THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tips for September Hunt in Mozambique

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for September Hunt in Mozambique
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Folks,

Any "need to knows" for hunting in Mozambique in September in relation to:

1. Weather
2. Shorts vs Pants
3. Short vs Long sleeves
4. Insect repellants/tips
5. Is camo legal or illegal
6. Ammo limitations
7. Etc.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin- I would be able to do both long and short sleeve. Permethion in the brand name of REPEL is what I have used on clothing. There should be some info on that here-search for it. I would take some hydrating salts for your water. I "bonked" in August and am in OK shape. Camo was not an issue.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What about ammunition? I have heard different requirements. I will be on American and then SAA. Specifically, can you carry ammunition in the same case as your rifle? Also, I wanted to repack the ammo in some smaller plastic cases that custom loaders use. If I print up custom labels for these, will it pass scrutiny? I will be repackaging Remington and Federal ammo.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,
Welcome to AR. I think you will find a wealth of experience and information to draw on to help you prepare for your trip(s) to Africa.

My first bit of advice would be to read T. Carr's Tips and Packing List and Traveling with a Firearm threads in Hunt Reports - Africa. You will find answers to many of your questions there.

Though I haven't hunted Moz in September, I have hunted Zim in August, Namibia in September and Tanzania in November and can tell you that generally it is warm to hot in the mid-day hours. I personally hunt in shorts...however many who post here do not...it is a personal choice but I find shorts cooler and haven't had a problem with them in thorns, bugs, etc.

I do take both short and long sleeve shirts but find I usually hunt in long sleeves. More versatile. Rolled down for cool morning and afternoon rides to and from camp, rolled up as the temps warm.

Don't know exactly where in Moz you are hunting but tetse flies and mosquitos are or could be a problem...Avon Skin so Soft has a cult following here. And with good reason, it works for me. Trying searching for threads on this.

Don't know about camo in Moz but if in doubt wear dark kahkis and greens. They always are in style in the bush!

Ammo, depending on what you are hunting 40 softs/20 solids per rifle. If a plains game rifle 40 to 60 rounds should work...

I hope you have a great trip whether it is your first or one of many...

Good hunting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on where you are hunting but you are still likely to get rain, I did in the middle of Sept. Take twice as much repellent as you think you need, just because of tsetse & mosq. The Avon does work well, but has to be applied often. I did & would hunt long pants/shirts. Take a pair of boots for the swamp if you may be hunting in a swampy area. Those bug jacket/hood combos from Cabela's would be a life saver in some areas, wish I would have had one.
I had problems w/ the SAA people on my transfer to Moz. I had brought one rifle in a takedown case in a duffle & was told to remove the case from the duffle & the case had to travel separate. Sort of defeated the whole idea of a single case. If you are trasnfering through RSA & staying the night, you will have to get the SAPs paper work done & a RSA gun permit.
The Moz. hunting areas can be really thick, but you'll have a good hunt in close cover if after buffalo. Good luck!

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote