THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Affordable adventure. Kafue Flats/Luangwa Valley
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Affordable adventure. Kafue Flats/Luangwa Valley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
I have a plan.

Last year I invited a couple of characters attached to the US military to help out with a venture deep into the unknown, one of Africa’s vast wetlands the Kafue Flats of Zambia. The hunt was a great success and some very big Lechwe were taken, one trophy exceeding anything that we have taken in the past ten years of safari hunting. The hunting was fairly tough and we got dirty. Dig back into the hunting reports ‘Kafue Flats report’ and the hunt and venue was well detailed there.

Note Lechwe in the background.

Zambia has witnessed exceptional rains this year and the Kafue river is flooding which will saturate the Flats pushing the Lechwe into the shallower margins. For me these are ideal conditions to hunt really big Lechwe. No operator is going to venture into this watery morass before June or July until the water has receded. Note that the hunting of Lechwe is typically done from a safari car.

But I know that the Lechwe will be congregated on the edges of these watery margins and will seek the higher and drier grounds. My theory is take advantage of this and go in early, May? Sod the car.

What I am thinking is that there are many here on AR that could probably not afford a safari into remote Africa due to a number of factors but mainly being the high cost of daily rates and trophy fees. But if I could get a group together of lets say 4 - 6 individuals who would effectively share the main costs and who are prepared to relinquish some of the luxuries of a modern day safari then this would be an affordable opportunity to share this adventure? And beside there is only one trophy fee to consider?

Before I plan the details of such a safari my thoughts are that this would incur seven days in Zambia and probably five full days hunting the Flats. The other two would be arrival/departure, shopping, travel and getting our act together.

This needs some constructive input from AR in order for me to finalize a package and indeed sort out the nitty gritty of such a hunt. What would be your concerns? Is it worth coming to Africa for one animal? It would be restricted to AR members (one of us). This sort of hunting would have very little structure as no other hunter one that I know of has been into the flats in full flood. We would probably have to hire canoes from local fishermen and the tented base camp would be very basic. I could not guarantee ice in your gin and tonic for the full duration of the safari. There will be no waiter to mix your favorite tipple and you will have to muck in with some of the chores. I will bring a chef and a couple of right hand men to help with the arduous work and the recovery of the Lechwe. Myself and another PH will be targeting 30 inch plus animals and looking for that big one. The Flats offers excellent wing shooting for a host of wild fowl for those interested in this sport.

Once I have addressed the considerations of this idea and if there is sufficient interest I will then advertise it here on AR which will include full details of itinerary, individual rates, contracts etc.

One of the cost I cannot get around is the individual cost of dip & pack and freight of trophies. Memories and good photographs (professional) is one option? The other is I could have a word with my exporter and see if we could get a group discount. Like wise the trophies could go to one taxidermist.

What do you think?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Brilliant idea! Great names thing alike!

I would join if there was any way to make it possible. Need someone to help?

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew
I may be very interested in this after all the details ie. cost, who else is going, exact dates, etc. is finalized and all the details are hashed out for the trip.

Looks like a grand time and would be right up my alley.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Andrew
I may be very interested in this after all the details ie. cost, who else is going, exact dates, etc. is finalized and all the details are hashed out for the trip.

Looks like a grand time and would be right up my alley.

Scottyboy,

The individuals should be relatively fit and will probably have to walk in swamp conditions. However this is not an endurance test and we will hunt to compliment each others capabilities. The size of the trophy will be relative to the time and effort you put into the hunt. Those who want good representative will score high twenties quite easily. Your thirty plus you will have to work for.

If I have enough interest then I may well do two safaris back to back?

I am looking first week of May as it would be critical to get in whilst the flood waters are high.

The PH's would be me and Thor Kirchner of Munyamadzi. I could probably get a mate of mine a superb chef to come along. Good food and beverages are a must.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
Brilliant idea! Great names thing alike!

I would join if there was any way to make it possible. Need someone to help?

Andrew McLaren

Sure you can help out but with possibly six hunters and staff there would be very little space left in the vehicles.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Just had a word with our exporter who is willing to reduce the standard $1500 Dip & Pack charge to $800 per person (min 5 pax) with possibly another $100 saving if the trophies go to one destination.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome trophy and it looks like a great destination, Andrew.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I would be very interested in the deal if I have the time open. Would it be possible to do the dip and pack myself for exprot to Namibia's Caprivi? (Same possible diseases...)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
Andrew, I would be very interested in the deal if I have the time open. Would it be possible to do the dip and pack myself for exprot to Namibia's Caprivi? (Same possible diseases...)

Probably and depending on the quarantine time? Documentation including an export permit and vet certificate have to be issued this side and that is quite a bit of running around. Maybe get it delivered to Livingstone for you to collect?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who do I have to kill to be able to join??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
interesting

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By all means, chase the details and let us know!

"..."The Flats offers excellent wing shooting for a host of wild fowl for those interested in this sport."tu2 Great fun and good eating as well.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
I will be in Zimb until the second of May so it sounds like a perfect topping to my Zimb safari. Excellent. Details,details.
Thanks for this fantastic opportunity. I may well jump in. Smiler

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly the type of hunting I love to do. Hard, non-luxury, and almost impossible to find as a non resident hunting in Africa.

YES!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwarf416:
I will be in Zimb until the second of May so it sounds like a perfect topping to my Zimb safari. Excellent. Details,details.
Thanks for this fantastic opportunity. I may well jump in. Smiler

diego,

You would have to reschedule your flights.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Who do I have to kill to be able to join??

- mike

Person number 6.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I will be posting this opportunity shortly however it will not be on an individual first come first served basis but rather teams that can finalize their complex travel arrangements.

Like I said I am prepared to do a couple of safaris to meet the demand if need be.

Note that guns can be also be shared or I can lend you a suitable caliber if need be?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, you may already have this issue under control, but just in case: field preparation of trophies and avoiding hairslip until capes can get to taxidermist??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I love the idea and have the fitness level and low maintenance attitude for such a hunt. Unfortunately, time will not allow it this year.

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Fairgame, you may already have this issue under control, but just in case: field preparation of trophies and avoiding hairslip until capes can get to taxidermist??

- mike

No worries. We will have a skinner and the weather will be dry and the trophies will be delivered to our local taxidermist/exporter Mike Borman on our return to Lusaka.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
What are the dates so I can re schedule flights.Thanks

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be getting old....I prefer the machan the locals called the Colonial Blind because they waded chest deep water and towed the boat I rode in. (That was for Sitatunga not Kafue Lechwe but it applies!)

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very much interested, and able to travel on short notice. Please include me on your contact list.

And.....I'll buy the first several rounds of liquor at the bar, after the hunt!

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Chaps,

I have posted details and costs on 'Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts'. See AR KAFUE FLATS LECHWE HUNT

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
I am very much interested, and able to travel on short notice. Please include me on your contact list.

And.....I'll buy the first several rounds of liquor at the bar, after the hunt!

Will remember that and might stick it in your contract.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
Must be getting old....I prefer the machan the locals called the Colonial Blind because they waded chest deep water and towed the boat I rode in. (That was for Sitatunga not Kafue Lechwe but it applies!)

Can be arranged?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
In addition I have had some queries about other possible species and am now considering an add on whereas the group or part of (minimum 3) could move onto Luangwa and split a PG hunt? This is viable because Munyamadzi does not pay the hefty concession fees attached to the government concessions.

If some could not afford the hunting they could always join us as observers?

The whole concept is to offer those a wild Africa opportunity at an affordable price.

The Luangwa deal needs some thought on my side but I was thinking of offering each AR member one common antelope including species such as Puku, Kudu, Waterbuck, Grysbok etc And each could take an Impala and try their hand at hunting one of those big Chacma baboon males.

Food for thought?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew

I will be interested maybe you can do a ar american hunting and maybe a south african namibia guys together i can organize a few guys from this side and we like it ruff and tuff hope you guys can handle us.What about a chobe bushbuck anywhere on the flats?

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Luangwa deal needs some though on my side but I was thinking of offering each AR member one common antelope specie including species such as Puku, Kudu, Waterbuck, Grysbok etc And each could take an Impala and try their hand at hunting one of those big Chacma baboon males.

Now you're talking!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man this trip sounds great. I wish my knees were 10 yrs younger. Jealouse doesnt even start to describe it. Good Hunting Guys.
SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Man this trip sounds great. I wish my knees were 10 yrs younger. Jealouse doesnt even start to describe it. Good Hunting Guys.
SSR

Ain't that the truth! Man, that's a sweet opportunity...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
SSR

Bollocks,

I can have my right hand man Green pole you through the wetland and knowing him (being a better hunter than I) you will end up with an experience and trophy of your dreams.

I will split the team into two and divide the hunt accordingly. I see the fitter members pushing and dragging the canoes through the mire. You duty will be confined to the bar at the end of the day.

Confirm that you know a finger of whiskey is actually the length of the digit rather than the width?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:
SSR

Ain't that the truth! Man, that's a sweet opportunity...

Ditto.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
SSR

Bollocks,

I can have my right hand man Green pole you through the wetland and knowing him (being a better hunter than I) you will end up with an experience and trophy of your dreams.

I will split the team into two and divide the hunt accordingly. I see the fitter members pushing and dragging the canoes through the mire. You duty will be confined to the bar at the end of the day.

Confirm that you know a finger of whiskey is actually the length of the digit rather than the width?

Not only confirm that but whiskey means singlemalt

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luan:
Andrew

I will be interested maybe you can do a ar american hunting and maybe a south african namibia guys together i can organize a few guys from this side and we like it ruff and tuff hope you guys can handle us.What about a chobe bushbuck anywhere on the flats?

Luan

Luan,

Good idea. The quota is only for Lechwe and some Zebra which occur on the Flats much later. If you chaps bring a car and some grub I am sure we can sort you out a good deal.

The swamps hold monster crocodiles, hippo, buffalo etc but there is no quota which is a great pity because the crocs are enormous. However all these mentioned animals are much deeper into the Flats than where will be. Not even fishermen venture there.

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Enclosed is a map of a small potion of the Flats and the map is some 80 - 90 kilometers across.

The Kafue River is absorbed into a massive wetland

I doubt we will breach the bottom of this map.

Might try in October though?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
SSR

Bollocks,

Not only confirm that but whiskey means singlemalt

No problem but suggest you bring your own.

Ever wonder what was in that steel box tucked behind the seat of a PH's car?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have read through this closer. Andrew, as I stated in my PM, later in the year is my preference but if you need someone to fill out a May date let me know and I can probably make it work.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Andrew Mclaren has kindly offered to come up and will be in charge of trophy skinning and field preparation.

Thanks Andrew.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:

You duty will be confined to the bar at the end of the day.

Fairgame......now thats my kind of Safari!! Your idea sounds excellent and right up my alley. Hard work after an elusive quarry. R u ever in Zim. I have big glasses in my Pub!!

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote