Find
Notify
Tools

???? about hunting in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All,

I'm looking for information/comments from anyone who has hunted in the Zambezi Escarpemt area of Zimbabwe, particualrly for buffalo or leopard. I've hunted in Zim before but not in this area.

For those of you who have hunted this area, if you would please what was your impression of:
the amount of game you saw; average....plentiful....pitiful?
the number of different species?
what was the area like; forested/thick....open/grassy...combination of both?

After conversing at length with an outfitter at the SCI show I'm very interested in making a booking for a hunt with him in this particular area but before I do I'd like to get some "un-biased" perspectives from anyone who has been in this area.

Again, I'm not looking for information about outfitters but info on the area and wildlife.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Longfeather

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know how large the escarpment is? Be more specific and there is a great deal of experience on this forum.

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Which concession, the escarpment is pretty big!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Makuti twice. Have taken Buffalo (cow) x 2, seen some real nice Dugga Boys, taken Tuskless x 2, Zebra, Baboons x 2, and a monster leopard!

Makuti is great for leopard because there is not as much plains game as other areas, so once you get some bait swinging in the wind, any cat that hits it is likely to keep coming back. It's a bit of a double edged sword in that regard, but I have no complaints!

Plenty of Buff and Elephant.

The area is extremely mountainous. Expect to work hard and get into the best shape you can for your particular physical limitations, if you have any. If you want to see the terrain and what a Tuskless hunt is like there, watch my Ele video clip with CMS which is probably on page 3 or 4 at this time. That video was in Makuti with the Valley in the far distance.

I can't comment on other escarpment concessions.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The Zambezi follows the total length of the northern border of Zimbabwe with the escarpment starting at Victoria Falls, along the southern edge of Lake Kariba then on through the Lower Zambezi Parks and Safari Areas. This land includes "campfire" Communal land, Ranches (including stolen land) and Parks "Safari Areas".
The parks Safari Areas are probably the pick but do come at a higher cost. Some areas are water dependent which makes them seasonal.
The escarpment can be quite rugged in parts (some areas come to mind real fast).
Generally good for both game species you noted with the Leopard being usually smaller in the Safari areas than in the farming parts. Like all of Zim, Leopard in Park's areas can not be legally taken with artificial light yet the other areas, it's almost impossible to do without this aid.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
hunted in the Escarpment (Makuti) in September. Some very mountanious country, varies from very open to quiet thick. Saw plenty of Ele, and Buff. Plains game numbers are as to be expected for the area, no huge herds but some high quality trophies. Did not hunt Leopard but know my PH took some "Toads" of Leopard during the season.

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gents are all spot on ref: the size of area covered by the "Escarpment/Valley" - it is simply large and unfortunately I have not hunted the entire area as a PH, but I have in Sapi, Chewore and Dande. If I said that every single hunt was successful and without event, I'd be a liar, but I will tell you that these areas have some fantastic hunting!!!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info so far.

The area is in Chewore / Mukwichi.

The outfitter is Silwanni Hunters.

Any additional information or if you know of anyone who has hunted with this outfitter that I could contact as a reference would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks again,
Longfeather

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longfeather1:
Thank you all for the info so far.

The area is in Chewore / Mukwichi.

The outfitter is Silwanni Hunters.

Any additional information or if you know of anyone who has hunted with this outfitter that I could contact as a reference would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks again,
Longfeather

Interesting because "Lowveld Hunters" pulled out of Mukwichi approx 3 years ago - I would assume the only reason an operator would leave is because the area was not producing. I recommend you contact someone who has personally been guided on a hunt in the last 5 years to ask their opinion on this area.

The hunting in Chewore (North and South) is booked through Chifuti Safaris, so I would assume that the hunt would be booked through them - if not, mmmmmmmmm.........!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is Silwanni Hunters- sounds like a yet another "professional oufit" from south of the border! Mandlazim is correct Lowveld hunters left that area because it was concidered depleted-If it isnt now it certainly will be after a year or two of unscrupulous SA guys hunting there!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Silwane Market Matetsi Unit 2 and Mukwichi. I have been told by some of their PH's that hunting is extremely difficult in Mukwichi due to rough terrain and more importantly lack of quality game. I definitely wouldn't hunt there.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too often have we seen/heard of unsuspecting hunters get involved in either the wrong area or with the wrong outfitter. I know nothing of this outfitter but I do know that Mukwichi has seen better days!

Rather go with one of the reputable outfitters in a good concession in the Z.Valley and be part of what a good hunt should be!

One only has to ask the question - "who should I hunt with in the Zambezi Valley?" and I am sure the many experienced hunters here on AR will furnish you with all the details you require!! Heck, Buzz in a Mankini may even be good enough!!!

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ma Baker:
African Silwane Market Matetsi Unit 2 and Mukwichi. I have been told by some of their PH's that hunting is extremely difficult in Mukwichi due to rough terrain and more importantly lack of quality game. I definitely wouldn't hunt there.

Was not Matetsi 2 the area Bouna had?

Was not there major problems there in the past year in Matetsi 2 and that is why Bouna (or Bouma) was given quota elsewhere?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Silwanni Hunters is who the folks at Cabelas recommended when I stopped by at the SCI show last week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that no one is hunting Matetsi Unit 2 or at least hunting it legally. There seems to be a argument between the legal concession holder who has the backing of parks and wildlife vs an outfit that is backed by the minister of home affairs.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot1961:
I believe Silwanni Hunters is who the folks at Cabelas recommended when I stopped by at the SCI show last week.

What a shambles.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of these guys,and I been a PH in Zim for 20 years. I did hunt Mukwichi about 7 years ago,and vowed never to go back there.I love mountains and the walking,but the land is baron

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot1961:

well, if Cabelas recommends them, they must be good---NOT!!!! Cabelas has a long and checkered history of booking for shall we say dubious outfitters.i recall a fairly recent lawsuit filed against them over a hunt gone bad in Namibia that they had booked.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Who are we talking about Silwanni or African Silwane Hunters?

I suspect they are two different groups.

I know Silwane, never heard of Silwanni.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I am pretty certain it is African Silwane Hunters.

Compare their Zim page to Cabelas Zim Page.

http://www.africansilwanehunters.com/zimbabwe.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/africa-...ezi-escarpment.shtml

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is 100% correct that Cabelas book safaris with African Silwane. Did not hunt Unit 2 last season due to a fiasco over who actually had the concession. African Silwane previously traded under the name Inyathi hunters. How do I know this? Had a hunt booked with them in unit 2 last year that had to be changed due to Mrs Dube losing the concession. With the assistance of this forum and Barry Styles I was able to hunt on Kazuma next door.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PH's previously used by Silwane on unit 2 include the likes of Darren Ellerman, Guy Venter, Guav Johnson and Dean Stobbs. Assume they are Zim PH's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ma Baker:
PH's previously used by Silwane on unit 2 include the likes of Darren Ellerman, Guy Venter, Guav Johnson and Dean Stobbs. Assume they are Zim PH's?
....who didn't get paid for the hunts they did.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would Cabela's keep promoting Silwane? When I stopped by Cabela's booth and asked about a buffalo hunt...Silwane was first response and Pro-Safaris Africa was second. Doesn't make sense to tarnish reputation if there is a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am scheduled to hunt Matetsi 2 with African Silwane this May. 10 day Buffalo. Scheduled it two years ago after someone I trust implicitly recommended them. I believe that Darren Ellerman is scheduled to be my PH, so I guess he is still working with them. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry- suggest you get confirmation that they have Unit 2 this year. As per previous thread it was not hunted last year due to a stand off between the two supposed concession holders. I am told that the dispute is still not sorted. Last thing you need is a last minute move to Mukwichi!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
This July I ran into some folks (P.H. and hunter) who were scheduled for Matetsi 2 and were forced to hunt elsewhere when "ownership" changed during the time I was in Matetsi 3 (with HHK). They weren't happy.

On the road that separated Matetsi 3 & 2, it was a sad hoot to drive by the sign the new concession holder had put up. It contained misspellings, a picture of an animal thereupon that looked like a 2nd grader painted it (species unknown) and everything had big drip marks of paint drooling down it.

If the quality of the new concession holder is anywhere on par with the sign-painter, I would avoid Matetsi 2 like the plague.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have confirmed twice that I am scheduled for Matetsi 2. Also confirmed that We will have Zim PHs.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Terry! I really hope you have a good hunt, specifically a legal one for an American.

Do not be put off badly by the comments made to you here. These are voices of experience and several have on-the-ground knowledge.

Please be very cautious. It looks like you've been a member of AR for a long time based on your info here. We've always had many legitimate safari oufits, PH's and booking agencies available to provide an outstanding hunt. I often wonder why people will book with an outfit, ect that has sketchy backgrounds when there are so many excellent tried and true outfits right here on AR who most certainly get vetted by the family (the AR membership) with a fine tooth comb and a pair of nitrile gloves!

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry R,
Sent you a PM.

regards,
Longfeather

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hunting Report has a report on a trip to Matetsi with African Selwane in 2008 (Matetsi #1), 2009 (#2) and 2010 (#2). PHs listed are Dean Stobbs in 2008 and 2009 and Darren Ellerman in 2008 and 2010. All three reports are positive.
They apparently have been active there for a few years, if anyone has concrete information regarding any current issues I would appreciate hearing from you.
Ganyana, you made a serious allegation regarding PHs not getting paid, since these are the same PHs scheduled for my hunt this year I would like to know if you got your information from them directly or was it something "heard around the campfire".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry

As the chairman of ZPHGA, I was approached by several PHs about lack of payment at our 2011 AGM ( Oct ), several of them from the Matetsi areas. Bouna obtained unit 2 at the end of 2010 and as far as I know not much hunting occurred there in 2011 due to disagreements between Bouna and Mrs Dube, Silwane hunters have acquired Mukwishi, Guy Venter and I assume Darren Ellerman hunt Mukwishi, Guav still hunts Cameroon and dean Stobbs I believe has gone on his own starting a company called DWD adventures. I am positive that if you contact your PH's and or Silwane hunters you will get a true idea of where your safari will take place. Good luck and have a great time in Zimbabwe

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin, I have been told twice in the last month, once via email, once in Las Vegas that we will be hunting Matetsi #2 and Our PHs will be Darren Ellerman and Guy Venter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry R-

I was booked to hunt Unit 2 this season with friends with Guav Johnson (hunted with him in 2009) and since the ownership issue has not been resolved we are going to hunt in 2013, if not Matetsi 2, than somewhere. Talked with Guav right before he left for Cameroon and the latest word I got was their person was in Harare last week working on the issue.

It may be rectified before your hunt, and I hope so.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Terry, have a fantastic hunt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will report back after the trip. Hopefully all will go well.