New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas Safari Shirts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quite a few years ago, I began wearing Cabelas safari shirts when I was doing field collections and stream surveys. The zippered pocket's are perfect for cell phones and hearing aids when crawling around in the brush or working in a wetland or stream. When I went on my plains game hunt, I wore them. Although they were starting to wear, the long sleeves and roll up tabs and the pockets served me well. I still remember the freshly ironed cotton smell when the afternoon sun baked on my back. I wear them hunting here in Virgina most of the season as it really doesn't get cold here.
This winter the management mentioned something about wearing raggy old shirts. The collars are worn through and they are a bit lighter and thin.
My search of Cabelas showed they were discontinued. I almost bought some used ones on fleabay. More searching found the same cotton shirts with the zippered and flap pockets at:
https://www.walkabout.com/prod...vap6FR8aAopBEALw_wcB
The three i ordered arrived today. I know we all have different preferences for hunting shirts, but if anyone else is looking for the old Cabelas safari shirt, this is pretty darn close.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice,

I have been buying tactical flavored stuff from Tru-Spec for as long as I figured out that 5-11 Tactical was like a cheap motel and had no ball room. Every time I consider safariesque clothing like I used to buy from Cabelas the price scares me away. I will also say that I enjoy the expandable waist that the Tru-Spec offers.

Orvis options at $100 https://www.orvis.com/p/bush-shirt/21le

I'd like to try these Orvis pants, https://www.orvis.com/p/14-poc...on-poplin-pants/2j3l

Here is the shirt made by Courtney https://www.africansportingcre...om/safari-shirt.html also $100

Similar animal from TAG safari https://www.tagsafari.com/mens...irt-long-sleeve.html $59

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I will have to live to be 100 and go on 5 safaris/year to wear out the hunting shirts I have had for 20 years....They get worn for 2 or so weeks a year. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the TAG shirts. Two things though. The dye lots are inconsistent. They won't be the same year to year and can vary greatly, but that's no big deal. Also, I always re-sew the buttons as soon as I get them.

Posts: 10304 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess these people used to have some affiliation with Willis and Geiger:

https://avedoncolby.com/shop/signature-field-shirt/ $200

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have used the older 2009 Cabela's shirts, the 100% cotton were better than the blend ones that sounded like a band when walking by thorn trees and bushes, not that Africa has any. I just gave my older Cabela's shirts to the clothing drive as they were no longer fitting.

The TAG shirts, while nice last one trip, plus the neck are for a pencil. I gave up on TAG shirts after my 3 trip to Africa. One of the shirts developed a big tear the first time I wore it in the field, while walking in thick cover. It became a camp give away, and it was highly sought after by the trackers.

I have taken a few shirts from SCI that I picked up at the museum in Tucson that are 100% cotton. Wash and iron up real nice, they have not taken a beating while hunting.

The DSC shirts, purchased at the DSC store at the convention, the blend one is nice however noisy while walking in the bush, the 100% cotton one is real nice and quiet.

I do like the shirts from Schnee's out of Montana they are quiet and 100% cotton and again wash and iron up nicely.
These shirts are very nice and I wear them all the time at home in the winter, they go well with an under shirt.

I try to take a few long sleeve shirts and short sleeve shirts along on my trips. Plus one to wear flying both ways, put it in the laundry when you arrive and it is all ready to wear going home, same thing for some pants and compression socks.

For my next trip (that is if there is a next trip), I take clothing that I will leave behind, like I did in 2019 for my Namibia trip, just come home with the clothing you wore flying over. This makes packing real easy, my carry on bag will fit in my tuff-pak and my checked bag becomes my carry on bag.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not see any shirts at the SCI museum when I went there in December.

I'll check DSC to see what they have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://dscmember.com/product/...sleeve-safari-shirt/ Here is the DSC shirt, I am pretty sure it is from Boyt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few of the Tag shirts, but didn't feel they held up well. Reasonably priced, though. My favorites now are the Courteny Selous shirts. Available from African Sporting Creations or from Westley Richards in the UK. The Orvis bush shirt is nice, too, but is heavier than the Courteny or Tag shirts.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the walkabout shirt, size large. It's always interesting ordering shirts online. Some the medium is the proper fit, others large. It was handy that the Walkabout web site has a chart with chest and waist measurements.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I did not see any shirts at the SCI museum when I went there in December.

I'll check DSC to see what they have.

SCI museum had a limited supply when I purchased mine November 2018.

DSC convention shopping room has shirts that are only available at the convention, from what I found. The Bob Allen & Beretta shooting shirts are nice.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your hunting is to be in Zimbabwe, and you're spending a bit of time in Bulawayo, I suggest shopping at "Giga's" for your shirts, etc.

The shirts I initially purchased were LAZY SAM, and these were/are great. I understand the shirt design changed somewhat, and the name of the shirt is now, SALTY.
These shirts are 100% cotton, and have the tabs for the LS, and the pockets have small velcro keepers.

I have a number of each named shirts. And, as they say in Zim..."they are mushi"

Forgot to mention...these shirts are made in Zimbabwe. Not China

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too like the old Cabelas Serengeti shirts. Thanks for the line to something similar.

In the zipper pockets I carry a small camera and my passport both in zip lock bags. I have found the individual cartridge slips to be very handy when carrying a double rifle. I do not get into a vehicle with a round in the chamber. You can unload a DG double rifle and put the two rounds in the cartridge slips and have two spare rounds in the other two slips. I can reload the spare two rounds more quickly than I can from a waist mounted ammo belt.

The slips are not very useful for plains game rounds as a 300 Win. slips in too far and is difficult to remover. However, with a magazine rifle I just push the first round down into the magazine and close the bolt on a empty chamber before getting into the vehicle.

Again thanks. As an Engineer I look for function and comfort and the old Serengeti was the best I have found. Hopefully Cabelas will put it back into production without cheapening the quality or construction.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I am a big guy so limited availability of shirts but I have come to love Columbia Bonehead 100% cotton long sleeve shirts. Shirts are onsale now for $33. Quiet in the bush and lots of pockets and colors

https://www.columbia.com/mens-...l#q=bonehead&start=6

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway, Schnees and Boyts all have close out prices on their safari stuff right now.

Close out being relative, most are still $40-80 each.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
If it’s made in US, I don’t really care if it is expensive
Just hate now even more Made in China

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty rare anymore to find anything not made in China.

Thank God, that we have not fell into the concept that it is ok to import Chinese vehicles like the Britts and Australians did.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Boyt shirts are very well made, and are made in Taiwan, not in China. Going forward I’m making a conscious effort to avoid things made in China, so was glad to see Taiwan when I looked at my shirt tags.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the safari shirts with the extra zippered front pocket vs. the velcro tab pockets. The velcro is way too noisy to open if game is close by. A zippered pocket can slowly be opened silently. Same goes for buttoned pockets, but the zipper is more secure IMHO. Just my preference.

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller/DLS:

Great comments!

Posts: 2661 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess these people used to have some affiliation with Willis and Geiger:

https://avedoncolby.com/shop/signature-field-shirt/ $200

Thanks for the link. An interesting story of the couple that crowd funded the design of that shirt. I was intrigued so ordered one to check it out.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I usually just wear my chest hair.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
When Bass Pro Shops bought out Cabelas the Serengeti Shirts were discontinued. They were 100% Cotton, tear resistant and came in XL Tall, which is my size. Luckily, I bought six of them before the takeover, and they’ll last me the rest of my hunting life (I’m 73).

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
I am a big guy so limited availability of shirts but I have come to love Columbia Bonehead 100% cotton long sleeve shirts. Shirts are onsale now for $33. Quiet in the bush and lots of pockets and colors

[url=https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-bonehead-long-sleeve-shirt-
FM7120.html#q=bonehead&start=6]https://www.columbia.com/mens-...l#q=bonehead&start=6[/url]

I wear the Bonehead short sleeve shirts. Good colors, cool and lots of pockets. My Serengeti shirts were too hot.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Been using Cape Union Mart shirts for years - dark blue, dark green and sand. Not shrunk, not lost a single button and hardly faded. Very pleased. Likely never have to buy another hunting short for Africa, they are that good imo!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2320 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about every place I have hunted has given me a shirt .. I don't think I have ever bought a "safari" shirt.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I really like the safari shirts with the extra zippered front pocket vs. the velcro tab pockets. The velcro is way too noisy to open if game is close by. A zippered pocket can slowly be opened silently. Same goes for buttoned pockets, but the zipper is more secure IMHO. Just my preference.

….. Big Grin Why would you be opening a Velcro pocket with game close by? Were you going to show him your passport? jumping

Just kidding! However I like the Velcro pocket because it is impossible to loose anything kept in that pocket.
I still have two or three of the old Cabela's shirts with the zip pockets, and three of the newer once with the Velcro type that have been hunted in many countries over the years. But it will be a cool day in hell when I pay $200 for a dammed shirt of any make.
..................…...…. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

….. Big Grin Why would you be opening a Velcro pocket with game close by? Were you going to show him your passport? jumping

Just kidding!

What Mac?! You mean you've never been pulled over by a pissed off Leopard in a Leopard blind and asked for your driver's license, proof of insurance and passport? What are you doing right that I am not.... Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Just kidding!

What Mac?! You mean you've never been pulled over by a pissed off Leopard in a Leopard blind and asked for your driver's license, proof of insurance and passport? What are you doing right that I am not.... Big Grin

I just show them my carry permit to carry concealed, and he goes back to feeding on the bait! hilbily
…...…...……...…...…......……. tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 511 shirts, long or short sleeve. The pockets are functional, room for most anything you would need/want to carry in your shirt. There are several different fabrics that are great for hot or cooler weather.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.11 shirts are nice, but their pants are like a cheap motel.... no ball room!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's funny right there! rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great thread, as I have been in mourning for my beloved but discontinued Cabela's shirts for some time now. And don't even ask me about the last Eddie Bauer safari shirt I wore out 10 years ago.
I have gotten by with the L.L. Bean shirt, but it is not as durable as the Cabelas, especially when washed in our hard water here in south-central New Mexico.
The Cabe;a's shirt with zippered pocket was fabulous for securely carrying a passport, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16621 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Now that's funny right there! rotflmo

I remember the first time I tried a pair and felt the squish. I have kept trying them and I still don't like them. I am a Tru-Spec guy!

Blackhawks are ok, but the waistline is like a 1980's Jordache models. Really high. They also feel strange in the seat.

I have been making the joke about 5.11 pants forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://schnees.com/boddington-safari-shirt/

These were $85 yesterday and then Schnees went full retard and raised the price back to $125.

I guess I should have ordered a couple yesterday. Not sure if I like the design or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still like the TAG. Affordable. Yes, they make one or two trips at most. And I carry a sewing kit and have patched them with the ones that didn't make it.
But some of the pricey shirts that have been suggested could still get ripped to shreds on thorns.

Posts: 10304 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: 04 May 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have always worn Filson shirts for safari and other hunting. I can't seem to wear them out.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky in I bought 3 of each color (except the "camo" one) of both long sleeve and short of the serengeti shirt a number of years ago. They wear like iron and still look pretty decent. I've only worn (some of) them on 1 safari, but suppose I have another decade worth in them at least. Great shirt.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Stay skinny, Brandon! Big Grin tu2