New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going To Chirisa!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am booked in late August for buff and plains game. I will probably be using my CZ 458 Win Mag with 500gr TSX bullets.The hunt will be captured on video.My PH will be Alan Shearing.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Great, you will have a wonderful time.

Are you still intending to try out your high shoulder shot on the buffalo?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes,offhand with iron sights

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shootaway,

Best of luck on your hunt. The view from the abandoned ranger's station will stay with you forever. Give my best to the two Apprentice PHs Phillip and Mitchell.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi! I'll look forward to that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway:

Your post caught my eye because of mention of Chirisa. It's where I took my buff in my one and only hunt to Africa (regrettably) My reason for writing is that apparently you and mJines have a discussion going about a "high shoulder shot". I had my buff turning at about 35 yards and I put a 300 gr. solid from a 375 H&H exactly on the point of his shoulder. He staggered and went almost to his knees. I knew, even though I had never fired at a buff in my life before that he was mortally wounded. Fact. (He staggered about 40 yards and collapsed. (My PH told me that the trackers were delirious with joy -because this was the first hunt of the season(May) and that in the previous season that clients had failed to "plant" the buff for nine straight times -requiring tracking through vlei - and I guess the guys were suffering some "combat fatigue". Smiler My whole point is that you should stick with that shoulder shot. (The only shooting advice I got from my PH in camp was - "Break bones". It sure worked for me)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say same as Kathi.
I think Phil is now doing some video recording, maybe he will join your hunt, you will be happy to have him in your team, such a nice person and outstanding hunter.
And don´t forget to ask the camp manager to tell you the story about how to make the baboons go down of a tree ;-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,it was a pleasure reading your post.I am starting to get excited about the trip. I'll stick with what I learned from years of hunting caribou and go with the high shoulder shot.But,even a well placed shot is nothing without the proper bullet from a well maintained bore. Right know I am enjoying the look on peoples faces when I tell them I'am going on a african safari! I might drop the TSX for a Woodleigh FMJ.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spanishhunter:
I can say same as Kathi.
I think Phil is now doing some video recording, maybe he will join your hunt, you will be happy to have him in your team, such a nice person and outstanding hunter.
And don´t forget to ask the camp manager to tell you the story about how to make the baboons go down of a tree ;-)
Thanks spanishhunter,I won't forget to ask him that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway:

Be prepared for what your PH may want you to use -whether solid or SP for your first round in chamber - I made sure to sight in (and to practice offhand) with both - so that I knew points of impact at 50 yards with both. (I was fortunate that my Ruger African handled both well with only very slight variance. My PH nonetheless made me show him (resting on the hood of the Toyota Landcruiser). Yes, I think he really wanted to make sure that I was not afraid of my rifle! Smiler The best of luck to you! I truly envy you.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
shootaway,

I was the last hunter in camp in 2007 hunting late November to early December. Do you know which camp you will be staying at (they have 3, I was based out of the Nyati camp)? Chiwonde Point/Lookout which Kathi referenced in her message is in fact spectacular. Make sure you have at least one lunch up there. Also, you can glass a ton of game from there. We spotted one ele that ultimately was not big enough and spotted the buffalo I eventually shot from the Point. Good luck!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shootaway,

There is a baobab tree in Chirisa that is hollow like a cave inside. You crawl through a small opening and inside the tree on the ceiling there are numerous bats hanging upside down waiting for darkness. Ask Alan to take you to see it.

Also, the bird hunting is fantastic there (just in case you are interested).

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting, you may want to rethink that high shoulder shot. Mine was a little high, not as high as you suggest, and it took 4 more to put the Buffalo down.
Never the less, have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc Watts likes the high shoulder/spine or neck shot and seems to do pretty well.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanahile:
shootaway,

I was the last hunter in camp in 2007 hunting late November to early December. Do you know which camp you will be staying at (they have 3, I was based out of the Nyati camp)? Chiwonde Point/Lookout which Kathi referenced in her message is in fact spectacular. Make sure you have at least one lunch up there. Also, you can glass a ton of game from there. We spotted one ele that ultimately was not big enough and spotted the buffalo I eventually shot from the Point. Good luck!
Bwanahile,I don't know at which camp I will be staying. I might bring a Lott along instead of the Win Mag.I am really looking forward to everything,even the plane ride.It looks as if I will be flying from Montreal then out from Washington D.C on the 12th of August.I was told they have local South African wine at camp.I guess that must be good!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
Good hunting, you may want to rethink that high shoulder shot. Mine was a little high, not as high as you suggest, and it took 4 more to put the Buffalo down.
Never the less, have a great time and take lots of pictures.
Thanks Terry. This is one trip on which I will not leave the camera at home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do have SA wine in HHK camps. I guess I have finished off a couple of cases of it and it is excellent.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just visited with Alan today. His last 2 clients took a nice PAC bull and a tuskless. The tuskless was taken four hours into the first day! Eeker That's a far cry from my experience last year. You almost feel cheated when that happens but you take the ele whenever you can find the right one.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It looks as if I will be flying from Montreal then out from Washington D.C on the 12th of August.

You'd be way better off avoiding a stop-over in the US. As far as I am aware, its still not technically legal for a Canadian citizen to transit the US with firearms....even if you never take possession of them.

People do it, but they are rolling the dice.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
It looks as if I will be flying from Montreal then out from Washington D.C on the 12th of August.

You'd be way better off avoiding a stop-over in the US. As far as I am aware, its still not technically legal for a Canadian citizen to transit the US with firearms....even if you never take possession of them.

Cheers,
Canuck
Thanks Canuck,you saved me alot of trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway
I will be hunting the same place first week of August this year for buff ,I can't wait hope a get a good one and will post when I get back
good luck

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
Shootaway
I will be hunting the same place first week of August this year for buff ,I can't wait hope a get a good one and will post when I get back
good luck
Good luck to you too zhaba.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I just visited with Alan today. His last 2 clients took a nice PAC bull and a tuskless. The tuskless was taken four hours into the first day! Eeker That's a far cry from my experience last year. You almost feel cheated when that happens but you take the ele whenever you can find the right one.
Hey yukon,what's it like hunting with Alan?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cheers,
Canuck
I called ATF today and straightened the whole thing out.I was told by the supervisor that since I am not a US citizen I do not need an export permit.What I need is my flight itinerary and a letter of ivitation.This is good news.It took at least 10 phone calls to get through to the right person.Here is the no.304 616-4590

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
shootaway I have seen the shot placement you advocate, and I would offer this advice! Make it very clear to your PH where you intend shooting that buffalo, so he can advise you on the proper placement. Lives depend on that first shot on occasion, not just your's but that of everyone in the party! Eeker

Good luck on your safari, I have a feeling you're going to need it! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers,
Canuck
I called ATF today and straightened the whole thing out.I was told by the supervisor that since I am not a US citizen I do not need an export permit.What I need is my flight itinerary and a letter of ivitation.This is good news.It took at least 10 phone calls to get through to the right person.Here is the no.304 616-4590

Interesting. I sent you a PM with the particulars. Sounds like they probably haven't fixed the law, or created a permit to address the situation, but are instead managing it by ignoring the law.

I still wouldn't do it myself, but I have heard of more and more guys transiting the US with firearms. Perhaps the airlines put some pressure on the State Department to ignore this one (which is effectively what was happening prior to 9/11).

The problem is, and really always was, what happens if you happen to get a Customs Agent that doesn't like firearms, and feels every non-resident alien with a firearm should have a permit for it? Its technically against the law for you to have possession of a firearm on US soil without an import permit, and one does not exist for you if you are then exporting it to a country other than the one of origin. As long as they ignore that fact, you are OK. Get the wrong guy/gal asking too many questions about it and you may not be!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, a suggestion to make arrangements for Alan to have access to a backup rifle and ammo just in case, regardless of your flight plans. And talk with him about shot placement, you don't want your PH shooting your buff if you can help it!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Here is hoping your experience will make you wiser without anyone getting hurt.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Amen to that!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers,
Canuck

Interesting. I sent you a PM with the particulars. Sounds like they probably haven't fixed the law, or created a permit to address the situation, but are instead managing it by ignoring the law.

I still wouldn't do it myself, but I have heard of more and more guys transiting the US with firearms. Perhaps the airlines put some pressure on the State Department to ignore this one (which is effectively what was happening prior to 9/11).

The problem is, and really always was, what happens if you happen to get a Customs Agent that doesn't like firearms, and feels every non-resident alien with a firearm should have a permit for it? Its technically against the law for you to have possession of a firearm on US soil without an import permit, and one does not exist for you if you are then exporting it to a country other than the one of origin. As long as they ignore that fact, you are OK. Get the wrong guy/gal asking too many questions about it and you may not be!

Cheers,
Canuck
Canuck,the supervisor said that as long as I don't take posession of it at the airport.It costs 1000 dollars more to fly through europe with an 8 hr delay in one airport.With the US flight I will not be in an airpoort for more than an hour and my rifle will remain checked in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Shootaway, a suggestion to make arrangements for Alan to have access to a backup rifle and ammo just in case, regardless of your flight plans. And talk with him about shot placement, you don't want your PH shooting your buff if you can help it!
Good point.Although I was told they have rifles for me to rent,it would be smart to remind them beforehand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Amen to that!!
I was born a wise man!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Good point.Although I was told they have rifles for me to rent,it would be smart to remind them beforehand.Enjoyed reading your hunt report,Bill C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway
I will be hunting with Alan at the beginning of August so I will try not to work him too hard for you Wink
You asked Yukon what he is like to hunt with. He is that bad that I immediately rebooked him at the end of our hunt last July !!!
Seriously; he is a real pro. Quiet and calm yet hard working and keen as it gets.
He hardly drinks, but take him a bottle of Jack and a couple of bars of Toblerone. I am sure that he will be open to any ideas that you may have on shot placement, but take softs and solids and just follow his advice and you wont go wrong. For what it's worth he normally uses a 458 Win Mag as back up. Good luck with your hunt.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to my hunt report about Alan.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=560100986#560100986

Alan's a great guy and an excellent PH. Not only is he a good hunter but I like a guy who can tell you what every flower or tree is in 4 or 5 languages including Latin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Shootaway
I will be hunting with Alan at the beginning of August so I will try not to work him too hard for you Wink
You asked Yukon what he is like to hunt with. He is that bad that I immediately rebooked him at the end of our hunt last July !!!
Seriously; he is a real pro. Quiet and calm yet hard working and keen as it gets.
He hardly drinks, but take him a bottle of Jack and a couple of bars of Toblerone. I am sure that he will be open to any ideas that you may have on shot placement, but take softs and solids and just follow his advice and you wont go wrong. For what it's worth he normally uses a 458 Win Mag as back up. Good luck with your hunt.
Good luck on your hunt too R.Jolly! I will bring the chocolate and booze. I got a message from my smith and he says he will have my 458WM ready this week. I will post pics of his work on my CZ.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Toblerone is for Alan's wife. She can't get good chocolate in Zim. If you have room, you might bring a ball or a little boy's toy for Alan's son. Alan doesn't get to see his family much during the season and that would be a good thing for him to take home later to his young boy. He's about 3 or 4 years old.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway:

I want to follow up on my post about the shoulder shot. You have mentioned a "high" shoulder shot. I said I put the solid on the "point" of the buff's shoulder - an instant before he was turning towards me. I was never suggesting any kind of shot that was in the neck area -or any higher than the exact point of the shoulder itself. I feel compelled to mention this to you because I have been reading posts of experienced people who have shot buff and I don't want you to think that I was advocating any kind of idea that if the bullet didn't smash the shoulder -that a neck bullet entry would do. I mean to emphasize what my PH told me "Break bones" -and in my case the 300 gr. solid literally smashed the shoulder -and kept going and bone was sprayed into the lungs. This is one very tough critter to put down. (I saw the results in the camp butchery that evening and was awed that the buff had even managed to stagger 40 yards or so before collapsing. I believe still that my PH was right about his advice "Break bones" -but I definitely want to say that I would not rely on soft tissue damage to help along putting down the buff. Maybe I was just lucky. (My "insurance shot" (at about 40 feet and after he collapsed in a sitting position like a cow lying in a pasture chewing its cud) went through his heart.(I saw the heart in the butchery with a bullet through it) Still when we walked up, the buff tried to get up. I used a third shot before the festivities were over. This ain't caribou, I'll tell you! Smiler I know you'll enjoy the hunt of your life!

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]shot placement[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 inches down and 6 inches to the right is where I hit mine. Broke the shoulder and went right through the middle of the heart-end of story!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote