holes through the plates, and the look on the engineers faces was absolutely PRICELESS!

On another occassion, we had an American gentleman here selling bullet proof goods.

These included a clipboard that he said will stop ANY handgun bullet.

We fired a 9mm at it, and were very surprised that all one could see of the bullet effect on the clipboard was a very tiny dent.

Again, I asked him if I could try another pistol I had.

I fired a 45-70 cast lead bullet load at it from a T/C Contender.

The clipboard went to pieces!

There was a wragged hole in it, the rivets holding the clip came appart, and the wooden handle broke!

He said "That is not a handgun. That is a hand cannon!"

Great story, I would have enjoyed seeing that!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

We are in the process of building our shooting tunnel which will be in the basement of our new shop. Length will be 50 yds and we will also have an exhaust system. I'll be interested to hear how your sound attenuation works. I'm still looking at different systems now. We'll be shooting everything up to the 600 OK and our .700 in it. Can't wait.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice Saeed. Have any ladies come to conquer the T-Rex yet?

~Ann

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
Saeed,

We are in the process of building our shooting tunnel which will be in the basement of our new shop. Length will be 50 yds and we will also have an exhaust system. I'll be interested to hear how your sound attenuation works. I'm still looking at different systems now. We'll be shooting everything up to the 600 OK and our .700 in it. Can't wait.

I am out of the country right now, when I get back, I will give you details of the material we are using.

Ann,

Many ladies have shot the T.Rex, they handle it better than their husbands or boy friends! clap

The men, being the strong, macho type, get a load to suit their character.

250 grains of powder.

The ladies, being gentle creatures, get a load of 50 grains of powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, what we call "visitors loads" !!!

Always puts a smile on the shooters face !

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote